Home > Off Topic > Anyone use a home battery storage system with solar for home
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Anyone use a home battery storage system with solar for home
Hello

Does anyone use a power bank in conjunction with solar panels for home use.

I'm currently looking at options and found a table that listed all the different makes and price per Kw as it happens the Tesla power bank 2 is one of the best value.

I Have no solar panels on the house yet so just looking at options it would be good to hear if anyone uses a storage system and what you think of it.

Thanks
Post #778302 20th Jun 2019 7:52pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Are they available in UK now? Tried to get one last year, but no luck. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #778306 20th Jun 2019 8:28pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Unsure but the details for prices are in UK pounds?

with your research does it look the best unit? It seems the power bank 2 is one of the few to also have battery back up auto switch as std.
Post #778311 20th Jun 2019 8:51pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I’m sure the Tesla ones are available.

Renenergy is our local stockist. Not sure if they would be able to help in your location? They do the panels as well.

I have had dealings with Renenergy for work. I have no other connection with them. They seem to be a good company. I haven’t got solar panels myself. I have obsolete roof tiles and the last thing I would want is a broken tile during the fitting process.

For the Tesla boxes I presume you would need a minimum amount of solar input so perhaps it is dependant on the amount of PV you can screw to your roof? The Tesla boxes are fairly big as well. You will need an accessible location.

Makes sense to store the power. There is no point in exporting to the grid now. Much better to use what you generate.
Post #778331 20th Jun 2019 10:18pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Re: Anyone use a home battery storage system with solar for
Stacey007 wrote:
Hello

Does anyone use a power bank in conjunction with solar panels for home use.

I'm currently looking at options and found a table that listed all the different makes and price per Kw as it happens the Tesla power bank 2 is one of the best value.

I Have no solar panels on the house yet so just looking at options it would be good to hear if anyone uses a storage system and what you think of it.

Thanks

I've worked a couple jobs with Powerpacks...

They're pretty solid but require building control for install as they're LI-ON batteries which if they go up the fire brigade only carry extinguishers for. I'd also check with your home insurer before you do so, as you need to mount it on a solid masonry wall (IE 1B brick/Block thk without insulation or cavity) so many end up in a hidden concrete pit in the front garden instead. Or at least for powerwall 1...

They have been available in the Uk contrary to popular belief but there were only a couple of installers who were Niceic qualified and willing to sign off on them, they had a 3 year wait list (like everything tesla) at one point.

I understand they're now indoor approved.

In terms of Solar panels they're mostly useless as the rate of degradation for most PV units outweighs the total sum of energy generated due to weather conditions in the uk. Or in simple terms they get less efficient over time and due to the UKs climate, they will become so inefficient that you will never recoup your costs unless its sunny 240 days a year for 30 years.

If you have a bit of land i'd suggest ground source heat pumps with thermoelectric generator which work geothermally so energy output is not based on output on weather but on seasons. Only problem is they're significantly pricey and require planning permission. My bosses house had one and it was the nuts, cool in summer, warm in winter, and something like 90% off the grid. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #778333 20th Jun 2019 10:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
OsloBlue

Interesting, I was on;y a few days ago discussing the ground source heating option with my dad. A company he had seen were offering the kit but its £30K

The Tesla powerbank and panels is around half this even from tesla and I can sort the panels cheaper and fitting..

However I appreciate they work differently, How much land is needed for the heat pump and again can you store the power? I've not looked into this enough
Post #778387 21st Jun 2019 10:55am
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Stacey, I'm pretty sure there are 'green deals' (subsidies) in the UK to assist with the payments on a ground source heat pump, if you were to go that direction.
Post #778394 21st Jun 2019 12:32pm
OsloBlue

Stacey007 wrote:
OsloBlue

Interesting, I was on;y a few days ago discussing the ground source heating option with my dad. A company he had seen were offering the kit but its £30K

The Tesla powerbank and panels is around half this even from tesla and I can sort the panels cheaper and fitting..

