Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
JordanBefender

United Kingdom 
ids wrote:
Zed wrote:
ids wrote:
I have been to Solihul today (11:30 session) and had a good look round.

Click image to enlarge

Nice colour. What do they call it?

On the plaque. Tasman Blue.... They do look better than on the configurator. I picked them up and tried them in daylight...

i want one of these paint models Smile
Post #798151 14th Oct 2019 6:15pm
Michaels Defender

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 V8 Petrol XS CSW Auto Orkney Grey
New Defender 90 Commercial
Here are a few images of the Defender 90 Commercial from my Halewood visit today, unfortunately the vehicle was locked "as it was work in progress"

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #798170 14th Oct 2019 7:02pm
Tim in Scotland

I think the commercial is the best looking model in the range....... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #798191 14th Oct 2019 7:41pm
Michaels Defender

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 V8 Petrol XS CSW Auto Orkney Grey
I couldn't agree more, I spent most of my time around the 90 rather than the 110 Thumbs Up
Post #798200 14th Oct 2019 8:09pm
Tim in Scotland

There must be two Commercials around as I’m sure the one at the Frankfurt launch was Tasman Blue and white, and that one looks like a silvery one. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #798217 14th Oct 2019 9:27pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Well, after a 10 year break from DEFENDER, several other Green Ovals have come and gone...... I too visited Lode Lane to day and all I can say is the sausage rolls are fantastic !!!!!!

The Defender isn’t ever going to replicate what the original centre steer was, it’s generations away from the series 2 I learnt to drive in, it’s a million miles away from the Series 3’s, lightweights, Ninetys, One Tens, then DEFENDER and Wolf I served in.

It’s big, it feels huge ! Sat in the drivers seat the passenger is where they are supposed to be ! The gap between the two is ample enough to house the centre console and be able to open it without doing Yoga moves, likewise the space between your hip and the door shut is ample enough to house a door with an arm rest and storage for bottles.

I doubt your feet will get wet when you drive it, your hip won’t freeze in winter as the door seal feel like it will keep out the cold, there’s acres of leg room and then there’s the driving position. Unmistakably DEFENDER with a hint of DISCO3.
In my opinion and after driving these things on every continent in every environment the new one couldn’t come soon enough, It’s basically a Discovery 4, which has a few design cues and some nostalgic nods to the DEFENDER.

There are some good bits like the doors, big enough to get in without impaling yourself on the locking mechanism housed on the door shut, or is it just me that does that, the rear load space door which although has a handle like a smeg fridge has a button housed within which when latched Pops and is assisted out, the interior finish is quality with the fabrics shown in various colours to suit the varying specs. The rubberised floor which although not flush for me beats 2mm aluminium and two pan head screws and a couple of soggy carpets every time, the gear lever housed On the bulk head is well away from the centre console, the whole thing feels very robust and unmistakably Land Rover, but not DEFENDER.

The bad bits, there’s a cloth sliding roof for the 90 where the pan roof will go on the 110, any one who’s ever had a Land Rover and a sun roof should stay well clear of anything that will allow water any where near it, NO lan rover I have ever been in has been anywhere near that monsoon replicating water house that lashes it with 890 million gallons of water, the alpine lights are a nod but at best useless, at worst they’ll let water in. The front light apertures? Clearly who ever designed them hasn’t driven in snow ? I thought they were hoses behind a protective cover, nope they’re housed in a Tupperware tub ? That will basically fill with road grime, leaves mud or anything else the car in front flicks up which brings me nicely onto the rear lights, which would probably look great housed in a speaker in an Apple store but for fitting on the back of a defender with a 2’ ledge for all the road grime that winter brings to the back of these things is again pathetic and should be housed behind a flush mounted screen that protects the lense.

I won’t mention the engines, or the lack of anything plug in, basically buyer beware on the first few thousand units as they sell enough to fund the next generation in R&D for the hybrids.

As you can probably guess, the novelty of the DEFENDER wore off for me, after owning many and having lived in and out of them for decades, to buy the latest just over 10 years ago which wasn’t without its faults tipped me onto A different path,
I’ll be buying a 90 next year, that’s for sure ....... it’s pretty much perfect for my needs and will replace the D5.

I don’t want it to replace a DEFENDER so the choice for me was an easy one, if it were 10 or 12 years ago there’s NO way on earth I’d be even contemplating it, Land Rover know they’re on to a winner with this and although it looks similar to other vehicles there’s nothing for me looks or feels like this new one in terms of quality and finish. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #798225 14th Oct 2019 11:46pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
ids wrote:
I take it for a Ranger ?

I looked at them (in fact I know someone with one) but there is something I just cant get on with....

Yea we have one already on the fleet its OK 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #798411 16th Oct 2019 2:50pm
Tim in Scotland

I wonder how long before 3rd party makers start making and selling Wilks Bros. Vinyl stickers to put onto your 90 commercial! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #798413 16th Oct 2019 3:16pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Is it a genuine VAT qualifying vehicle that can be run through the books as a Van... ala the 90/110 Utilities.... Or a "commercial" in name only?

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #798419 16th Oct 2019 5:55pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Good write up.

For me, I need to see one outside and drive it. Won’t place an order yet and really unsure having seen it. I just can’t feel any admiration and love for the thing based on the tour. It felt a halfway house and not in one camp or the other ie utility or premium. Just felt confused. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI

Last edited by familymad on 16th Oct 2019 9:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #798421 16th Oct 2019 6:10pm
nidge n

For those guys that have viewed the Defender in the flesh, is there as much plastic on the car as the photographs suggest?
Post #798431 16th Oct 2019 7:13pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
There is more if anything. Checker plate, boot floor, rear light area, bumpers, 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #798436 16th Oct 2019 7:31pm
ids

United Kingdom 
I'd second that.

In one respect the trim around the rear lights is a good thing as it makes it easier to replace (as could be fragile) but can you imagine how much JLR will change for them.

Also the scuttle where the wipers is is painted (and plastic) as well as the windscreen a pillar trims being painted also. They seem to have ramped the painting up... I would prefer in black personally but guess the aftermarket/Chinese lot will be knocking them up soon...
Post #798437 16th Oct 2019 7:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I wonder how long before 3rd party makers start making and selling Wilks Bros. Vinyl stickers to put onto your 90 commercial!

I wouldn't mind betting that JLR has already registered the design as a trade mark. JLR is pretty sharp!
Post #798478 17th Oct 2019 8:11am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
nidge n wrote:
For those guys that have viewed the Defender in the flesh, is there as much plastic on the car as the photographs suggest?

Its got more plastic than the Lego model has. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #798509 17th Oct 2019 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>