↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > Registering a Vehicle in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Froglaise

Augustus wrote:
Fair enough. Sounds Grim. Thanks for the heads up.

Having a hard time getting Renault to issue one at the mo. Renault UK just washed their hands of helping and couldn't give a toss. Nice CS. Sad

That and you'd imagine there'd be a glut of Clio3 headlamps knocking about…but no. The hardest thing to find in France is a pair of lamps for my motor.

We will see. Fingers crossed.

Renny have always been a pita and you might want to fork up 200euro or so and go via an agency. Several out there if you search google like www.certificatconformite.eu otherwise take a couple of bottles of a good red into a local dealer and make friends!

Breaker wise I've bought from these guys a few times, and they are always pretty good if not cheapest: www.alberdi.fr
Post #574231 29th Oct 2016 6:58pm
Augustus

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thanks - I'll have a look.

G
Post #575102 3rd Nov 2016 8:34am
LR Sam

England 
Hi the French contingency of Def2 - I have a customer who is wanting to register his 1993 300 tdi 90 hard top in his holiday house in France. My caution is that he is converting into a soft top and swapping it from RHD to LHD as well as a new chassis as the old one is rusted beyond repair (as part of a full rebuild) which will all be changed on the log book. Will the COC therefore appear different to the new look of his Defender rather than the old vehicle it currently is? Can he explain this to the relevant authorities or do you think he will have difficulty? Every part he is fitting is genuine Land Rover (so no upgrades) bar the chassis which is Richards galvanised one. Lights/fogs etc for Europe will be changed as part of the rebuild anyway.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up
Post #786637 13th Aug 2019 4:22pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
LR Sam,

This is a constant debate in France, what you can and cannot do to a vehicle. 'Technically' you can't do anything. Change wheels, upgrade brakes, improve headlights, remap engines etc etc etc. I would strongly suggest that if, after he's done the work and brought the vehicle to France, he tries for a COC, it will fail. LR France will not sign off on it, or at least the dealer won't. Two options are to either try and get the COC from a UK dealer, or get the vehicle re-registered in the UK once the work is done and hope the new description is what the LR Dealer in France signs off on, as opposed to how it left Solihull.

The problem is that no two LR dealers, no two Prefectures, no two CT (MOT) centres, no two anything are the same in France, they won't think the same way or act the same way. So you might be lucky and find a dealer willing to sign off on the rebuild, and then a couple of miles down the road in the next Department, the dealer is by (his or her interpretation of) the book. Always thinking worst case scenario, you come across Mr-by-the-book and it fails I'm afraid. There is some obscure rule that certain garages have special licences to build one-off development/prototype vehicles, I know there's one in Annecy. You MIGHT be able to pay one of them to sign it as one of their builds for a suitable amount of cash, but again, it's very much a guess.

https://www.lazareth.fr/

For all those reading this post, that site is well worth a gander... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #786647 13th Aug 2019 5:25pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Love the Hot Rod Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #786648 13th Aug 2019 6:13pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I would think the lhd to rhd would kill it on its own. But a rebuilt, standard 300tdi wouldn't be a problem. Once registered a soft top conversion wouldn't raise concerns as the hard top could be bolted back on in an afternoon if there was an issue.

JLR issue the C of C's for a very reasonable ÂŁ200

Keith
Post #786672 13th Aug 2019 8:01pm
LR Sam

England 
Thanks Grenadier and Ickle - I shall pass the info on. It sounds like a minefield! I wonder if getting a COC from his local dealer here in the UK after the rebuild would be the way to do it.

I shall let you know how he gets on.

LR Sam
Post #786735 14th Aug 2019 8:25am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"JLR issue the C of C's for a very reasonable ÂŁ200"

One hundred quid actually, and a "Date of Build letter" for £30. A few weeks ago I sent JLR copies of the V5, dealer's invoice and my Driving Licence, together with photos of VIN Plate showing the vehicle weights, the VIN stamped to the chassis, the VIN at the windscreen and “a clear photo of the Vehicle showing the steering wheel [to prove LHD or RHD, mine’s LHD]”.