However I appreciate they work differently, How much land is needed for the heat pump and again can you store the power? I've not looked into this enough

I’ve seen people get by on a single bore but that has to be really deep, and the deeper you go the more expensive it gets as you need a bigger rig which required more space etc. But you can do shallower bore but more of them, I’ve seen a 35m/sq back garden in Holland Park with 5 bores (one per corner and one in centre) but the issue was getting a boring/ piling rig back there.

When PV panels eventually wear out after about 25 years deterioration they’re dead weight, good luck getting them taken away. So you will end up paying for them to be taken away and new ones installed.

When the GSHPs wear out it’s a matter of replacing the pumps and generator whilst retaining the bores which is a fraction of the cost etc.

Lots of people jump into PVs when they don’t require them as their cost outweighs what they will ever save or reclaim from the grid.

Green deals are now withdrawn, however some local authorities continue and allow you to apply for them for retrofitting of insulation, windows and boilers where I live.

Money might be better spent on those items I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #778396 21st Jun 2019 12:58pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
The way I see it now, I'm very unlikely to move..

So this could be our house for the next 40 / 50 years. Bills such as Electric and gas are only going up each year and while I have the means I don't mind the upfront costs to save the ongoing costs.. if that makes sense.

Completely agree I would like the full lifecycle cost and breakeven points with each system and the benefits / negatives also.

There must be something quite satisfying knowing that the energy your using is almost 'free' once these breakeven points have been met irrespective of the fact your doing your bit to reduce your carbon footprint.

I can see we will almost certainly have an electric car in the next 3 years so it all fits in well. I just need to understand each system and what suits our needs.
Post #778407 21st Jun 2019 2:37pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I thought that ground source was only suitable for heating water (typically for background heat), rather than for generating electricity.
Have I missed a new development?

I've a paddock next to my house that would be ideal for ground source. Problem is our existing radiators wouldn't be suitable for lower temperature from ground source and don't fancy digging up all the floors just to install under floor heating. If it could be used to generate leccy, it would be a different story.
Post #778422 21st Jun 2019 4:55pm
OsloBlue

You need a thermoelectric generator. That simple. It’s the same process used in the earliest “solar” systems I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #778426 21st Jun 2019 5:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ground source will run a normal radiator system if the kit is properly specified. Some years ago, I had a GSHP installed in connection with a 2000sq.m. school building that I'd designed and it happily ran a combination of underfloor and conventional radiators. That was based on three 16-20m vertical bores.

Air source heat pumps are also worth a look, as their efficiency has been increased significantly in the last few years. I have several of these installed at buildings that I'm responsible for and they've proved to be a good compromise between output and upfront costs.

Also, don't overlook solar water heating. It's not as sexy as state of the art batteries or pumps but can deliver impressive efficiencies for a relatively modest outlay. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #778447 21st Jun 2019 8:19pm
OsloBlue

"school buildings that i designed"

Your not one of those meddling architects are you?

By Air source heat pumps are you talking about stirling engines are you? done a couple of them for rather specific clients... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/

Last edited by OsloBlue on 21st Jun 2019 9:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #778450 21st Jun 2019 8:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
No, but I have designed lots of buildings and building works.

An air source heat pump isn't a Stirling engine. They're based on A/C technology, much like GSHP's, but with a different exchanger arrangement. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #778453 21st Jun 2019 8:36pm
Slideywindows

England 
What an interesting thread!

I had PV panels installed in July 2011 and the FIT payments repaid the installation cost a few years ago.

I regard the savings on the electricity I use as being the same as interest earned on the same money on deposit, or better.

The biggest downside is that solar panels deliver huge amounts of electricity at the time of year when I am using the least.

When I really need it, at the darker times of year, the panels deliver negligible amounts.

Would huge battery packs save the energy generated in June, so it could be used in December? (I don't believe so but stand to be corrected).

Very interested in ground/air source systems but have been waiting for the technology to advance even more, and prices to reduce further.

And if they offered a "free Land Rover" with each installation, like they did for these solar panels Whistle it would be a no-brainer! Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Will follow this thread with interest.
Post #778497 22nd Jun 2019 12:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>