↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Sub and speakers.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Sub and speakers.
I want a mild upgrade in my sound system.

I’m thinking of fitting a sub/amp combo unit under the cubby box in a mudstuff box. Mudstuff offer two subs, one is a Phoenix @ £145 and the other is a Focal @ £270. I also plan to fit four of their focal pc130 speakers.

I DON’T want to fit a sub, so is their any point fitting the better sub, if the speakers are only powered by the head unit?

Thanks Andy
Post #777691 16th Jun 2019 10:53am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi, Focal PC130s work well with the standard fit Alpine head unit, I have them in the back of my 110. The LR branded head units have less power output, so won't drive them as well.

I have Focal KR130 in the front, and IMHO they really need an amp to get the best out of them, something I've not yet done. They only come alive and start to sound great after the volume is past 3/4.

I've also got the Alpine active sub, this makes a big difference to the overall sound.

If you're set on having PC130 front and rear, fit them first and see what you think, before deciding on amps and subs. Thumbs Up

Ps, Dynamic Sounds did a great price and quick delivery.
dynamicsounds.co.uk
Post #777736 16th Jun 2019 4:59pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Very pleased with the addition of an OEM Alpine sub Thumbs Up

Hopefully this is not irrelevant to the original post - would Focal tweeters be a worthwhile addition Question Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #777739 16th Jun 2019 5:31pm
DSC-off

I'd fit tweeters that are matched to the main speaker, with a crossover that was designed for the job of making the 2 work together.
A '2way component set' would be my recommendation, rather than just tweeters added on to the factory fit speakers.
Or if you're on a limited budget, a pair of good quality 2way speakers in the lower dash.
Post #777742 16th Jun 2019 5:40pm
landy andy

Thanks all for your input.

The focals mentioned above have tweeters in the center.

Click image to enlarge

But having looked at the site that DSC mentioned I may go for a set that are shown with compete with separate tweeters to mount on the dash top.

I’m hoping I can fit the bigger than standard speakers in the front dash, as I have air con fitted

Last Defender I had the alpine sub and was happy with it,

I just want basic upgrade and not have loads kit to wire and hide.
Post #777745 16th Jun 2019 6:37pm
landy andy

These are now what I’m thinking for the front.

Click image to enlarge

Or

Click image to enlarge

Are you just better getting the more powerful ones, or the opposite if you aren’t providing the required power?
Post #777747 16th Jun 2019 6:41pm
DSC-off

Be careful with Focal Integration speakers, they are designed to be an easy replacement for similar size speakers in a factory location, behind panels or factory grilles. They don't come with grilles for the woofers. Both the ones you showed come without.
The dynamic sounds site says with or without grilles in the description, but it's not always easy to spot. If in doubt, give them a call.

Both those would be fine without an amp, due to being intended as a replacement in a factory fit system

Interesting, they show PC130s as out of stock, and don't show in the main listings.
Post #777758 16th Jun 2019 9:12pm
landy andy

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you’ve read it more than me.

My plan was to give them a ring and go through my requirements, and see what they suggest. They are better priced than mudstuff and I only started there as they did the under cubby enclosure.

Thanks again for input.
Post #777767 16th Jun 2019 10:11pm
donmacn

First thing, I'm no audiophile!

When I first got my car umpty um years ago it had absolutely nothing by way of audio - no wiring, no radio, no speakers....

I fitted a radio and four speakers back in the mists of time. Just in the last few weeks I've fitted a MUD sub as the 'enclosure' and an active sub (no separate amp) and a set of new Pioneer speakers. I'm away from home, on a phone, so can't give you the numbers etc. When I first turned the radio on after the install, the sub was turned up quite high - and it was hugely frightening! A 'massive' noise I wasn't used to. The whole seats and cubby were shaking.

My speakers came from Dynamic Sounds - I just spent a few minutes on the phone, chatted through my requirements and followed their advice. Not massively expensive either.

I still need to finish off some stuff with the car - I have no door cards fitted at the moment, and some matting still to replace inside the bulkhead - but I can tell already that there's so much more precision in the sound, quite apart from the huge bass potential. I think the tweeters/woofers in the upper and lower dash make a big difference, and going from no sub, to a sub is an enormous change.

I think, going back to your first post, giving the guys at Dynamic Sounds a call, and chatting it through would be worth your while.

I found fitting the tweeters to be 'simples' but I did have the upper and lower dash completely out of the car at the time, so easy to use holesaws and jigsaw. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #777771 16th Jun 2019 11:51pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
If there is any way for you to fit larger speakers in the rear, it's a game changer.

I fit Focal 165AC which are also up above the rear windows, away from cargo and a more direct path for the sound to travel forwards Instead of into the back of the rear seats). Very Happy

The 165 has 30% more surface area, which improves bass and overall sound compared the the upgraded 130 driver. (It's over 3x more than the standard 100mm speaker) The plastic panels where the speakers mount below the windows are thin and are too flexible, they resonate with the speaker and you actually lose some of the range of sound. These speakers are mounted to 70mm of birch plywood, mounted solidly to the rear upper roof, the enclosure is lined with Dynamat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #778797 24th Jun 2019 4:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1