Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Here's some interesting bits about solar panels on this site;

http://fuddymuckers.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=alfie:solar
Post #770131 25th Apr 2019 9:22pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
thanks some interesting items.

The green box stuff, I can back most of that like my amo box but neat stuff Smile

I'm thinking probably either a suitcase solar panel around 100w and the controller then wired to a leisure battery (85amp one as smaller)

I can them use a inverter for more options / plugs / usb etc.

My other idea....

Panel fitted to top of roof box.

Wired down through box, along roof rack and then a small cable into car with a push in connection. maybe though the side window (don't want to drill)

This could then power stuff in the car even while driving, the fridge, usb bits?

Again store extra power into a leisure battery in boot .

Thumbs Up

Will keep thinking
Post #770184 26th Apr 2019 10:48am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Can you clarify if you're wanting to have a solar panel that will charge a leisure battery on it's own?

If you are, then you'll end up with a flat battery fairly quickly if you're planning to plug in a fridge or anything that draws medium amounts of power.

Solar panels help in keeping batteries topped up but can not keep up with the draw from a fridge.

A 120w panel will provide 12w of power to a battery per hour in perfect conditions during sunlight ( 10-12 hours a day atm)

An expensive compressor 12v fridge uses around 40w per hour...cheaper firdges will use alot more.

A simple VSR and secondary leisure battery will serve you much better than a solar panel as well be cheaper to do and be a fit and forget set up.
Post #770244 26th Apr 2019 5:18pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Look very carefully at the power consumption of the leisure items that will be plugged in.

The ARB 47 litre fridge has an average current of 0.89 amps/hr. So in round figures that is 24 amp/hr per day.. So a 100 amp hour battery will last in theory about 4 days.

So assuming 10 hours a day power output from a solar panel to power that fridge you would require a current output of 2.4 volts at 12 volts or a 30 watt panel panel working at 100% efficiency. A 60 watt panel and a decent storage battery will readily power a decent compressor fridge such as an ARB 47 litre fridge

Now a Pelter type cool box is much more power hungry up to 10 amps/hr. Or about 240 amp/hr per day. So our 10 hour solar panel with storage battery would need to be at least a 300 watt panel. Then we would need to add some more as a safety factor.

So moral of the story consider carefully the power consumption of the items to be powered by the solar panel/storage battery combination

Brendan
Post #770321 26th Apr 2019 10:05pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Badger110 and Brendan

Thanks for help. My idea was to have a leisure battery charged up before we go camping, an 85 or 110 amp?

Then use a 100w or 120w solar suitcase panel to keep this topped up.

Hopefully then use this to charge up mobiles / watches and if possble keep a fridge cold (its not a fancy one) it runs off 12v or mains.

Would this work?

We will be in Devon / Cornwall over August so hopefully plenty of sun.

Will I need more power?
Post #770394 27th Apr 2019 5:20pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Mobiles and phones will have very small battery capacity so no real impact on storage battery.

What fridge are you running.? Pelter/absorption type or a proper compressor fridge. Have a look at either instruction manual or specification plate on fridge for the current or power rating as that is the main bit of information required.

Brendan
Post #770401 27th Apr 2019 6:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Our fridge is not fancy its this... runs off 12v or mains

https://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/outwell-e...x-12v-230v

All I can see is it says power consumption 24w although there is an eco button? I cannot find any other information.

Would a 100w / 120w panel and leisure battery keep this going? along with charging phones etc?

Thanks

Scott
Post #770406 27th Apr 2019 6:46pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Reading the Des ription it sounds like a Pelter fridge.

24 watts is 2 amps at 12 volts. So a 100 amp hour battery will keep it going for a maximum of 50 hours in theory.

A 120 watt solar panel with a 100 amp hour battery should be more then adequate for your purpose..

HTH

Brendan
Post #770441 27th Apr 2019 9:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Update on this....

I have the folding solar panel and a 110v leisure battery, In order to easily charge the fridge, and usb devices (watches, ipad, phones) I will need an inverter attached to leisure battery.

Questions...

Can I leave the inverter attached to the leisure battery all the time? as I'm thinking I will place both together in a sort of movable box (with air vents)

I understand a Pure Sin Wave inverter is best, but what wattages as the price varies greatly?

what I would like is something like this... this isn't pure sin wave> does it matter... For powering a fridge and my other devices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073S5V5WT/?co..._lig_dp_it

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #776031 3rd Jun 2019 10:44am
Greadh

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Hi Scott.

For those small items your best off cutting out the inverter. Just get some USB sockets and/12v sockets - inverter will just add power loss (heat, sound etc) and additional cost. Try and use an inverter where there is no other way than to obtain the needed voltage. USB is 5v, using an inverter you wil go from 12v up to 240v and the reduce back down to 5v using the phone charger.

Also, dependant on the type of leisure battery you don't want to run it past half depleted. So 110ah, only calculate using 55ah - better for battery life expectancy. Newer battery technology deals better with being depleted more.

Cheers
Post #776039 3rd Jun 2019 11:45am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hi Greadh

Good to hear from you Smile

I have a camping fridge to plug in also though Very Happy

The solar panel unit I have changed the controller to have two USB chargers that will charge directly from the solar panel and not the battery. That should help keep phones and stuff topped up.

As regard the fridge I guess an inverter is the only way? unless I use a cigarette lighter to battery, and then plug the fridge into this.

Thanks

Scott
Post #776052 3rd Jun 2019 1:39pm
Greadh

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
If the fridge has an option for 12v input it would be best to use that (in my opinion) if you're going to build a stand alone battery box, maybe add a small fuse board and then attach a range of connectors off that? or just a standard 12v cigarette socket (with an inline fuse) for the fridge? an inverter will always be useful mind.

Charging phones and watches etc. will be minimal on a 110ah battery, so may as well have the ability to charge them without the solar setup.

Cheers
gareth
Post #776055 3rd Jun 2019 2:08pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
We have a Glamping business in Cornwall and they’re all off grid . We’ve tried several different solar power systems . At the moment we have some of the Goal Zero Yeti 150’s which have been absolutely superb for what our guests need, which is to charge their mobiles and for some LED lighting (chain of three). They’ve never had to be topped up from the mains in three years of almost continuous use .
On the farm I also have a Yeti 400 with the twin DC plugs. It’s also been great , I run a small angle grinder off it for cutting jobs in the fields and machinery , again it’s never been charged from the mains , only solar

They’re well made and highly portable , I’d recommend them ! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #776117 3rd Jun 2019 9:24pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hi Bluericky

I'm in Devon & Cornwall for summer but could not get any pitches with electric hence going for a solar set up Smile
Post #776137 4th Jun 2019 8:30am
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green

Click image to enlarge

I'm using 2 x 120w panels, remember that you will never get the panel to work at full power. Solar panels are designed to work at certain temperatures and face the sun directly (also assuming there is bright sunlight) so you would have to move them constantly. Also use an Mppt charger as these are more efficient. I'm using an Australian made Intervolt DCC Pro and run a fridge, water pump, charge phones etc with no problem. Recently been away and even on an overcast day I'm getting around 40w of power so I'm able to keep the auxiliary battery full

Click image to enlarge

Quoted current draw in my opinion is not realistic, the fridge is full with chilled material not opened and in 26c outside temps, your car is likely to be higher temperatures than that in the sunshine, opening,not being full and unchilled items will have a massive impact on the working cycle of the fridge
Post #776800 9th Jun 2019 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>