↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dual Battery & Split Charge.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Michaelkan

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Dual Battery & Split Charge.
Today I received 2x Odyssey PC1500DT and Gwyn Lewis stainless steel battery tray. Next I would need a split charge system. Is below split charge overkill? Basically I need two battery system, one to start the car. The second battery to run lights, inverter 2000w to charge my bikes, camera and drones and future camping equipment. Also will be adding 150w solar panel onto the roof rack.

Any advice or ideas. Thanks.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...2149130179
Post #753713 24th Jan 2019 8:29pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
yep sure is.

try something similar to: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Durite-0-727-33-1...amp;chn=ps

you can get kits with them too.

i havent looked for the right spec on just googled it and pasted first link for Durite VSR (voltage sensing relay) Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #753714 24th Jan 2019 8:35pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
A decent VSR will suffice until you get the solar panel set up.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...3182880895

This isolates the main battery from the aux system so you never run it flat and allows the current from the alternator to charge the aux battery when the engine is running ( or hits a pre determined Voltage input, usually around 13.4v )

Simple and effective
Post #753718 24th Jan 2019 8:44pm
jocklandjohn

Scotland 1989 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Oslo Blue
Post #754460 28th Jan 2019 12:15pm
jocklandjohn

Scotland 1989 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Oslo Blue

Here's the system and a link to the manufacturer (Britpart branded stuff is made by IBS in Switzerland). http://ibs-tech.ch/en/products/dual-battery-system.html
Post #754461 28th Jan 2019 12:18pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
The IBS type stuff is good, but in my opinion quite an expensive way of going about things. If you're not that worried about the monitoring then a vsr (volt sensing relay) is under £40, and if you really want monitoring I've got several eBay voltmeters that only cost me £3-£4 each!
Post #754463 28th Jan 2019 12:22pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If I was doing my electrical system again I wouldn't bother with a split charge setup.

Pair of batteries with a Victron BMS to monitor them and you've got both more starting power and more camping energy whilst having an overall simpler system.

However, if you do want a split charge system then the Victron Cyrix series are good and not horribly expensive. I usethe 230A one and it's got built in jump starting if you need it.
Post #754505 28th Jan 2019 2:58pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
+1 for the Victron Cyrix. I use one of these on any system I spec.

https://www.es-store.co.uk/product_details...ow_menu=10

Not too expensive but still a brand I trust. It switches if either the cranking battery or the auxilliary bank reach a set voltage so, for instance, if your solar panel manages to pick your auxilliary battery/s up sufficiently it will switch in and start charging the cranking battery too. It's also got an over-ride and a current rating capable of providing cranking power from the auxilliary bank if your cranking battery ever fails.

Arguably you should be using a DCDC to charge an AGM auxiliary battery like an Odyssey as they can take higher charge voltages. I know Redarc now sell their DCDCs/charge controllers in the UK but I'm not sure what their prices are like.
Post #754522 28th Jan 2019 4:19pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Cupboard wrote:
Pair of batteries with a Victron BMS to monitor them and you've got both more starting power and more camping energy whilst having an overall simpler system.

You do have the potential to run both batteries flat though, which is one of the biggest protections offered by even a simple split charge. Personally I'd choose a smaller cranking battery and a large leisure battery with a split charge
Post #754544 28th Jan 2019 7:19pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
JOE_130 wrote:

Arguably you should be using a DCDC to charge an AGM auxiliary battery like an Odyssey as they can take higher charge voltages. I know Redarc now sell their DCDCs/charge controllers in the UK but I'm not sure what their prices are like.

There is absolutely no argument for wasting money on a DC/DC charger for a simple application like the Defender with a dumb alternator and the aux battery next door to the main one. It will cost more and slow down the charge rate. If you have a battery in theback at the end of a cable that isn't big enough, then they make sense - however it's still cheaper to just upgrade the wiring to something better.

No affordable DC/DC chargers on the market can do anything like this amount of current:

Click image to enlarge

That was at the same time as powering my fridge (another 6A or so).

Towards the tail end of the charge, the DC/DC charger will have a slight advantage, but the bulk charge is so vastly quicker without that any minor boost there is far outweighed by the rest of the charge cycle.

Bear in mind that the charging system is not just charging the battery, it's also powering anything else you've got connected to the auxilliary system like a fridge which will reduce any current available for charging the battery. I run my compressor from the aux battery too, though usually with the engine running. That isn't really doable nicely with a DC/DC system.
Post #754741 29th Jan 2019 12:44pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’ve been weighing up fitting a split charge too. One of the biggest downsides of the DC/DC chargers apart from cost is there size and need for cool air. They are huge. If you are trying to do a neat install in the Defender seat box I don’t think there is room, and probably not enough airflow to keep it cool. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #754843 29th Jan 2019 9:00pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
Try the Intervolt DCC Pro, I’ve managed to fit this in the seat box with twin batteries
Post #777645 15th Jun 2019 10:12pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Watching this topic as I’d like to fit a dual battery + solar system. Not seen the Victron stuff before, looks good. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #777735 16th Jun 2019 4:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1