↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Driver’s side wiper not parking....help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defensorprime

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Driver’s side wiper not parking....help!
Hi team - have been searching forums, you tubing etc etc. My drivers side wiper is not parking correctly. I’ve changed the wiper parking switch. Made no difference. I fitted a new wiper arm and spindle as the wiper at one point kept falling off - that fixed that. But I’m a bit stumped as to next fix. Do I need to remove rest of the dash to get at something that needs adjusting? I’m relatively idiotic and inexperienced when it comes to electronics, cars and everything in general so don’t be afraid to give me baby steps! (Yes I know buying defender as a non mechanics is a terrible life choice....)

Any help much appreciated!

Ps currently an MOT fail because it ‘obstructs the drivers view’
Post #784655 3rd Aug 2019 11:00am
donmacn

Do you mean to say that the wipers work OK, and then when you switch off, the passenger side one is parking OK, but the drivers one not? That sounds difficult to achieve!

Just a couple of thoughts then:

If the passenger side is working properly, then the park switch is probably fine. It's fixed to the wiper motor on the lect side of the bulkhead. You'd get to that by removing the smaller section of the lower dash above the passenger footwell. It's effectively what the wiring loom plugs into.

If someone's replaced the wiper drive cable, it's possible that the wrong one is fitted. The newer ones are shorter than TDi ones, so it might just engage occasionally with the drivers side wiper wheelbox, but not be long enough to pull it back down to the park position. I know this because I'd assumed they were the same part, ordered one, and found it significantly shorter than the one I'd taken off.

Again, this is a relativly easy fix once you have access to the wiper motor.
Remove wiper arms, so that the spindles are free to turn;
Unbolt the motor from the cable 'sleeve' and withdraw with the cable attached;
Compare what length cable you have to a proper replacment. If it's shorter, fit the longer one and you should be sorted.

The system is so simple that I can't think of any other way for you to be getting the problem you're describing - assuming the passenger side one is behaving itself. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #784819 4th Aug 2019 11:05am
Defensorprime

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Thanks for your help - realised I never replied- new cable (and gear mechanisms just to be on the safe side!) and they work in tandem now!

Once I fixed that however I was then able to discover that my full speed setting no longer works.......! Rolling Eyes
Post #850821 18th Aug 2020 10:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would recommend lubing the spindles with something like 3-1 oil with the rubber caps pulled away.
Leave it a few days and run the wipers as you apply to run it though and down the spindles. (Be careful of the moving wipers).

Then pack the area with rubber grease and refit the cap, you can at least do this from the outside for now and see if it helps.

I often find the spindles get dry after the summer, and can seize in autumn when first used due to lack of lube.

If the wipers ever stop mid screen, keep the wipers on and give them a nudge and they will likely shift again under their own power.

I’ve been sorting mine out the last few days, so the timing is coincidental.

Yes, it would be ideal to re-new but it’s a big job just to access it, that’s where the work is just getting at it. At least on a Puma it is. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #850824 18th Aug 2020 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1