↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 300tdi bottom hose size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
300tdi bottom hose size
Does anyone know what the inside diameter of the bottom radiator hose is on a 300? I’m looking at adding a drain plug in line as it’s an absolute Censored to remove the bottom hose to drain the coolant, which is happening quite often at the moment as I slowly refurbish the whole coolant system. It would also help me save coolant from splashing everywhere so I can reuse it.
Thanks in advance.
Post #803416 24th Nov 2019 7:39pm
donmacn

I have a spare somewhere that I can measure if I can find it.

But I thought I'd also suggest an alternative, which is to use a siphon hose into the radiator, other end into a collection bucket or an old Adblue bottle.

There's a version of the 'trapped jiggly ball' siphon kit which will fit down the radiator plug.

This way, you can certainly get most of the coolant out without removing the bottom hose at all. I think I picked this up from a youtube video somewhere.

In fact, just thinking about it, a drain in the bottom hose would need to be pretty trustworthy, or it would be the worst possible place to have a coolant leak.

Siphon hose like this sort of thing https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-jiggle-siphon-hose-20mm-x-1-75m Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #803426 24th Nov 2019 8:43pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
It is risky and I had thought about a siphon but thought if I had a drain plug I could give the radiator a flush out every time I changed the coolant, but thinking about it now, I’m only going to need to do that every couple of years so maybe I’m asking for trouble. I’ll have a better look at proper siphons.
Thanks donmacn.
Post #803441 24th Nov 2019 10:10pm
donmacn

Thumbs Up

I think the critical thing is getting something to fit into the filler/radiator plug. I have two of those siphon things, one fits and one doesn't.

Last time, I couldn't find the one that fits, so ended up with the old-school approach of sucking coolant up a hose. Yuk.

You need to fiddle the hose right down into the bottom corner of the rad, and opening the expansion tank cap, and the thermostat housing plug lets air into the system so that the coolant drains better into the radiator.

There's usually something left in the pipes, but I reckon I'll get about 80-90% of it out.

In fact this is a handy reminder to find the one that fits - as the engine's coming out later this week! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #803446 24th Nov 2019 10:40pm
Horneteer

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Firenze Red
Here's another idea:

I cut the bottom hose on the leg that goes to the expansion bottle about 50mm from the main hose and fitted a 15mm solder ring tee with a compression fitting service valve on the third leg. The open end of the valve is capped with a compression blank to keep the crud out and as a failsafe for the valve.

When I need to drain the coolant, I remove the blank, fit a tube with a hose attached, place the hose in a suitable container and open the valve. The coolant ends up in the container and not all over the front of the car and the drive. On a plus point, if you're draining for something other than a coolant change, it keeps the coolant clean and re-useable.

Paul
Post #803451 24th Nov 2019 11:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1