CoC came back within a week, I’m taking both the Defender and Morgan to France next month to get them registered in France while UK-issued paperwork is still valid. Which GUARANTEES that BREXIT will fall through, and the whole kerfuffle will have been an (expensive) waste of my time. I’m obliged to prepare for the worst though, I won’t be returning to the UK if there’s a risk of my only being allowed back to my gaff in France for 90 days in any six-month period, or “Article 12 of the Protocol on the Privileges and Immunities shall apply in the United Kingdom” not being carried over as it was in the "Draft Agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, as agreed at negotiators' level on 14 November 2018" (Theresa's "deal") and I’ll be DOUBLY taxed on my European pension.

Peter
Post #786765 14th Aug 2019 12:08pm
LR Sam

England 
That is interesting Peter, do you think therefore that getting the correct COC in the UK will help massively with getting the French authorities to register the vehicles in France?
Post #786787 14th Aug 2019 1:55pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Well, the Morgan main dealer who is doing the lamp swap (Defenders and Morgans have the same 7" headlamps of course), Contrôle Technique etc., couldn't do anything without one... plus, of course justificatif d'adresse de moins de 6 mois (EDF, tél), the usual...

Peter
Post #786822 14th Aug 2019 4:46pm
ickle

Just to reprise this thread, Birdy the C of C was most definitely ÂŁ200 from JLR for my 2007 110, I had to send a screen shot of the bank transfer so that they'd start the process immediately.

Apart from the C of C, control technique (or valid UK MOT is apparently OK if less than 6 months old) utility bill in your name - not the wife's .... a Quitus Fiscal from your tax office, carte sejour or passport, V 5, original invoice, inside leg measurement, scan it all, alter it all to jpg, rescan to less than 1 mb file size & upload it all to the ANTS system it all works!

The best bit, as mine was bought back from Spain and re registered in 2010 it had the commercial status (N1?) on the V5 - so instead of a ÂŁ5000 tax bill reduced by 50% as its over 10 years old I have just paid 246 Euros!
Post #814335 9th Feb 2020 3:51pm
dba11

France 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 Ice LE Alaska White
Ickle, i have just registered my 2010 110 Defender in France, it is an M1 classification, and cost me €430.
Thé Malus tax goes up each year from 2010, so if it was a 2012 reg it would have been €2430, if 2015 reg €5430, so on etc etc.
A friend with the same year 110 as mine but an N1 classification cost the same €430.
Post #814404 9th Feb 2020 7:54pm
ickle

It so complicated, we're also looking for a car for swmbo and I keep running things through the carte gris website and various other online ex pat forms and I had braced myself for a 2500 E tax bill, so 240 e for the 110 was a celebratory bottle, had trouble walking the dog after.

Probably going to look at a new French supplied car for ease at the moment, tbc

Cheers Keith
Post #814408 9th Feb 2020 8:22pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
ickle wrote:
Just to reprise this thread, Birdy the C of C was most definitely ÂŁ200 from JLR for my 2007 110, I had to send a screen shot of the bank transfer so that they'd start the process immediately.

Apart from the C of C, control technique (or valid UK MOT is apparently OK if less than 6 months old) utility bill in your name - not the wife's .... a Quitus Fiscal from your tax office, carte sejour or passport, V 5, original invoice, inside leg measurement, scan it all, alter it all to jpg, rescan to less than 1 mb file size & upload it all to the ANTS system it all works!

The best bit, as mine was bought back from Spain and re registered in 2010 it had the commercial status (N1?) on the V5 - so instead of a ÂŁ5000 tax bill reduced by 50% as its over 10 years old I have just paid 246 Euros!

Ickle, do you have the contact details at JLR for the CoC? Need to get this sorted now. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #814856 13th Feb 2020 6:23am
ickle

you have a pm!
Post #814898 13th Feb 2020 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>