↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > giving up your seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
giving up your seat
just wondering there's a debate going on about a lady giving up her seat on the tube for a child . as a child if we was on public transport my mum would make me move if a old lady or gent got on the bus even if there was seats further back . it how I was taught to respect our elders what is your thoughts Question
Post #776260 5th Jun 2019 11:11am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Context is all! An 80 year old getting up to give a 14 year old a seat is clearly different to a 20 year old giving up a seat for a 4 year old who's Mum is wrestling with a toddler and arms full of shopping.... Laughing
Post #776264 5th Jun 2019 11:47am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I take the tube on a daily basis...

Giving up a seat for a short person makes sense, we have a short employee who simply cannot reach horizontal grab bars, so we have to get her a seat or she has to stand next to a vertical bar.

I always donate my seat to pregnant, disabled or old people, but if you bring a child on the tube during peak times you’re about as thick as concrete.

Every school break we get groups of parents and children who are shocked to see the tube mayhem at 17:15, they get a choice of when to go home, I on the other hand do not. So why did they choose to go home during peak times? Besides it’s cheaper off peak... I feel the same way towards retirees to a certain extent, but it’s very rare to see.

Disabled and pregnant people I have no problem with. But people at Gants Hill tube station seem to have this problem with these people. They think of it as some kind of game to storm the carriage to get what seats there are to the point where they would sprint. Sometimes leaving a pregnant or disabled person who is not so fast without a seat by these giant hill people sit there smugly expecting someone who woke up early to get to a station further down the line to donate their seat.

I do sometimes have this problem; I get on at Liverpool Street which is the terminus for my line, so I usually board the third train to depart in order to guarantee a seat for my hour long journey. Sure as hell the train fills up and someone comes on who could probably do with a seat. Why don’t they get another train and get a guaranteed seat like me, why should I delay my journey to donate my seat only to delay it again.

I’ve seen some brat in her mid 30s demand a seat from someone, didn’t get her way so spat on one person and sat across the laps of three others... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #776282 5th Jun 2019 3:02pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Valid replies from Huttopia and OsloBlue Thumbs Up

I very rarely have to go down into the smoke these days, but I hardly ever sat down on a the tube as it is a nightmare trying to get off your seat and to the door when you reach your station and my size 12 usually got stood on.

Hats off to you people who do that day in day out. I couldn't do it.

Trains I find are very annoying and I would give my seat up if someone as mentioned above needed it more than me. The annoyance for me are the people who take an aisle seat then point blankly refuse to move to let anyone sit on the window seat and those that refuse to use a shower in the morning. Nearly 2 hours of body odour from London to Norwich is not pleasant.
Post #776301 5th Jun 2019 5:37pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Manners cost nothing, but these days they are severely lacking in our world. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #776311 5th Jun 2019 6:10pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Huttopia wrote:
Context is all! An 80 year old getting up to give a 14 year old a seat is clearly different to a 20 year old giving up a seat for a 4 year old who's Mum is wrestling with a toddler and arms full of shopping.... Laughing

Yep.

Quote:

Manners cost nothing, but these days they are severely lacking in our world.

Yep, yep.
Post #776313 5th Jun 2019 6:37pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
When we rarely use the tube with the kids we can't get them to sit they much prefer to surf! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #776324 5th Jun 2019 8:32pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Slightly off topic but we go to London fairly frequently and use the tube quite a lot to get around. What always surprises me are the people running through the tube stations to catch a train when there will be another one in a couple of minutes. perhaps its the pace of life in a big city and where we live its semi rural, anyway I just don't get it, perhaps someone can enlighten me? Smile
Post #776362 6th Jun 2019 9:30am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have noticed that also, defender9.

It also amazes me how they still run for trains that are blantantly pulling out of the station. Maybe they have all been watching that Sky Mobile advert where the train stops and the driver waves for the running commuter to get on???

I’m glad that’s not a world I have to live in.

They need to live where I do. If you miss the bus, the next one will be Wednesday Whistle Now that would be a reason to run.
Post #776363 6th Jun 2019 9:44am
Procta

United Kingdom 
One thing I don't miss was getting on the bus, Similar thing. The way school kids used to go on was unreal! The driver couldn't take anymore on. Told then to get off, they would really set their lip up at him and even hit the EM switch. Then you had people with prams or push chairs trying to get on, Some people wouldn't even move for them at all! I remember one woman losing her loaf at a couple of people for not moving down. I couldn't wait till I got my drivers licence through. I am glad I didn't become a bus driver, I wanted to be one as a kid. But with working for the general public in a supermarket for 13 years, and driving standards, No way could have done the job at all. I did say to the bus driver one time, he got really bad for the kids. I said can you not just change the front to say sorry not in service, when full? he said you know something son, I will mention that to the bosses. Then a few days later, I saw the bus company do exactly that. Not sure if they still do that now, as the bus service I used back then no longer runs. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #777128 11th Jun 2019 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1