↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Key fob not opening doors or turning off alarm, wont start!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
Key fob not opening doors or turning off alarm, wont start!
I have read through the many pages of issues with vehicles not starting and AS10 issues. However I am unsure if I have this issue or I have cocked up when replacing the Fob battery?

The issue I had was I could not open the central locking with the fob one day, so opened the door with the key and promptly set the alarm off when I opened the door. Couldn't get the vehicle started as I think the immobilizer was still active. I assumed this was a problem with the battery in the key fob, so started using the spare fob with no issues. I changed the battery in the duf fob but kept using the spare instead.

No issues until I returned from a 2 week holiday, started ok and drove 45mins to a shoot I was on. Stopped for the first drive and then key fob wouldn't open the vehicle, same as before used the key to open the doors and then alarm activated when I entered and vehicle wouldn't start. After 5-10mins of alarm going on and off and me pushing the unlock button on the fob the vehicle eventually started, all the time being ridiculed by the Japanese pick-up brigade. For the rest of the day I didn't lock the truck, but before starting I did need to push the unlock button once (to reset immobilizer I assume?) but it started no problem every time.

Anyone any idea what's going on? Is the battery on the spare fob now also on its way out? Should I replace the battery and see what happens or am I likely to have a problem with the as10 unit? I am not technically minded so any help much appreciated but please keep it in simple terms Smile thanks

vehicle is a 2011 110 double cab pick-up with 38k miles if that is relevant.
Post #802533 17th Nov 2019 6:48am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I recently had same symptoms, replaced batteries all worked fine. Started to use the spare fob, that went flat quickly, presumably due to the age of the batteries.
First step, just replace the battery! It's only a CR2032. If that doesn't help, people who know a lot more than me will be on the way shortly!

Reason it starts at this time of year is dropping temperatures mean the battery delivers a lower voltage. If you're away from home, warm the fob and it should open.
Until you can replace the battery, just lock the door with the key as this stops the alarm being set.
Post #802535 17th Nov 2019 7:17am
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
As suggested, change the battery in both fobs, its cheap and easy, and see what happens. It is possible the battery on the spare fob is also low.

Resync the fobs after replacing the battery by pressing the unlock button four times.
Post #802606 17th Nov 2019 7:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1