↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Ireland ferry crossings - pros and cons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Ireland ferry crossings - pros and cons
Hi folks,
planning an Ireland trip, likely June this year from Cambridge, likely stopover in the Peaks to drop dogs off with the outlaws, then on to get a ferry to Ireland, destination flexible.
There will be me, the wife, 2 kids, camping gear and bikes in our 110.
Wondering whether to get the ferry from Liverpool (shorter drive from the outlaws) or from Holyhead, maybe enjoying the drive through North Wales on the way.
Does anyone have experience of either / both and the pros and cons?
Cheers,
Matt

Click image to enlarge
Post #773321 16th May 2019 6:50am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I've done 20+ crossings using those routes to Dublin over the last couple of years. There are more sailings from Holyhead and it's a 4-hour journey rather than 8 ish hours through Liverpool. That said if you book the truckers ferry out of Liverpool you can get a cabin on the boat and some time for a snooze, there's often a meal included as well but these ferries book up quick. The drive through Wales is pretty, my route normally goes through the Snowdonia National Park Thumbs Up

Direct Ferries are normally good to see all the timings and prices in one place, then book direct with the line to save a bit of cash. Likewise sailing at antisocial times are a lot cheaper than say a 10am departure. Adding 50cm to the Defender height to account for the roofrack and 1 metre to the back for the bike rack has never seemed to influence the price. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #773324 16th May 2019 7:21am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
We did an Ireland trip a few years ago visiting friends in Waterford. We went Fishguard to Rosslare, drove up through Ireland then back Dublin to Holyhead. The drive back to Suffolk through North Wales was beautiful, I was the only one that enjoyed it though as everyone else slept!

We were advised not to book the fast ferries as they are more frenquently cancelled due to bad weather. The kids love a ferry journey so going the slow way was fun. We also upgraded to "members" or something which gave express loading (not really worth it) but did give free drinks and nibbles in a nice lounge area.

A couple of LR related photos

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #773351 16th May 2019 10:31am
Mariner

Ireland 
There are four ferry arrivals in Dublin every morning between 0500 and 0600 approx. Two from Liverpool (P&O and Seatruck) and two from Holyhead (Stena and Irish Ferries). The four ferries discharging around the same time can lead to tailbacks exiting the port but it usually clears by 07.15 - 07.30.

An alternative if it suits could be the Seatruck from Heysham to Dublin. Departs 02.00 arrives 10.00 when there is less traffic and the general city rush hour has calmed down.

If I can be of any assistance from this side just let me know. I work in the Port and have previously been in and around Sutton Bridge and Wisbech over in your neck of the woods Very Happy
Post #773367 16th May 2019 2:06pm
Wildrover66

Ireland 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Orkney Grey
Matt

I cross from Dublin the other way about 4 times a year and as mentioned the slow ferry and an upgrade seems to be the most enjoyable way to do it. If the seas a bit rough better upfront for those with out sea legs.
I cross Dublin Holy head return and it is by far the most frequent and viable unless coming or going to Scotland.
Not sure it is still available but worth checking is Tesco vouchers convert at 3 or 4 times there value when booking.
If you choose to arrive in Dublin it gives easy access to the rest of Ireland and a few campsites with in an hour of the city.
Post #773378 16th May 2019 4:14pm
mobilesawmiller

United Kingdom 
Head for Donegal - God's own County. Great off roading, Guinness out of this world and the people are the best. Any idea of dates in June when you will be over?

Click image to enlarge
Post #773387 16th May 2019 5:01pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have been a few times - last time in the Defender and got one of the slow boats to Dublin. Sadly the Stena fast ferry that used to run to Dun Laoghaire is no longer in service - as that would have avoided Dublin. You can still get the Irish Ferries fast ferry, but the crossings seem less frequent.

I love the west coast of Ireland and its really easy to get to now as there is a motorway right across the country - although parts of it have tolls, its only a couple of hours drive, and once of the west coast, the scenery is stunning!

This is my series one in Roundstone Harbour where Monty Hall had a TV show featuring him running around in a 110.

Click image to enlarge
 Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #773401 16th May 2019 6:51pm
mobilesawmiller

United Kingdom 
Love the Series 1 - A beauty!
Post #773485 17th May 2019 6:15am
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Wo, thanks for the cracking tips everybody, there’s no way I’d have got all this from tinter-web.
Planning for week of week of 17th June, now leaning towards Holyhead - Dublin but will most definitely be hitting the west coast and hopefully as far up as Donegal. There are a few threads on places to go, things to do, where to stay on here, such a fantastic source of knowledge and experience!
Although think you’d struggle not have a great time in Ireland, we popped over for a wedding, stayed in a random B&B and the owners had the accordion, guitar and whiskey out before we’d opened the suitcase!
Cheers guys.
Post #773625 17th May 2019 7:26pm
Rkcorry

The night time sailing out of Liverpool might be an idea, You can take a cabin, have a nights rest and arrive ready for the day ahead.
The Belfast/Birkenhead boat being the route of choice for my travel, the reverse mind, Very convenient for making the most of your time for the day of departure, with some decent sites to visit, across the north coast and along the Wild Atlantic way.
Post #774477 22nd May 2019 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1