↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > A turn for the better....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
A turn for the better....
I know the following might all have something in common but that's not the point. My point is that in two of the following the culprit (it took me some time to use that word) is up for attempted murder. I'm sure before Boris it would have been a much lesser crime - probably 'nasty face pulling' or some else just a rediculous.

So I do hope that maybe the tide is turning and punishments might just be getting in line with the severity of the crime. As for Priti Patel I'd give her a big thumbs up if she brought back capital punishment but for now I'm happy that she's keen to make criminals 'scared' Thumbs Up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-49316845

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49273979

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49318800
Post #786463 12th Aug 2019 3:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
About time tougher sentencing was introduced too. Crims were just going about with no fear at all of any consequence. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #786464 12th Aug 2019 3:29pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I'd have more respect for them if they sorted their own 'house' out first...........to clarify i mean MP's and not the front line "bobby"

Not sure we have had a more self-serving, devious bunch (across all parties) for a very long time........many with multiple mess-ups that in the real world would mean they were out on their backside, but no we welcome them back time and again !!

Last edited by 90 Dreamer on 12th Aug 2019 7:19pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #786499 12th Aug 2019 7:14pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
For some reason its all kicked off where I live, with stolen cars, People been stabbed, shops been BBQed and cars been driven into shop windows. So things really need to be put back in line, before a group of people take the law into their own hands. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #786500 12th Aug 2019 7:17pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Capital punishment bring it back.

Carry a knife, 10 year sentence.

‘No comment” in a police interview, extra month everytime you say if your found guilty to prevent criminals wasting police time

Injure or kill a member of the emergency services including nurses, doctors, etc , 20year sentence no ifs or buts or parole.

It’s time we got tougher on scumbags.

Stepping down off my soapbox now, sorry but it makes my blood boil how bloody soft we are. Evil or Very Mad 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #786502 12th Aug 2019 7:27pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Post #786512 12th Aug 2019 9:02pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Lots of people thought Boris was an idiot, but if he acts on what he's saying, it looks like he's going to be the best PM we've had for many years.
Post #786536 13th Aug 2019 6:53am
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
I suggest everyone to look at the Norwegian prison system which is proving to be wildly successful, against steep public criticism.
It's fundamentally in our genetics to punish those who wrong us, but it does nothing but make things worse.
Post #786545 13th Aug 2019 8:06am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
^^^ Agree entirely. Focus needs to shift onto WHY people are committing the crimes they are committing and address the root causes. We are trapped in an ever-growing spiral of crime generating more crime. Humans make bad choices. Sometimes those bad choices have little consequence and sometimes they have massive, disastrous consequences. But that is the nature of humans.

It is hard to believe that we have still not really managed to move beyond the idea that the only way to punish someone for committing a crime is to lock them up in a prison cell. Doing so causes so many further problems. Not least of which is how do you manage and maintain facilities that can cope with this ever-growing number of prisoners who are no longer making any contribution to society but just becoming a burden upon it?

Humans are innately opportunistic and will generally take the easiest option presented to them, so long as it isn't accompanied by a massive risk. Ultimately it is all about risk and reward. For the majority of law-abiding citizens, we consider the risk (ending up in prison) to be far greater than the reward. But when your personal circumstances change and you begin to get desperate the balance starts to shift. Suddenly the potential reward starts to outweigh the perceived risk. There are a whole multitude of factors that influence this balance, but we need to try to maintain the balance so that the risk is always the greatest. This has echoes of the old adage that 'crime doesn't pay' - but the truth is that crime does pay, if you can get away with it. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #786578 13th Aug 2019 1:06pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White

Alright, it's about footie, but rather apt?
Post #786618 13th Aug 2019 4:07pm
dorsetsmith

Carry a knife, 10 year sentence. No but if you Carry a knife, and kill or wound with it now 10 year + sentence. good start, i Carry a knife, but only for cut up pork pie for lunch cut string on bale hay sharpen pencil
Post #786638 13th Aug 2019 5:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1