↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > running TV from an Invertor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Well having put this idea on the back burner for a couple of weeks I spoke to an electrician over the week end who turned up this morning unexpectedly with his test equipment as he couldn't give a definite answer (no disrespect to those on here that tried to help) . So after setting the system up in the garage and switching everything on and taking several readings to ensure that it was a safe system finally he took the amp reading on the cables connecting the battery and the inverter

Start up of the TV was 5 amp and when it settled down 2.6 amp.

Nicam before he started I did show him your reply and he just had that look people have when they are trying to work things out in their head and nodded. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #779743 1st Jul 2019 10:05am
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
"he just had that look people have when they are trying to work things out in their head and nodded" Shocked
I get that a lot!!!
At 2.6 amps draw from the battery, that is only 32 watts of power being consumed by the entire system.
So the TV may be rated at 40 watts, but only if you have the picture turned up to maximum brightness and have full volume set, but under normal usage, it obviously takes a lot less power.
A good result for you because; 1) it works, and 2 ) your battery will last much longer between charges Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!
Post #779746 1st Jul 2019 12:21pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Edit - sorry just seen your post regarding the electrician above! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #779751 1st Jul 2019 1:18pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
nicam wrote:
"he just had that look people have when they are trying to work things out in their head and nodded" Shocked
I get that a lot!!!
At 2.6 amps draw from the battery, that is only 32 watts of power being consumed by the entire system.
So the TV may be rated at 40 watts, but only if you have the picture turned up to maximum brightness and have full volume set, but under normal usage, it obviously takes a lot less power.
A good result for you because; 1) it works, and 2 ) your battery will last much longer between charges

I must admit that we did not have the aerial plugged in when we did the initial check so after reading the above I rechecked it as he had leant my his clam on meter. The second check with the aerial plugged in gave the same readings. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #779840 2nd Jul 2019 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12