↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Is anyone else disappointed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
joss007

United Kingdom 
Is anyone else disappointed?
For those who have paid to reserve a build slot, what are your experiences on communication and release of information prior to and post the launch?

I paid a £1000 back in January to reserve a build slot and told I was the 3rd to have done so at my local dealership. At the time I was told there was little information available other than it would be launched later in the year which I accepted and understood. Between then and the launch I had very little correspondence from the dealer apart from an email a few days before the launch to say it was happening on the 10th. I would have thought it would have been in LR's interest to let us know a little bit sooner and also advise us of how to watch the launch live etc, instead I have learnt more from looking at social media.

Now it has been launched I was called to say it had been launched and I could start configuring online, the dealer doesn't know when the 90 will be available or when they will be having one in the showroom so I can see it in the flesh before I firstly decide whether I firstly want to proceed and secondly spend time configuring one. I appreciate it is early days but, I think the communication between LR and its target audience is pretty poor, especially those who have parted with cash already.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just being over sensitive??
Post #793517 17th Sep 2019 9:49am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I must say that if you had dealt with JLR in the past, then this is what you would have expected, disappointment and indifference. So no change there then.
You must congratulate JLR in maintaining standards. Big Cry 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #793522 17th Sep 2019 10:00am
joss007

United Kingdom 
I suppose there is that saying involving a leopard and spots!!
Post #793524 17th Sep 2019 10:14am
rtm89

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
I'm the first to say that communication hasn't been very fluid but that goes for the communication to dealers from JLR too.
The launch happened and was vague about the 90, 130 and commercial variants

I managed to watch a web-chat on friday which just told us that we would see the 90 at the back end of 2020 and commercial versions in 2021. No set dates. No specs for commercials and some basic bits about the 90.

We only know when we will have a Defender for a day on a roadshow and not what it will be or spec and then that we will see the first Defender orders in Feb (First editions and D240 SE's to be coming first)

I haven't seen, touched, felt the car myself yet and not due to drive one myself until Jan.
Just to put a different angle on things.
Post #793530 17th Sep 2019 10:32am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Is it actually possible to reserve a build slot? If it was then I would have expected there would have been some urgency on behalf of the dealer to get your order configured, priced and in the system ahead of everyone else with access to the online configurator. I guess they could have submitted an order on your behalf to secure a build slot, assuming that the spec could be changed completely up to a certain date in the future. If they haven't done this, then what exactly have you paid for?

Particularly if you want a 90, which cannot currently be ordered.
Post #793531 17th Sep 2019 10:35am
Tim in Scotland

Last week when I went to chat to my local dealership (who are holding on to £1000 of mine) the salesmen there were not going to receive any product training until today. They knew nothing about the vehicle and were advising customers to read the motoring press and to go online to find out more........

Reserving a build slot is possible only if you want a 110 - you can order one and pay the deposit online if you want - through the configurator on the LR website. I too am waiting for the 90, but also for the PHEV version of either the 90 or the 110, I think my 23 year old 90 will be carrying on in my ownership for a few years more though as I wait! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 17th Sep 2019 10:46am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #793532 17th Sep 2019 10:38am
rtm89

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Can't speak for everyone but we have all deposits time stamped to know when they were taken.

We are allocated a certain number of build slots by LR and then ask for specs from those that have deposited and prioritise them in chronological order.

With the 90 orders we are holding them all and will operate in the same manner with them.
Post #793533 17th Sep 2019 10:42am
joss007

United Kingdom 
I haven't even had notification of when I will have one for a day.

Well, I was told it was possible to reserve a build slot and each dealer would have 5 allocated to them and I was the 3rd at my dealership. I suppose those ordering online will have to wait until those with reserved build slots have received theirs but, how do we know this is actually happening and it was all a gimmick just so they could get a better estimate of those prepared to buy. Starting to feel more and more let down by JLR but, it shouldn't come as a surprise I suppose.

I did email Sir Ralph last night expressing my disappointment and I have already received a call from Marlon who is going to look into it, not expecting much from it, a half day experience wouldn't go amiss Whistle
Post #793535 17th Sep 2019 10:44am
joss007

United Kingdom 
rtm89 wrote:
Can't speak for everyone but we have all deposits time stamped to know when they were taken.

We are allocated a certain number of build slots by LR and then ask for specs from those that have deposited and prioritise them in chronological order.

With the 90 orders we are holding them all and will operate in the same manner with them.

When my deposit was taken I wasn't informed that it would just be for the 110, again poor communication from start to finish.
Post #793536 17th Sep 2019 10:48am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Reserve a build slot?

No…. dealers will be fighting for any and every new Defender they can get their hands on, of any and every spec and colour, knowing they can get rid of ’em at full price (i.e. no discount or prezzies) to “enthusiasts” lining up to buy them.

A deposit-secured, specced-up, “build slot” might seem important to you, but just see how quickly the dealer will return your deposit and get rid of whatever and whenever it arrives in his premises.

Peter (who got his £500 deposit returned when details and prices of the over-priced run-out Puma were published)
Post #793541 17th Sep 2019 11:09am
LEZ

United Kingdom 
Defender UK tour locations and dates are now on the Land Rover site.
Post #793547 17th Sep 2019 11:19am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
rtm89 wrote:

Thumbs Up
Post #793577 17th Sep 2019 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1