↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > None electrical Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Mo Murphy wrote:
Trouble is its not just the pump. It's bespoke injectors, bespoke pistons, bespoke injector pipes.
I'm not sure an exposed FIP drive belt is going to be reliable on a Land Rover either. Are you going to be able to order these easily from Ghana or Kenya or Morrocco to take advantage of its simplicity ?
And with a bit of ingenuity you can stick a 6 speeder behind any engine ๐Ÿ˜‰
Get yourselves a real mechanical engine and dont waste good 300 tdi pumps on your transit engine ๐Ÿ˜
Mo

300tdi is no better than a a TDdi puma, and you seem to know a lot " 300 TDI pumps"
You mean Bosh pump ones from a pug 1.9tdi Fit also
My mate has got the Bosh VP 30 fly by wire on a transit puma TDdi running stand alone.
Post #784571 2nd Aug 2019 6:56pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Oldyellar,
I'm not sure I completely understand your post above but I try and answer what I do.

Indeed the 300 Tdi is no better than the Tdci, you're correct but the 300, at least in its earlier forms is mechanical and requires no expensive modification to be mechanical and spare parts are cheap and plentiful.

The film title states that the engine is using a 300 tdi FIP, I'm not quite sure where a Pug FIP comes into it.

My point in my earlier posts is that it's not a practical conversion. It certainly is an interesting engineering project but alas the film does not show the FIP or how it's driven so we only have film posters word for it.

If you want a mechanically fuel injected diesel engine for your Land Rover then fit an engine that was designed to be just that and there are tens of thousands of Land Rovers out there still reliably running Tdi engines on the road today. A tribute to its design, simplicity and reliability. ๐Ÿ‘

Or you could fit one that's run for 10 seconds sat on a pallet with alleged claims to be a mechanical conversion but with no evidence to back it up.
If they can make a practical conversion then I take my hat off to them but really, why would you ?

I know which I'd choose. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #784604 2nd Aug 2019 9:36pm
Oldyellar

Mo you dont understand, this is not a conversion of the tdci but the earlier direct injection puma engine that the 2007 onwards puma tdci is based on..

It ran in the transit mk6 2001 - 2006 and ldv convoy
It runs a vp30 and vp44 fuel pump that fails only due to electrical faults and not mechanical
These guys are putting fully mechanically operated pumps on there vans to stop electrical gremlins. Imo its league's ahead of the 300tdi.

As for for Peugeot and LR pumps they are basically the same the point I was making was you dont need to specifically use the 300 pump I got the feeling this upsets you.

Post #784613 2nd Aug 2019 10:51pm
Oldyellar

Also the exposed FIP belt you talk of is a timing chain that's incased
Post #784614 2nd Aug 2019 10:59pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Ah clarity, thank you old yellow. It wasn't clear that you were using the ''puma'' for Fords engine range whereas on this forum ''puma'' is commonly referred to as the 2007 on Tdci engined Defender ๐Ÿ˜Š hence the confusion. I and I suspect others thought you were referring to mechanical conversions for Defender engines ๐Ÿ˜‚
In which case I'm sure the conversion is very good for transits ๐Ÿ˜Š
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #784615 2nd Aug 2019 11:00pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Itโ€™s a Bosch โ€œVEโ€ style/series pump fitted in many different applications- if you genuinely want to know more go and buy yourself โ€œBosch Diesel Engine Managementโ€ the book and learn all you can wish Laughing
Post #784696 3rd Aug 2019 6:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12