↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Under The Bonnet Upgrades?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Under The Bonnet Upgrades?
I've just bought a new Garrett turbo from Turner Engineering and will be getting Alisports XL rad, intercooler etc. once I hear back from them about availability. I've treated the truck to silicone hoses too. My question is, what else should I be considering fitting at the same time?
I'm not trying to beat anything off the lights but want the truck to be able to pull anything easily up the steep hills round here and to look good under the bonnet!
Suspension, lockers etc. will be taken care of next year. I want to look after the engine first. Thumbs Up
Post #801446 9th Nov 2019 8:34am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
If you can find any second hand, Twisted used to sell stainless steel intercooler pipework for the 300tdi to replace the restricted standard lower pipe and the over long rubber / silicon top pipe which is prone to swelling under boost.

I doubt they do any now as they’ve moved onto greater things. I’ve had a set on mine for the past 10 years or more.

I fitted the Allisport intercooler at the same time, and a bit later the alloy cyclone breather (mainly to cure the annoying oil leak they always develop) and header tank.
Post #801451 9th Nov 2019 8:53am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
Ps fitting the aircon nose makes fitting the Allisport full width intercooler a lot easier, otherwise the standard grille surround is rammed right up against the cooler and still needs bits cut off it.

The aircon noses are pretty cheap now for pattern ones but that wasn’t the case ten years ago, I think mine cost almost as much as the intercooler.
Post #801453 9th Nov 2019 9:08am
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Cheers Oldowner, I'm pretty much replacing everything I can under the bonnet with the Alisport stuff, including the XL surround for rad/intercooler.
I've bought the full set of silicone hoses which I think includes the pipes you mentioned. Thumbs Up
Post #801455 9th Nov 2019 9:16am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
While you are at Allisport check out header tank, airbox, oil catch can and power steering reservoir.

With the other stuff you have mentioned your under bonnet bling will be pretty much sorted then. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #801466 9th Nov 2019 10:30am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I fitted the Alisport intercooler to my 110 300tdi and did not notice much improvement.

Then I took it to Gwyn Lewis for "Injection pump optimisation". I had a very wide grin after the test drive.

My 110 commercial (relatively speaking) flew! Very Happy Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #801522 9th Nov 2019 5:19pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
I've been trying to give Alisport my business but can't get hold of them, 4 emails and phone calls this week and nothing back! Anyone else have trouble?
I'm sending the truck into Devon 4x4 cause I just don't have the time to do it myself so I'll get them to look at "injection pump optimisation ". Thumbs Up
Post #802195 14th Nov 2019 7:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1