↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Trailer wiring woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
Trailer wiring woes
Hi all, got my self a solid trailer but needed bit doing , but was the right price ,

Anyhow - plugged it in to my Landy, and nout on the lights , not a glimmer or a bad earthing wooly lights,
So whilst getting new bearings etc, I brought one new led light units and a new male plug for the other end of the cable,

So done all this nicely, soldered connectors and all that,
Still nothing Rolling Eyes
Sadly as all my tools are in storage ( that’s why I brought the trailer to go oop north to collect them ) I have no means of testing any further,
I used to have a couple of different trailers in the past and never had I sniff of a electrical issue ,

I have just brought a plug in socket tester but that won’t be here till early next week,

The Landry’s towing electrics are a genuine plug in loom, so no nasty scotch locks or twisted wires and tape Laughing

Sadly I have no access to an other trailers or anything as a test,

The ONLY Thing that’s changed is the side lights, indicators and stop/ tail lights have all been changed for a new wiper led set and the supplied new flasher unit, this was plug n play and worked straight outa the box,

So - for coffee and bacon sarnies is any one kind enough to come round and check it out please ?

Thanks in advance
Post #799506 25th Oct 2019 6:29pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Cheap Maypole or similar trailer board to get you over the immediate problem?

I did that on an old Sankey and about fifteen years later it's still there Whistle ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #799595 26th Oct 2019 9:22am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
If you have no lights at all on the trailer I would suggest that it is the earth connection as that is the common connection to all lights. I ran a separate earth for the land rover socket as I didn't like the one fitted, I have seen trailer wiring were the earth from the plug goes to the trailer chassis and the earth on the individual lights are connected to the chassis, it may be worth checking to see if trailer earth is connected . Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #799596 26th Oct 2019 9:40am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Have you got an electrical test lamp ? If not go and get one as it’s the single most useful tool for sorting Censored electrics . If you’re getting nothing at all then I would suggest it’s a fuse in the vehicle but I’m assuming you’ll have checked that.
If that’s okay get your test lamp , place a crocodile clip somewhere on a tow bar nut pop your indicator on and poke each connector on your vehicles trailer plug systematically . Then do the same but with brake applied , then lights on etc .
If you get nothing , check your loom is connected ! If you’re in a 110 it’s up inside the rear righ quarter panel behind a mud shield .
Good luck https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #799655 27th Oct 2019 7:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1