↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > IAA Cross section Display Defender.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JordanBefender

United Kingdom 
IAA Cross section Display Defender.
just found this article, the cross section 110 was made from a used test prototype. interesting Smile.
https://www.torqueagencygroup.com/casestudy/new-defender/
Post #794700 23rd Sep 2019 4:48pm
Tim in Scotland

Interesting shots but they highlight a huge problem with this vehicle claimed to be able to operate at the extremes........... how are you going to get access to all those little spaces to wash out all the mud/sand/ road salt that will accumulate after it has been used as intended/designed. I appreciate that LR chassis of old were made of cheese and rotted quickly, but at least you could SEE where it was rotting and take preventative action if/when time required but this new body hides the substructure too well. They might give you a 10 year anti-perforation corrosion warranty but it will be so riddled with get out clauses like “the vehicle must not be driven through mud or used on salted roads ” the warranty will be worthless. I gave to admit that none of the more modern LR products I have owned has shown signs of tin worm, but that is because I have never kept one longer than 6 years. My 1996 Defender had to have a replacement chassis at 7 years old, it’s now 23 years old and the galvanised chassis still looks like new, but what would it have cost LR to gave fitted one in the first place, not a lot. You rarely see even Freely1’s with visible corrosion, but get underneath and somevof them are really bad, but it is hidden and in places where dirt accumulates and the steel never gets fully dried out. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #794705 23rd Sep 2019 5:10pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Its warranted for 3 years. Why should they bother making it last 20 or 30 years? Land Rover sell the vehicle once to the new owner. The new owner will probably keep it for the three years it's in warranty and then sell it. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #794716 23rd Sep 2019 6:33pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Nice find ~ thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
Post #794870 24th Sep 2019 4:40pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
AN interesting read.

What amazes me is just how much dirt is in every nook and cranny on that donor vehicle! 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #794893 24th Sep 2019 7:12pm
LiftedDisco

I’m liking it better in the ‘naked’ form...

RRUK... I wouldn’t worry too much about the dust and dirt as I suspect this has been well used and abused before being handed over in the knowledge that it would be stripped and refurbished.

The test regime is harsh - we have had Engineering vehicles here that are destined to be ‘drowned’ with special bonnets, height markings (depth gauge) taped on the flanks and so on whilst our daughter was testing soft top Evoques for ‘mud and ruts’ at one stage...

Rolling with laughter

Gentle, they ain’t - test vehicles work hard for their living and get no thanks at the end...
Post #794899 24th Sep 2019 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1