↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > LRM Letter of the Month November 2019 issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I don't get it. Who is the John Connolly you are referring to?
Post #797482 9th Oct 2019 8:00pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Could you at least post a photo of the letter? For those of us who don't have LRM. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #797483 9th Oct 2019 8:02pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Sloppy editorial. Editors in years gone by would have been sacked for less. Again, printers (compositors and readers) may well have picked this up before being printed, but in the age of desktop printing, these safe guards have been removed.

Dad worked in local papers all his life (now retired). Some of the stories he has told me are quite cringe inducing.

Not in this case, but the worst problems used to be when serious or upsetting stories had inappropriate adverts placed beside them. I expect you can imagine. Journalistic and advertising content were two different departments so this was where problems arose.

Not making excuses, but I expect LRM is produced by a couple of people with a couple of Macs in a small office.

Let us know what kind of response you get, Joe. I am guessing that you will find your email will be ignored. I am kind of hoping they don't as damage limitation is somewhat critical in this scenario. I'm just hoping that no one reading either this or the publication has been affected by theses crimes (even if the writer of the letter isn't who we believe it to be). It's not something you would want to be reminded of.
Post #797484 9th Oct 2019 8:04pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I guess if you have read the letter it would be easier to understand, can anyone print it here? 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #797486 9th Oct 2019 8:09pm
Rashers

Google John Connolly Warrington.

We may have got this completely wrong but it seems a coincidence that someone of the same name now lives in a prison? He gives his age in the letter and it tallies with the reports on the internet.

Apart from giving his age and telling the readers that he is locked up in prison, there is nothing noteworthy about the letter.
Post #797487 9th Oct 2019 8:12pm
Rashers

Thank goodness the prize for letter of the month wasn't a battery powered jigsaw.
Post #797488 9th Oct 2019 8:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Sulisuli wrote:
I guess if you have read the letter it would be easier to understand, can anyone print it here?

Click image to enlarge

Best read on it's side Thumbs Up

If this is not right to put this on here, please take it of Martin. 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #797502 9th Oct 2019 8:55pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
It will be interesting to hear LRM reply. Perhaps they don't know the awful crimes he committed. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #797523 10th Oct 2019 6:50am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I'll keep you posted. But really, as it only takes a few minutes to find out what he did, they should have picked it up in the first place and not printed his letter.
Post #797526 10th Oct 2019 7:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Interesting thread.

So the view is that someone who has committed crimes that are unspeakable should be prevented from writing letters on completely unrelated subjects to the press? Doesn't this smack of censorship?

If he'd committed a less despicable crime, for example insurance fraud, would it be OK for him to write to the press?

Don't misunderstand me, I am not defending the man, and I understand that decent people may not want to hear his views on any subject (I certainly don't), but I can imagine that there'd be just a big a fuss about civil liberties and the right to freedom of speech if it came out that his letter had been discarded simply because of who and what he is.
Post #797532 10th Oct 2019 7:59am
Rashers

Interesting point, blackwolf - and as you say, very interesting thread.

Firstly, we are assuming that the said person writing this letter is the same person that has committed the crime we have found on Google. There is a chance that we have it wrong (I heard of a bloke in Worcestershire a couple of weeks ago, my age and had the same name as me).

As to the civil liberties, if I had been wronged by someone (especially in the way we think this Guy has done), and who was locked up in jail for that crime, I wouldn't expect to see a magazine publishing, quite frankly, an irrelevant letter with personal details of the offender in black and white on a magazine page. Why did he have to tell us his age and that he was locked up inside? What relevance has that got to Land Rovers? I wouldn't finish a letter to a magazine telling everyone my age and that I lived in a bungalow, terrace house, maisonette, five bedroom mansion with each bedroom having an ensuite?

Look at it from another way, God forbid, but if my relation had been murdered by Ian Bradey or Myra Hindley (I have purposefully chosen persons who are deceased before this is pointed out), I would be quite outraged to see them penning letters to newspapers or magazines that I read.

Jail is for punishment and also, not forgetting this, for rehabilitation also. Writing self gratuitous letters to a magazine doesn't fit in with either of those purposes. Well that is my view and opinion.
Post #797534 10th Oct 2019 8:20am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
An entirely valid view in my opinion too, and I agree with you, but the general subject does raise interesting questions.

Personally I feel that there has been a major editorial failing in this case, since, as you rightly point out, the personal circumstances contained in the letter are utterly irrelevant to the context (as, in fact, is the name and address of the writer), and I feel that the editor should have exercised his right to edit the letter prior to publication, if indeed it was considered worthy of publication at all. Since it is also a very uninteresting letter I question the decision to publish it irrespective of the author, and certainly the decision to make it "letter of the month", however that is more a symptom of the general shoddy standard of modern periodicals.
Post #797538 10th Oct 2019 9:07am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
It is a crashingly dull letter, so regardless of who wrote it there is no justification for it being in a magazine, let alone letter of the month. A bumbling ramble of unconnected half stories does not constitute a letter worthy of publication.
Post #797545 10th Oct 2019 11:17am
Yulong

United Kingdom 
Strikes me that both parties here sought self-promotion: the writer with his "they keep me going", and the mag being "inclusive" for posting it.

Confused
Post #797548 10th Oct 2019 11:22am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I suspect the mag weren't being inclusive, they simply didn't bother to check and consequently have dropped a clanger.
Post #797592 10th Oct 2019 3:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>