↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > What to buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Midlander1231

United Kingdom 
What to buy?
I’ve had new Land Rover products since the beginning of the 1980’s, I tend to keep them three or four years, putting a fairly high mileage on them. My current car is a late 2015, Discovery 4, HSE Luxury. I’ve now retired from business and going to buy one last new car. The choice is Evoque, Velar or Defender II, the rather unbalanced look of the back of the new Discovery puts me off that model. Due to a family member being on the JLR employee discount scheme, I can get a discount off the Evoque and the Velar. I’m reliably informed, as with all newly introduced JLR products, there will be no employee discount off the new Defender. If I spec an Evoque, I can get the highest spec available for just over £50,000, a Velar comes in at well over £70,000. I anticipate the cost of a high spec Defender II will be somewhere in the region of £65,000. I use the car for my hobby of landscape photography which takes me all over the place, off road and in Winter....which would you buy out of three? I must add I’m not interested in any other manufacturers products. The Defender II is my choice at present.
Post #790518 4th Sep 2019 3:57pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Difficult one as possibly with your discount on the other two you may almost save 1 years depreciation. However the Defender you may find if you have one of the first that will hold its price in the first year.

If you plan on keeping each for 4 years without swapping in that time the Defender is the 'Newest' so you may get lucky in no facelifts for that time.

The evoke has just had a face lift so probably due for a remodel soon. Bothe Evoke and Velar (and I probably shouldn't say it) seem more aimed at females? maybe it's just me but you don't see too many blokes as there only car driving an Evoke? Doesn't matter it's just the way I see it.

Both also appear much smaller and lower than you disco? if you need lots of kit will it fit?

I'm like you and don't like the new Disco 5 but my local garage just had one in and it has the number plate centered and modified by Urban Truck. Looks 100 times better.

I I had to choose out of those 3 and I'm not just saying it as its a Defender forum I would choice the new Defender.

- Latest Newest model - Nice to own that
- More room for kit?
- Probably as good as most for depreciation
- Rugged and 'should' look more rough & ready (for me the other 2 are too smooth & car like)

This is the one at my local garage that looks nice.. Disco 5

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What I would actually do is by a Full Fat Range Rover, Still looks the daddy and the shape that looks the same as a £100K plus model can now be had with sensible mileage 50K for around £35K after 4 years in the New car above you would have lost that value....

Something like this.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1
Post #790521 4th Sep 2019 4:29pm
Midlander1231

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that, I appreciate the input. I didn’t know you could get a replacement rear which centres the number plate, someone’s onto a good thing there. There’s a big discount available for the Range Rover Sport, but I think the car is beginning to look rather dated now!
I’m looking forward, as we all are, to see the Defender II in the flesh. Decisions after that!
Post #790524 4th Sep 2019 5:18pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Agreed thre rear portions of the D5 are odd but i think it also depends on exact colour / spec as my brother has a Black metallic one, black wheels and various parts highlighted in Anthractite (no chrome at all) and it has grown on me

The Silver bodied cars tend to look very ungainly
Post #790565 4th Sep 2019 8:03pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I think colour really does make a difference to the same model of vehicle Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #790578 4th Sep 2019 9:14pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Received an email this morning from "Drive the Deal" and thought some of these looked decent discounts (if real):

Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 D180 HSE 5dr Auto * £39,567 Save 14%

Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 HSE 5dr Auto * £57,201 Save 13%

Range Rover Evoque 2.0 P200 R-Dynamic S 5dr Auto £37,193 Save 9%

Range Rover Velar 2.0 D180 R-Dynamic SE 5dr Auto * £47,968 Save 14.5%

Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE 5dr Auto [7 Seat] * £57,471 Save 18%

Range Rover 3.0 SDV6 Vogue SE 4dr Auto * £74,830 Save 17.5%
Post #811280 21st Jan 2020 12:27pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
My partner had a D5 for a year and enjoyed driving it and found it was a very capable vehicle both on and off road, but it was much bigger than her previous D4, with less actual boot space.
She had a velar for a few days while a fault was being fixed and enjoyed it as a car but not an a 4x4 - low profile tires and restricted views out the back put her off ...
She was very interested in the new defender but when we looked at the cost etc, and like Midlander., this will be our last ‘new’ car, so we went for a late model 110 as it will be more cost effective when I retire for serving and maintenance - not so many high tech wizardry bits to go wrong !

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #811281 21st Jan 2020 1:04pm
plumpmoose

United Kingdom 
Think the move from your LRD$ to the new LRD will be fairly straight forward. They are about the same size and shape, but LRD lacks a v6 engine. LRD does not feel special enough in my view - it is neither utilarian nor luxurious.

Velar and Evoque and LRDS are jacked up VW Golfs (rather nice ones) IMHO.

RRS are looking very blingy these days, but might be the one.

FFRR pricey, but we all know they are the best if you can live with the depreciation.

LRD5 is the dark horse. I love the looks when a dark or solver colour with the black pack. And you get the v6.
Post #811285 21st Jan 2020 1:28pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
A bit late replying so don't know if decisions have been made? The 3 models you mention are all very different. I would imagine a simple test drive in each would make your decision. The D5 is really growing on me the more I see it, even with it's offset number plate.

I saw the D5 and Defender II side by side at local dealer open evening. The D5 is much bigger than the 110 with a significantly bigger boot. The two models in the show room were similarly priced at £65k and £67k IIRC and for that sort of money I'd struggle to choose the 110 over the D5. But both very different and haven't driven either. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #811301 21st Jan 2020 3:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Don’t discount the Evoque or an RRS. Evoques are excellent small cars but be aware that they have recently suffered big mechanical issues with DPF’s and high AdBlu consumption in both old and new versions. RRS L405 is basically a short FFRR with way better handling and if you go for one of the Dynamic versions excellent offroad ability with additional e-diff at the rear and there is an excellent PHEV version but they are very popular in all versions so prices stay high/ discounts small. Another JLR wildcard is a Jaguar F-Pace ir even an I-Pace with Optional air suspension and all surface Traction control. I was quite amazed at the offroad performance of the I Pace when taken on a full day demo by our local dealership - not Land Rover standard mud plugging o rock climbing but able to handle greenlaning with ease. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #811316 21st Jan 2020 5:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1