↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > LRM Letter of the Month November 2019 issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Huttopia wrote:
It is a crashingly dull letter, so regardless of who wrote it there is no justification for it being in a magazine, let alone letter of the month. A bumbling ramble of unconnected half stories does not constitute a letter worthy of publication.

Absolutely Huttopia. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Post #797595 10th Oct 2019 4:05pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Difficult one this first because there is no hard proof that this John Connolly is indeed the same person that google has pulled up, and if some peoples assumptions are correct and this person has committed a crime against children, while this crime is horrendous it sadly does not exclude the prisoner from writing letters or similarly exclude his letters from being published.

Rules are set down in a Prison Service Instruction entitled Prisoner Communication Services. These regulations also cover strict controls to prisoner’s access to the media. In most cases, inmates can write to media representatives, but the content will be closely monitored especially in the case of prisoners convicted of a sexual offence whom will have all their correspondence checked by internal security or public protection staff to ensure that nothing inappropriate is being communicated and that victims are protected. Maybe the magazine in question would have better served its readership by omitting in the signature HMP Wakefield I can only presume they must have had their own reasons for doing so.

Was it right to publish his letter I would have to reserve judgement until I had more concrete proof what the crime he committed was, also it must be noted that if the facts pulled up via goggle are true about this man then I feel the chances of his victim or victims reading his letter though not impossible would be very small. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #797730 11th Oct 2019 3:05pm
ajac8

A most interesting debate.

Like many I am vary wary of the all knowing internet and especially social media (spit) etc.

On a general note, I'm not convinced someone who participates in such vulgar activities and is proven guilty should ever be heard from again let alone have their opinions on whatever subject published. Yes its censorship lets live with it. When on earth do civil liberties get set aside? It really frustrates me that society protects those who are clearly evil. Do gooders are diluting society at every turn. Evil or Very Mad Wannabe Defender Owner - on the hunt.

2010 TDV8 Vogue SE Range Rover
1994 Hard Dash Classic (was once in in bits)
Post #797738 11th Oct 2019 3:59pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
he wont get the lamp I had letter of the month in may still not got it . given up hope will be cancelling my subscription near the due date . I showed the wife what was been said she worked a Doncaster prison . she said it was surprizing it had not only been published as there is rules and released from Wakefield prison . which is high security your likes of Huntley and Sutcliff reside there . the wife left after being held in a cell with a threat of being raped . there was two officers on the ward with 92 prisoners out of there cells . she a order picker now least I know she's coming home
Post #798072 14th Oct 2019 11:32am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Thanks for this. Can we infer the fact he's at Wakefield means he is more likely to be who he seems to be?
Post #798173 14th Oct 2019 7:09pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
A dangerous game to play, Joe.

Innocent people have been killed and seriously injured when assumptions and finger pointing about guilt have been assumed without actual evidence.

I think the only course of action would be to write to LRM and ask them whether they were sure in printing this letter, it hadn’t been written by this Guy and let them prove otherwise. I would say they have a duty of care in publishing to have carried out checks before going to press.
Post #798183 14th Oct 2019 7:24pm
Joe the Plumber

Fair enough. I looked into it as thoroughly as I could, given that all I could do was look online, and came to the conclusion it was written by the criminal it appeared to be from, but the last thing I wanted to do was falsely accuse someone who simply had the same name of such terrible crimes.

I wasn't sure if inmates at Wakefield are all guilty of the most serious crimes, or if there's just one bit of it that houses them.

I did email LRM, but haven't received a reply so far.
Post #798195 14th Oct 2019 7:53pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It doesn’t surprise me that they haven’t replied. I would have been more amazed if they had.

For what it’s worth, I think you have a very fair concern and I think LRM’s Editor is naive if not reckless to be publishing letters from a possible known criminal especially with these assumed convictions.

In the event the proverbial did hit the fan for what ever reason, I believe the buck stops with the Editor and there is also a certain amount of responsibility with regards to the Publishers and the Printers (not that there seems to be anything illegal about what has been published here as Gilarion has confirmed).

I did see whether LRM were a member of IPSO (Independent Press Standards Organisation). LRO (Bauer) are but it seems LRM aren’t so no point writing to them!
Post #798202 14th Oct 2019 8:17pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Given the content of much of the press in any form whether it be in comics or tomorrows chip wrappers(figuratively speaking nowadays as they're not deemed to be clean enough for food coverings), how can you be certain that what you read is actually fact? Great way not to send out any lamps if you've made up a story with as much controversy you can muster. Certainly got it to be a talking point on here, negative or not it will still keep them in the forefront of peoples minds Whistle
Post #798220 14th Oct 2019 9:45pm
andydef90

it may not be the same man just to note wakefield prisoners are under sentence and is a high security prison .
Post #798267 15th Oct 2019 11:33am
Joe the Plumber

Thanks Andy.

He's got the same name, he's the same age, he's from the same place, his working background (plant hire, then rail consultancy) is the same. That's why I thought he was probably the person. It could of course still be a coincidence though.
Post #798273 15th Oct 2019 12:09pm
NoDo$h

England 
Perhaps next month they'll have a letter from Jack Whomes extolling the wipe-clean qualities of classic Range Rover interiors? 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits

Last edited by NoDo$h on 15th Oct 2019 12:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #798284 15th Oct 2019 12:45pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I don't see that publishing a letter in a magazine as being a bad thing, or crossing any duty of care boundaries.

Although the reality varies from prison to prison, I would like to think that prisons should strive for rehabilitation: to engage with the outside world with focus on the positive outcomes of release rather than to ostracise, condemn and further isolate from society with high levels of associated recidivism that come with it. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #798286 15th Oct 2019 12:46pm
andydef90

i agree widget your spot on however a lot of people would not want a serious repeat offender next door . at the school i work at we now get informed of offenders in the area if they are associated with crimes against children . or if adults at risk it happens weekly . we have a safe house opposite the school thankfully we have a good relationship with the trust who run it . sadly its manly for battered women
Post #798289 15th Oct 2019 1:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123