↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Defender's doing there job at Whaley Bridge dam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Defender's doing there job at Whaley Bridge dam
The shocking event that is unfolding at Toddbrook Reservoir.

I cannot really imagine what the residents are going through and I only hope that the dam does not breach and those evacuated people can in the next few days return to their homes.

Totally impressed in the way our services and volunteer agencies have worked tirelessly through the last thirty-six hours and the precision flying the Royal Air force pilots have done carrying six tons of gravel at a time.

I also noted the number of Defenders that are assisting with the work, great to see them being used in what they were made for. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #784572 2nd Aug 2019 7:58pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
It amuses me that all these “special” 4X4’s that are out there, but when the sh|t hits the fan, you tend to see Defenders sorting it.

Maybe I’m just biased.
Post #784574 2nd Aug 2019 8:15pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Total respect to all the people working up there Bow down 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #784578 2nd Aug 2019 8:28pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
totally agree with respect For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #784620 3rd Aug 2019 2:31am
camelman

United Kingdom 
We (Derby MRT) were called up there on Thursday along with the other Mountain Rescue teams in the Peak District.
Most of us have flood rescue sections in the teams as well.
Tense evening on Thursday followed by sleeping on the fire station floor in our dry suits just in case!

Sadly, 1 of our Defenders has just been replaced by a Ford Ranger, leaving us with the 130.

Click image to enlarge
Post #784673 3rd Aug 2019 3:52pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's not the sort of thing you come into work, or get up in the morning anticipating?

I really feel for the people of Whaley Bridge. Beautiful little town. Spent the night there in a canal boat (years ago, before Bugsworth Basin was re-flooded). Can't imagine what the residents feel like?

I worked under a dam on a reservoir once! The one I worked on was quite regularly assessed and inspected by the Water Company. They had an Engineer just for the job. It was a lot newer than this one and made out of London Clay..

Couldn't believe the comments this morning on BBC Breakfast. "Why aren't they pouring quick drying cement into the hole rather than bags of aggregate?" As if that was the answer to problem. If only it was going to be that easy?

Just keep my fingers crossed for everyone involved that the storms which are predicted are less severe than forecast.

I like to see Defenders doing what they were made for, but I know they are American, but you just have to love a Chinook not doing what it was designed for. Some very skilled flying from the Royal Air Force Thumbs Up
Post #784704 3rd Aug 2019 8:00pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
+1 : Hats off to the Chinook pilots.

I wonder if the avionic stability controls adjust the amount of lift when each of those heavy bags of ballast are dropped or if it is all down to the skill of the pilots to reduce the lift to compensate for the sudden change in weight?

Either way, it's very impressive and I really hope it helps to prevent the dam from bursting.
Post #784706 3rd Aug 2019 8:20pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Ooooh, I love a Chinook. Always my favourite 'lift'. And amazing what the pilots can do.

I was in Odiham many moons ago and hopped on board a Chinook doing some 'stall' training. Basically they would fly vertically up to the point of stall, then fall back down the the same trajectory, then spin the nose using the rear tail/rotor as the axis, plummet to the ground, get the blades turning again and then swoop out....round after round after round; epic fun, particularly as the rear door was open the whole time.... Bow down

Also flew in a USMC Chinook in Iraq. AC/DC playing loud on speakers. I kid you not... clearly the crew (very nice, btw) had watched too many Vietnam war films.. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #784787 4th Aug 2019 9:20am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Sounds like a roller coaster......
Post #784809 4th Aug 2019 11:39am
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Grenadier wrote:
Ooooh, I love a Chinook. Always my favourite 'lift'. And amazing what the pilots can do.

I was in Odiham many moons ago and hopped on board a Chinook doing some 'stall' training. Basically they would fly vertically up to the point of stall, then fall back down the the same trajectory, then spin the nose using the rear tail/rotor as the axis, plummet to the ground, get the blades turning again and then swoop out....round after round after round; epic fun, particularly as the rear door was open the whole time.... Bow down

Also flew in a USMC Chinook in Iraq. AC/DC playing loud on speakers. I kid you not... clearly the crew (very nice, btw) had watched too many Vietnam war films.. Whistle

That sounds breathtaking!

I worked at RAF Odiham for a year or so but nothing anywhere near as exciting as that; just a kitchen porter contractor initially for the junior mess and then the officer’s mess. Ended up quitting one day because one of the mess managers (can’t remember her rank) was a knob when I told her about someone doing something she’d collared me for doing, and she didn’t give two fecks.

Still, felt good saying I worked on an RAF base!
Post #784839 4th Aug 2019 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1