↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Load Lane new Defender tour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Interesting details, thanks. I'm still seeing a car that has been designed to a great extent to look like an off roader rather than be one. Those mudflaps would be great for towing a trailer on gravel roads but look like they were not designed by anybody who has ever driven a 4x4 through a decent sized ditch - they'll be gone at the first one. Nor do the front or rear overhangs look like they will withstand any sort of interaction with the ground when the bottom of that ditch turns out to be softer than you thought.

What do the bumpers feel like - are they flimsy or does it look like they'll take a bit of a knock without disintegrating into several hundred pounds worth of pieces?

I'd also be forced to ask them whose home their 'home made' food was made in Laughing ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #797933 13th Oct 2019 10:31am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
The bumpers will come clean off with the first hedge 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #797936 13th Oct 2019 11:01am
ids

United Kingdom 
I have been to Solihul today (11:30 session) and had a good look round.

Looks a nice vehicle I must say. Seems to have good proportions and looks right. As someone mentioned, there were two 110's. The silver on is a pre-prod one (and boy can you tell in places) and the green a prod-ish HSE.

My minus points are:

1) The cloth mats are just tat. Can't see them lasting 5 mins. Some nice sturdy rubber jobs would be perfect. They recon it is washable however, as the sills are flush.
2) The centre console is very odd. The opening rear is fine. Could do without the fridge, but in front of it is a shelf and a crap rubber cover over the cup holders. There is then a big hole where the charger sockets are and stuff can roll underneath the cup holders and shelf. However the sides are also open ..... ripe for someone designing it properly.
3) Some of the trim is poor. The boot area floor is badly fitting and poor quality material. Some of the other bits look really plasticy and will break.
4) The rear door is heavy and not well finished IMHO. Also blocks the right hand side lights - can't see how they will get that though road tests.
5) The lights are inset and look like they will collect mud/snow etc. Ripe for clear covers I recon.
6) The plastic wheel (in the pre prod is shocking) - never have that one.
7) Some the external trim is again poor quality. The bare plastic scratches easy. I left my mark Smile as well as pulling off very easy. I wonder if thats why a lot of the press shots show the trim behind the front wheels missing.

Plus points

1) The gadge, tablet/centre display and dash all look nice. Seem well thought out.
2) Seats are well comfy and adjustable.
3) Good vision I recon.
4) General trim around doors and dash seem nice. Lots of power outputs and storage.
5) Green is much better in real life, without the satin wrap IMHO

Shame they had no 90's. They also arn't being clear on dates other than spring (ie May 2020) for first deliveries.

Nice coffee mind Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Some piccys....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

My choice of colours

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #797983 13th Oct 2019 6:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Obscured rear lights when the tailgate is opened would be dead easy to fix with either a built in red light in the body of the door where the housing for the latch mechanism is or a long strip of (very cheap) red retro reflective tape down the door jam. IIRC Classic Range Rovers used to have red lights that were visible at night when passenger doors were opened so it isn’t something new to LR....... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #797986 13th Oct 2019 6:59pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
The sills are not actually flush as there is a trim piece running around the door aperture. This will allow water under it and probably under the floors. Not good

Click image to enlarge
 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #797988 13th Oct 2019 7:14pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
ids wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Nice colour. What do they call it?
Post #797989 13th Oct 2019 7:20pm
ids

United Kingdom 
I did notice that. However they recon that is the case.

I know on the launch they said wipe and brush out, but today they said wash out.

Thinking about how my D3 is made, it would run under. Havn't they said they are double rubber lined floors ? so perhaps they have thought of it.

Still dont trust Land Rover opening roof's either. And my old D1 have me nightmares of Alpine lights...
Post #797990 13th Oct 2019 7:20pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Zed wrote:
ids wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Nice colour. What do they call it?

On the plaque. Tasman Blue.... They do look better than on the configurator. I picked them up and tried them in daylight...
Post #797992 13th Oct 2019 7:22pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Doh! Didn't read the plaque. I blame the small screen on my iPad..

I reckon that colour would look stunning on a proper 90.
Post #797994 13th Oct 2019 7:35pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Yep I recon too. For me that or the Green...
Post #797998 13th Oct 2019 8:03pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
On Tasman Blue they had a teaser picture in the presentation of what look like USW 110 and commercial 90 and they were some of best looking vehicles.
The green colour looks good but it is a metallic so will be expensive to maintain.
None of marketing films show it on anything like a UK green lane where it will lose mud flaps ( semi rigid) and bumper ends and will get paintwork scratched to destruction. Unless you have the roof rack fitted you will also lose the aerial off the back along with the rear view camera mounted in it.
The alpine lights will not work for the purpose described in the design follows function presentation. That of looking at traffic on higher level mountain roads. As they are mounted too far back and have too deep a frame. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #798010 13th Oct 2019 9:06pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
New cars not available till the end of May. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #798063 14th Oct 2019 11:01am
Tim in Scotland

So first stumble with the new factory? Originally we were told early 2020 if you ordered now and now it’s slipped to earliest deliveries in May 2020.......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #798067 14th Oct 2019 11:13am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I asked the question If I ordered this afternoon when will I get the car? I got told end of may earliest Twisted Evil
Thats me off to see the Ford dealership im not waiting any longer Evil or Very Mad 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #798124 14th Oct 2019 4:06pm
ids

United Kingdom 
I take it for a Ranger ?

I looked at them (in fact I know someone with one) but there is something I just cant get on with....
Post #798147 14th Oct 2019 6:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>