↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Another promo video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
devnull

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
markb110 wrote:
When you look at the recent marketing, I mean Africa 'testing' videos then compare them to the Defenders on the early Camel Trophy videos then all you can do is weep Big Cry

Just compare it to Jimny that sold out without a single add. They will give lectures on that case, how company can fail on understanding the 'heritage'.
Post #776479 7th Jun 2019 10:36am
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black

Yet another one. Bit of a re-edited one more than anything
Post #776521 7th Jun 2019 3:52pm
Pedro924

United Kingdom 
quote] Just compare it to Jimny that sold out without a single add.[/quote]

If there had been an ad, I bet it would not have mentioned the new Jimny's 3 star NCAP rating that, according to Top Gear, 'doesn’t hold up against a Fiat Panda 4x4 – it’s more on a par with the three-star Dacia Duster'. Rolling with laughter
Post #776524 7th Jun 2019 4:10pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Towing huge loads Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #776531 7th Jun 2019 4:56pm
v8bobber

^ that’s an interesting photo, in that you can really see the difference in the wheel / tyre size compared to what looks like Defender rims and tyres on the trailer.
Post #776549 7th Jun 2019 6:13pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
I thought they come up as 32's. So overall size is not too bad, but rim size is another topic. m
Post #776620 8th Jun 2019 4:38am
v8bobber

It makes sense that they go with a larger rim and a lower profile tyre and all the benefits that go with that.

The further you go up with rim size the narrower the choice of tyres and that was one of the reasons I bought my D4 with 19” rims. If you believe what has been written about there being a fair few variants of the new Defender then I am hoping that you will be able to buy a bigger rim / lower profile tyre if your intention is everyday use (and lets face it most of them aren’t going to go off tarmac) and you can buy a smaller rim / higher profile for off road work. From the photos it seems that the brake disc size is small enough to allow smaller rims.

Similar in principle to these 18s you can get for the D4

Click image to enlarge
Post #776665 8th Jun 2019 9:41am
SN

Very similar look, I think now we know perhaps why the D5 looks like it does, because the new defender line needed the boxey shape from the D3/D4...

Click image to enlarge

Footnote: LR are still obviously hiding something around the C Pillar and rear windows... I think it will be similar to the D3/D4 but without the faux raised window into the roof line.... or I may be completely wrong of course Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #777166 11th Jun 2019 10:45pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Friend of mine is one of the drivers in the video, also part of development team. Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #777301 12th Jun 2019 10:00pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
What does he think of it? (After he's taken his JLR hat off!) 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #777308 13th Jun 2019 6:41am
CFB

United Kingdom 
I am really baffled by the negativity being shown towards this new Defender by some of you. It has to move forward, the old car is dead and didn't sell enough to make it viable, get over it. These endless comments about it not being tough enough, the photos being staged (it's called marketing!) or not having the right size wheels are becoming really, really tedious now. The D5 is awful, I admit and went in the wrong direction but this looks like a Land Rover and is being tested as a Land Rover should, so get behind the brand, reserve your judgement until you actually see one and drive one.

To me this looks like the perfect balance of being rugged enough for utility and off road use whilst also driving and handling well on the tarmac. I think JLR look to have got this one spot on and I am very excited to get my hands on one. Andy
Post #777310 13th Jun 2019 7:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Totally agree with everything you have said there Andy, we need to give it a chance and judge it against it's rivals and not against a 70 year old icon which it is not competing with. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #777312 13th Jun 2019 7:53am
v8bobber

CFB wrote:
I am really baffled by the negativity being shown towards this new Defender by some of you. It has to move forward, the old car is dead and didn't sell enough to make it viable, get over it. These endless comments about it not being tough enough, the photos being staged (it's called marketing!) or not having the right size wheels are becoming really, really tedious now. The D5 is awful, I admit and went in the wrong direction but this looks like a Land Rover and is being tested as a Land Rover should, so get behind the brand, reserve your judgement until you actually see one and drive one.

To me this looks like the perfect balance of being rugged enough for utility and off road use whilst also driving and handling well on the tarmac. I think JLR look to have got this one spot on and I am very excited to get my hands on one.

If you’re referring to my above post about the size of the wheels then you’ve taken it out of context. I agree with you that the Defender needs to move on to survive and thrive and stuff like having bigger rims with lower profile tyres for better handling is a good thing. This a Defender forum and things like that are going to get discussed aren’t they? Each to their own. Personally I can’t understand why people are getting build slots when we don’t know what it looks like, what it’s like to drive, or how much it is, but then everyone looks at things differently. I also agree that knocking the new one because it’s not like the old one is pointless, they’re completely different vehicles.

I’m hoping it’ll be a brilliant vehicle, and sure it will be but all we have at the minute is supposition. Hopefully won’t be too much longer till we get to see it and drive it
Post #777320 13th Jun 2019 8:56am
CFB

United Kingdom 
On the contrary, your point about wheels was spot on, it was more those moaning about bigger rims being shown!

In terms of a build slot, it’s a no commitment fully refundable deposit that gives you a place in the queues. Once the car is revealed fully I can then choose to place a firm order or cancel Thumbs Up Andy
Post #777326 13th Jun 2019 9:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
adafish wrote:
Friend of mine is one of the drivers in the video, also part of development team.

What can it do that a D5 or RRS cannot?
Post #777328 13th Jun 2019 9:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>