↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheel balancing - is it always necessary?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Wheel balancing - is it always necessary?
Earlier this year I had some new 7.50 R16 Michelin Latitude Cross tyres fitted to my standard LR 5.5" steel rims. My tyre place hadn't got a big enough centre for them for their balancing machine and the boss (who I've known for 30 years and trust completely) said 'you've got top quality tyres, try them unbalanced and see how you get on'.

The wheels, to my slight surprise, are all perfect, there's no vibration at any speed (up to 70mph, and more on a private road) and I've never needed to have them balanced.

I've just had the same issue my all new genuine Wolf steel wheels and 235/85R16 Michelins. The wheel painting place couldn't balance them and neither could a place that deals with HGVs down the road, so I said I'd try them unbalanced.

I'll be doing this shortly, but I just wondered if this is a common problem and if others have found they don't need their Defender's wheels balanced?
Post #788438 24th Aug 2019 7:42am
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I have a static balance set up.
I actually have 2 setups of superfine free running bearings with hubs on that are balanced.
I normally manage to rig something up to fit any wheel centre diameter, I then clock it with a dti to make sure it is running true. And of course re-balance the setup.
About a month ago I did a bit of tyre and tube shuffling;
Removed 11 tyres,
Half removed 2 tyres and fitted tubes to them.
Fitted 3 tyres with tubes.
Then balanced the 6.
This was all because I have tube type rims and Didn’t have tubes in 4 of the 5.

Anyway, back to the question.
I checked the balance on a couple of the assemblies beforehand and one appeared to have 80 grams 120 degrees out.
I had no wobble before touching anything.
I have however balanced them all before fitting back on, I still have no wobble.

In general wheel balance wobble is in the 40-60 mph region but this is size dependent.
Post #788440 24th Aug 2019 8:24am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
The wider and more offset you go any in balance will be magnified - my 8.5" with 285's on a zero offset are a b4st4rd!

But the tyre place in Evesham have no problems balancing them, I wait in the workshop tell the fitter they have to be perfect due to the offset and give him a drink after and all is good - surprised your supplier couldn't balance them, never had that before even years ago with 12" banded steels on a 5 stud VW beach buggy!

Keith
Post #788441 24th Aug 2019 8:31am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
No point normally if used off road. Any off road use will dislodge weights or just knock the wheel tyre about enough to change the balance. Would only consider it if I had bad vibrations caused by wheel imbalances. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #788454 24th Aug 2019 9:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When I had my 255/85x16 BFG KM2 muds fitted to my Blindos the tyre place couldn't mount them on the balancer and offered balance beads instead, but suggested trying them without balancing first which is what I did.

To my surprise they were perfect.

Like all mud tyres, as they have worn the balance has chaned, and I ended up putting about 10oz of beads in each tyre.
Post #788458 24th Aug 2019 10:09am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Pilgrimmick wrote:
Any off road use will dislodge weights or just knock the wheel tyre

Really? I've used mine extensively off-road and never lost a weight or knocked the tyre with respect to the wheel. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #788479 24th Aug 2019 3:21pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I've got my Wolfs fitted now and on a quick road test up our local dual carriageway at speeds up to 70mph, there's no vibration, in fact nothing at all to worry about.

I'll admit I'm relieved!
Post #788484 24th Aug 2019 4:48pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I just had new tires fitted two weeks ago. Pirelli Scorpion MTs in 235/85/R16 on Boost wheels. I wanted to balance all 4 tires but the guys at the shop said I only needed to balance just the fronts for now and just balance the rears when I have them rotated down the line. Drove great even up to 120 kph.

I did a trail last Sunday and crashed into a boulder as we were trying to get ahead of a flash flood due to storm rains. Mangled my steering guard (reinforced bar type), dented the front diff cover (no diff guards yet but I'm definitely getting them now!), haven't fully check the driveline yet, rear step and right rear mud flaps are bent out of shape. Steering wheel is now off center by a few degrees but drives straight still if you point it appropriately and I get a slight steering wheel wobble when hitting 100 kph and above.
Post #788767 27th Aug 2019 4:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1