↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > The newest motor I have ever owned
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nick T

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Thanks for the replies Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The dealer is in a place noted for black puddings Whistle
Knowledge is a good weapon Very Happy ( It also saves me losing my rag Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ) Thumbs Up
Post #73916 2nd Jun 2011 9:48pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Nick,

Welcome. Assuming you bought it as a used approved Defender they should supply the correct service book for it. The service interval is 12 months / 12,000 miles so if it is a late 10 plate it may not have had it's first service.

As others have said you should expect a courtesy car - my local dealer has always provided Freelanders with any work on previous Defenders. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #74461 6th Jun 2011 3:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nick T

Well-just got the 90 back from dealer. Request was to sort out the leaking door seals again. Basicaly the doors are not fit well, hence no compresion to form seal. It came back with additional scratches to the paintwork, and a bit of sealant to stick the seals in place. The valleter advised that the mechanic said not to turn hosepipe on the seals Very Happy Very Happy Another half day off work....not bad for 6 weeks ownership Rolling Eyes Does everyone else see light through the bottom corners of front doors (I can live with the draught and water coming up, I just don't want it peeing my legs and tools through from above Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad )

This bodes the question-should I be able to wash my van without water ingress?
Post #77000 21st Jun 2011 4:25pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Nick T wrote:
Well-just got the 90 back from dealer. Request was to sort out the leaking door seals again. Basicaly the doors are not fit well, hence no compresion to form seal. It came back with additional scratches to the paintwork, and a bit of sealant to stick the seals in place. The valleter advised that the mechanic said not to turn hosepipe on the seals Very Happy Very Happy Another half day off work....not bad for 6 weeks ownership Rolling Eyes Does everyone else see light through the bottom corners of front doors (I can live with the draught and water coming up, I just don't want it peeing my legs and tools through from above Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad )

This bodes the question-should I be able to wash my van without water ingress?

nope, my seals let no light through anywhere on the doors.
No leaks either, pressure washing never lets water through front doors .... now the back door .. Rolling Eyes Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #77045 21st Jun 2011 8:28pm
Matt

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Nick T wrote:
Does everyone else see light through the bottom corners of front doors

I think some newer ones may have been fitted with a better seal. Older pumas and Td5's had a square of foam glued into the bottom corner of the door, but this usually falls off after about a year. Think the idea is to let out the water that collects in the footwell whenever the landrover seems to get wet!! Laughing
Post #77054 21st Jun 2011 8:48pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not everyone. My 2010 90 xs is now 15 mths old. All doors seal well, even to a pressure washer. Foam blocks still in place. There are new 1 piece lower door seals available as fitted to the 2011 my Defenders. See here:-
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic6370.h...door+seals LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #77069 21st Jun 2011 9:48pm
Matt

WelshGas wrote:
Not everyone. My 2010 90 xs is now 15 mths old. All doors seal well, even to a pressure washer. Foam blocks still in place. There are new 1 piece lower door seals available as fitted to the 2011 my Defenders. See here:-
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic6370.h...door+seals

I think you should take it in to the dealers for an inspection. It cant have been put together right if it doesn't leak Laughing Wink
Post #77194 22nd Jun 2011 8:53pm
Nick T

I have owned many Land Rovers over the last 25+ years. I am no duck egg. Thanks for the constructive reply Matt. After hearing LR engineers sloppy recomendations-" not to wash using a hose pipe directed to the seals"
£20K + for a coulinder?? The poo is about to hit the proverbial fan! I'm sick of having to take time off work for a fault pointed out on the forecourt before purchachase!!
Post #77203 22nd Jun 2011 9:26pm
Matt

Nick T wrote:
I have owned many Land Rovers over the last 25+ years. I am no duck egg. Thanks for the constructive reply Matt. After hearing LR engineers sloppy recomendations-" not to wash using a hose pipe directed to the seals"
£20K + for a coulinder?? The poo is about to hit the proverbial fan! I'm sick of having to take time off work for a fault pointed out on the forecourt before purchachase!!

Would have thought you would have learnt about Defender build quality and construction, and dealership helpfullness by now, if you've owned land rovers over the last 25+ years Whistle
Post #77207 22nd Jun 2011 9:45pm
Matt

Nick T wrote:
Thanks for the constructive reply Matt.

Oh, and I was only saying about my experience of the 3 defenders i have owned and at least 5 other defenders I know of within 2 miles of my house with regard to foam and water leaking into the footwells Thumbs Up
Post #77209 22nd Jun 2011 9:50pm
Nick T

Would have thought you would have learnt about Defender build quality and construction, and dealership helpfullness by now, if you've owned land rovers over the last 25+ years Whistle[/quote]

As stated in title-this is the newest vehicle I have ever owned. Stupidly, I have purchased a new ish vehicle. Should have saved cash and gone down the route of galve chasis, 200 TDi build Rolling Eyes Better the Devil you know Neutral
Post #77425 23rd Jun 2011 8:31pm
Matt

Nick T wrote:
Should have saved cash and gone down the route of galve chasis, 200 TDi build Rolling Eyes Better the Devil you know Neutral

Yeah, I owned a 200tdi before, probably the best model of defender Landrover have ever built, everyday I ask myself why I ever sold it on and went for a newer model. Thumbs Up
Post #77595 24th Jun 2011 6:26pm
Nick T

Well it went into dealership again for the third time. Door seals still leaking (can see lots of light) Bloke that picked it up said they all leak, I replied that I have owned quite a few over the years with no leaks. Reply was - you were lucky Neutral I told him to take my vehicle and return with £20k of luckiness. If they all leak, why bother fitting flipping door seals!!! Rolling Eyes
Post #79270 6th Jul 2011 7:15pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
ring russell (warranty manager) at hillendale, explain the problem, book it in, tell him you need a courtesy car.
Post #79334 7th Jul 2011 1:48pm
Nick T

Good news Very Happy It's not just me being a c**t Very Happy They have confirmed that it leaks. The more leaks they fix, the more they find Rolling Eyes At least they are now serious about rectifying the fault. No more "they all leak" attitude Rolling Eyes Third time lucky?? Very Happy
Post #79394 7th Jul 2011 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12