↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Screen fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Screen fitting
Anyone fitted there own heated windscreen after this morning I think I will finally get mine fitted.
Post #799812 28th Oct 2019 7:55pm
v8steve

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
i did mine a while ago. and have done several non heated.
strong nylon cord and some sort of lube.
someone inside working the string. someone on the outside tapping screen home with palm of hand.
and take your time.
good luck 110 xs s/wagon
s3 swb soft top
Post #799814 28th Oct 2019 8:24pm
tolley

thanks Steve
Post #799820 28th Oct 2019 8:43pm
Horneteer

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Firenze Red
I fitted my heated screen when I rebuilt my truck, took it out and put it back in again on my own, fairly easy to do but take your time and ease it in gently but firmly.

To take the old screen out if you're not going to re-use the seal then cut the outer face off with a knife and remove the glass then the remaining rubber from the frame. If you'r re-using the seal, only recommended if its fairly new and supple, then gently push the glass out from the inside while flipping the inner lip of the seal off of the screen frame. It takes a while and you may have to go around the frame a few times to coax the glass out. Work the glass out as a whole but make sure the top edge comes free first then it wont drop, and can be lifted away.

Lay the screen down on a padded surface and fit the rubber. Use some 5 to 6mm cord (any thinner and it will try to cut into the seal) and feed it through a clean sealant cartridge nozzle to feed it into the groove in the rubber, leaving an overlapped loop at one a pillar and overlapped ends at the other, tape the ends and loop to the inside of the glass to keep them in place when putting in to the frame.

Click image to enlarge

Lube the windscreen frame, I used some plain tyre soap as it's slippy but leaves no residue.
Place the glass/seal assembly into the frame and carefully pull the string with one hand to flip the seal around the lip of the frame while applying pressure to the outside face of the glass with your other hand to hold it in place in the frame. Pull the corners in order 1 to 4 whilst making sure the glass stays central in the frame and then gently ease the top and bottom straights into place. Give the glass a few firm pats with the flat of your hand to seat the seal in fully. Check that the inner seal lip is seated around the frame and you're done.

It sounds a bit daunting but take it steady and don't rush and it's actually quite easy.

Hope that helps

Paul
Post #800266 31st Oct 2019 10:36pm
V8GPC

United Kingdom 
Great write up Paul - this should be a Sticky Thumbs Up
Post #800277 1st Nov 2019 7:49am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
good write up makes it sound very easy.

i have done 6 or so screens and pretty much as above. i tend to use para cord -, strong and smooth outside sheath. Plus fairy liquid as thats what i had to hand as a lubricant.

my string loop starts/ends by the internal mirror.

ideal time to do it is in the summer with sun on the screen/seal so its nice and malleable. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #800278 1st Nov 2019 7:54am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I wouldn't bogther getting a heated screen again though.... mine had been in for nesrly 10 yesars now, and probably only 10% of the screen actually heats up now, broken wires inside the glass. and it was as genuine LR glass.

For the 4 or 5 times a year I'd use it, defintely not worth it... and the rest of the year you keep seeing the wires in certain lights.
Post #800280 1st Nov 2019 7:57am
tolley

Many thanks Paul ,will be very helpful did you take much trim off inside ,the 2 corner pillars anything else.
Post #800287 1st Nov 2019 8:39am
jst

mines been in 9 years only two strands dont work and its used nearly daily over the winter here. wired the mirrors heater elements in on the same switch, all works a treat. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #800291 1st Nov 2019 9:49am
jst

two corner pillars is all that need to come off. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #800292 1st Nov 2019 9:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
diesel_jim wrote:
I wouldn't bogther getting a heated screen again though.... mine had been in for nesrly 10 yesars now, and probably only 10% of the screen actually heats up now, broken wires inside the glass. and it was as genuine LR glass.

For the 4 or 5 times a year I'd use it, defintely not worth it... and the rest of the year you keep seeing the wires in certain lights.

Just for balance, I wouldn't be without my heated screen, the best thing since sliced bread IMO. I use it regularly, and not just when it's freezing - it is great for quick demist action as well. After about ten years or so I have one strand which isn't working, and despite a huge stone chip (fortunately just below the passenger side wiper park position) the elements in that area are fine. I think however that the gradually spreading delamination that has started from the chip will eventually be the death knell of this screen.

I would only ever use genuine Pilkington screens, either LR or Pilkington branded.
Post #800294 1st Nov 2019 9:54am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I also wouldn't be without my heated screen. As blackwolf says ideal for speedy demisting.

Mine is a nordglass unit and has been in for 6 years without a single broken element Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #800299 1st Nov 2019 10:31am
dorsetsmith

windscreen demisting with j cloth lightly soaked in washing up liquid and dry,use in the inside of windscreen and side windows will help stop missing up
Post #800317 1st Nov 2019 12:49pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Two bits of advice - new windscreen seals are about £20 (ironically some of the best to fit have been Britpart as they're nice and supple) so it's not really worth trying to reuse them. And to aid fitting put some fairly liquid into a bucket with warm water and leave the seal in it while you're removing the old screen.

When I fitted mine with the aid of a friend we started from the upper middle portion of the screen. The friend had done a number of windscreens on older vehicles and found if you started from the corners sometimes the frame wasn't quite true and leaving a corner until last was an absolute sod. He was on the inside and I was outside on the bonnet gently applying pressure has he removed the cord evenly on either side working from centre out. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #800327 1st Nov 2019 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1