↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender 90 bonnet keeps popping open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Taffy1

Defender 90 bonnet keeps popping open
I've got a 2010 Defender 90 and the bonnet keeps popping open onto the safety catch. I've adjusted the length of the pin, the position of the locking mechanism plus the two rubber stops and I still can get it stay close. It clicks down but will pop up due to road vibration on the move or if you manually try and shake or pull the bonnet whilst stationary . Any suggestions ? Do I need to change the pin or locking mechanism . Thanks
Post #592001 11th Jan 2017 12:47am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I had this on my 110 several years ago, in the end Land Rover replaced the entire mechanism Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #592016 11th Jan 2017 6:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Curiously enough mine started doing the same thing at Christmas, but only when the temperature is really low.

I stripped out the catch, and found that the top surface of the pin on the bonnet (the bit that actually presses against the locking plate on the radiator panel), and the locking plate that it engages with were both worn quite significantly. I have reshaped both as flat as possible with a file while I wait for the new parts I have ordered to arrive, and this seems to have largely cured the problem. Mind you, the weather has warmed up as well, and since it only seemed to happen when really cold it may come back if the temperature drops.

This is on a 200,000 mile Defender, so reasonable wear is to be expected.
Post #592032 11th Jan 2017 8:25am
blackwolf

Well, since I posted the above in January my bonnet catch has performed flawlessly - until yesterday, when it started doing the same thing again.

If you close the bonnet gently it clicks shut, and no amount of wiggling, pulling, shoving, twisting or cajoling will get it open. Start the engine and drive 50 yards down the road and it will have popped open again. If you drop the bonnet a few inches to shut it (from a height where traditionally it used to latch shut) it just springs back up. The pin extension, alignment, rubber buffers, and hinges are all perfectly set up. It is icredibly mystifying!

Fortunately after January's episode I have put by a new pin assembly, a new catch assembly, and a bag of new springs, so I will change the entire catch mechanism for new and probab;y fit two, rather than one, spring on the latch. Hopfully this will then give a further 205,000 miles of troublefree operation.

The thing that bugs me is that I can't figure out what is actually happening to cause it to spring open, and I don't like things I can't understand. Perhaps it will become clearer with the old parts removed and cleaned up. I suspect that the fault/wear lies with the catch assembly on the striker plate, since there's no apparent faiut with the (reshaped) pin.
Post #609395 14th Mar 2017 1:47pm
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
"If you close the bonnet gently it clicks shut, and no amount of wiggling, pulling, shoving, twisting or cajoling will get it open. Start the engine and drive 50 yards down the road and it will have popped open again "

exactly where I'm at right now and it's doing me head in Laughing Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #791034 7th Sep 2019 1:56pm
blackwolf

Replace both the pin and the receptacle with new parts and your problem will be fixed. This is how they behave when they are worn.
Post #791059 7th Sep 2019 4:30pm
24heuer

Thumbs Up Cheers Blackwolf Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
Post #791072 7th Sep 2019 5:57pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
presumably if the striker pin is wearing, so is the latch?
The cold weather anomaly could be due to the relevant parts contracting as the temperature falls It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #791183 8th Sep 2019 12:36pm
24heuer

Replaced the spring, cable and locking mechanism last night - fingers crossed that's it solved.
Looks like the tatty old original lock wasn't springing back to its locked position.
Bit of a carry-on fitting it but once I'd threatened it a few times with being swapped for the new Defender things seemed to go ok.
Only needed to remove the grille, fan cowling and the wing intake cover for this small job Rolling with laughter
The last bit highlighted the need to relocate the cable at a later date...

blackwolf wrote:
Replace both the pin and the receptacle with new parts and your problem will be fixed. This is how they behave when they are worn.
 Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
Post #791996 11th Sep 2019 6:01am
blackwolf

Yes, a definite PITA to do. Hopefully it will solve your problem, it certainly did solve mine when my Defender did exactly the same thing.

It was also a revelation how many different sized pins and catches LR has used over recent years!
Post #792050 11th Sep 2019 8:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1