Home > In Car Electronics > Best navigation with Android Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stevec205gti

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Best navigation with Android Auto
Hi all

Following a lot of helpful hints and tips on here I now have a JVC double DIN head unit, all connected up to my Android phone.

Has anyone running a similar set up found an acceptable / usuable navigation program to run on it.

I like google maps, but the roads are so small it's very difficult to see what's going on. Zooming in won't do it as I still need to see a reasonable distance ahead - I'd like to be able to change the line style to something chunkier that's easier to glance at whilst driving.

I've also downloaded Waze, but this doesn't seem to have an offline map function like google maps - we drive across to Germany quite often, and being able to download a whole map set before we set off is a big boost.

Anyone come across a good set up?
Post #784169 31st Jul 2019 7:40am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I don’t know if this is relevant, I’m not familiar with Android Auto, but TomTom Go works well on an Android Tablet. There is a subscription but it is not expensive. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #784173 31st Jul 2019 7:51am
stevec205gti

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Thanks - from what I've read up it won't run through the 'Android Auto' part that links to the Head Unit
Post #784198 31st Jul 2019 10:21am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We use Co-Pilot for my Samsung tablet and have world wide maps available to buy or a free UK map via an app

The maps are very good and easy to use, have speed cameras and road speed limits, as well as a good points of interest, all down loaded to teh device.

(example from somewhere in Switzerland )

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #784205 31st Jul 2019 12:07pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Re: Best navigation with Android Auto
stevec205gti wrote:
Hi all

Following a lot of helpful hints and tips on here I now have a JVC double DIN head unit, all connected up to my Android phone.

Has anyone running a similar set up found an acceptable / usuable navigation program to run on it.

I like google maps, but the roads are so small it's very difficult to see what's going on. Zooming in won't do it as I still need to see a reasonable distance ahead - I'd like to be able to change the line style to something chunkier that's easier to glance at whilst driving.

I've also downloaded Waze, but this doesn't seem to have an offline map function like google maps - we drive across to Germany quite often, and being able to download a whole map set before we set off is a big boost.

Anyone come across a good set up?

I'm using Android Auto in my other cars with similar sized display screens without any issues - i'm wondering if there's a screen size or zoom setting that your missing that's causing this? Other than the very occasional glitch i've found it a very reliable and useful app.
Post #784213 31st Jul 2019 1:07pm
Fiebre

Spain 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
I use my Samsung Tablet Galaxy 7 with GPS and Oruxmaps.
I sincronize it by bluetooth with my mobile phone to use the 4G and can connect it to internet to search data when I needed. Razz
Post #784219 31st Jul 2019 1:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1