↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Here’s a thought
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Here’s a thought
Was driving through town earlier, behind a D4 and something occurred to me (apologies if this has been suggested before). Knowing how long car planning takes, I’m assuming the decision to halt production was taken long before production of our Defenders actually stopped. So I wonder if McGovern and crew had actually been thinking of the Defender successor well, well before 2016. Makes sense, and we all know that’s probably what happened.

But what if, in 2014, McGovern and crew already knew that the Defender successor would look as it appears it’s going to and suddenly thought ‘balls’ that looks like a D4 or a D4+? Maybe, whilst we all assume McGovern had a brain-fart with the new D5, he was instead forced to make it look different enough to the D4 so that the new Defender could look like something many of us have said is what the D5 should have been?

They knew they needed a new Defender, but modern design, modern taste and limitations placed by legal requirements meant that McGovern’s hand was forced and it was destined to look like the D5, a modern box-shaped D4 successor?

So, what should have been the D5 had to become the Defender and JLR were forced to botch some kind of Disoo replacement that didn’t look like the new Defender or the D4, so created a blob, which by having a hip in the roof-line and an overhang, apparently carried on the DNA of the D1.

Do you follow? Does that make sense?... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey

Last edited by Grenadier on 9th Aug 2019 5:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #785916 9th Aug 2019 5:06pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
McGovern had a brain-fart

I cannot get that image out of my head now Laughing For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #785925 9th Aug 2019 5:32pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I guess we are all desperate to see it, sit in it and ponder if we like it, for me i think it’s going to be cost prohibitive because I use mine for work and get paid a monthly car allowance but it needs to be 4 door to be compliant ......I don’t want to sell my 90 to buy one so I guess I will sit in one at my main dealers and either think it’s lovely but it’s too expensive or hate it and keep my 90 and have a company car instead and park the 90 up for high days and holidays.......

Thanks McGovern for your “brain fart” and maybe making me drive a company car........ 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #785932 9th Aug 2019 5:58pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think that's an excellent hypothesis Grenadier. You clearly have too much time on your hands though Laughing 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #785940 9th Aug 2019 6:08pm
spudfan

Ireland 
This assumes that McGovern thinks... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #785950 9th Aug 2019 6:40pm
Grenadier

Bluest wrote:
I think that's an excellent hypothesis Grenadier. You clearly have too much time on your hands though Laughing

I was stuck in traffic. Or what counts for traffic in St Ger. Holiday makers clogging up the road arriving in town.... Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #785960 9th Aug 2019 7:06pm
Tim in Scotland

Here’s another thought......... Once Boris has finished wrecking the economy with a no deal Brexit, when he’s sold us off as a broke job lot to Trump as the state of Whales and the pound is worth about 10 Euro cents will any of us be able to afford an imported Defender after US import tariffs on European made products have been applied? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #786024 9th Aug 2019 10:16pm
blackrangie

Australia 
Heres a thought, mcgovern doesnt run JLR and is a small piece of the puzzle. LR also trolled everyone with the d4 shapped camo, end product imo wont look like a d4, autocar render of body looks the closest i reckon, just tame down the susp and tyres a little. Obviously years before the Dc100 days is when they first started thinking about a defender replacement.

Click image to enlarge
Post #786033 9th Aug 2019 11:30pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
wow the boot/payload space looks terrible My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #786050 10th Aug 2019 9:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
JLR has known for years exactly the type of vehicle the new Pretender will be, and the market it is aimed at. It is the only reason for all the brand hopping they've been doing to put the Discovery branding on what used to be Freelander to allow the Defender branding to be put on what is really the member of the Discovery family.

It makes perfect sense since to sell in the numbers required the new Pretender must sell to a much bigger and more mainstream market sector, i.e., the Discovery 'lifestyle' sector.
Post #786051 10th Aug 2019 9:11am
blackrangie

Australia 

Click image to enlarge

Agreed it doesnt look as big as current 110, for payload, however the rear legroom and no doubt front legroom has been increased, whilst still keeping an incredible departure angle.

I would bet that with the boxyness of the rear and width increase + no square boxes down the side in the 110, cargo space wouldnt be far off current, seeming as though 2 seats will fit in back, its cant be too smal, no doubt inceases in storage space in all doors + console (if chosen) etc also.
Post #786052 10th Aug 2019 9:12am
Grenadier

Good photo as the view of the rear of the D4 is exactly what made me think about how the D5 and new Defender might have evolved, with the Defender shoving the D5 out of the way. That looks very much like where the D4 could have gone next. But they would have been too similar and the uniqueness of the Defender in the amorphous LR stable would have been diluted... Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #786061 10th Aug 2019 9:34am
fisha

I know what you mean, but with the step in the hip of the body line for the new defender, I reckon it would actually sit quite nicely against the D3/4 style body line ... they would have been sufficiently different.

My biggest gripe about the D5 shape is the slumped jelly mould lower ar5e it seems to have. If they had just cut some of the bottom rear corners to tuck the rear end in under itself, it wouldn't look half as bad. -------------------------------
I miss my V8's....
Post #786194 10th Aug 2019 9:27pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I worked for Land Rover Experience in the South East for 10 years from 2002 and when the D3 came out I said at the time the new Defender will have the same chassis as the D3 otherwise why still make a car with separate chassis and body; at the time Land Rover had the capability to go full monocoque as they were building the Freelander and Full Fat Ranger Rover that were both monocoque.

Here we are 12 years later and still waiting! Cheers Don.
Post #786237 11th Aug 2019 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1