↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > which tour company? Morocco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
which tour company? Morocco
Right I've put this off for far too long for one reason or another and time is passing by pretty quick, and, I'm not getting any younger!

I am after advice on an organised trip to Morocco, been planning this in my head for years and back then when i first met one of the companies in a wigwam at billing show i was hooked and there were only a very small handful if companys doing so.

So I'm looking for a tour guide, who have you been with and why, good and bad points Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #772984 13th May 2019 7:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have just come back from a trip led by Kudu Overland - https://www.kuduoverland.co.uk/ . I first met up with them at the Adventure Overland show last year, and pretty much decided to go with them, without really doing any research into any other companies. They just 'felt right' Basically it is just Philip Hummel and his wife Karen. Philip spends a great deal of time researching routes and is a great guide. He only takes small groups - max of 6, and all are equipped with radios. There was plenty of driving, and some early starts and late finishes, but you certainly get your moneys worth - in fact, I am not sure that Philip makes much money from it as his prices include ferries from the UK as well.

Like you, I wanted to do it before I got too decrepit, and thoroughly enjoyed my trip! Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #773150 14th May 2019 7:06pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I went with Protrax and am doing again. Charles and Yvonne who guide the trips are brilliant too. The only downside is the groups are a bit larger, but still single figures, maybe ten max including the guide. There is a lot of distance on unsealed roads and off road which is what I loved, but it leads to long days and some found it a bit tiring I think. Depends what you want. You can PM me if you want any info. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #773152 14th May 2019 7:23pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Some of the driving days we did were pretty long too - and we covered about 2000 miles in Morocco alone so lots of driving - for example, on the way there we left Tarifa in Spain at 06:00 and rocked up at the campsite in Morocco at 20:00!

I have added a video of our trip here - the terrain was quite extreme at times....

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic67553.html Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #773161 14th May 2019 8:19pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks guys, awesome video strang!

The long days put me off a bit especially 6.00 to 20.00 hours, my son is 11 and that amount may put him off for life!
We are going to take a few days to drive down to Gibraltar and have a few stops for sightseeing, well that’s the plan 😁

Bluest....questions inbound!!

I don’t mind the odd long day but also wouldn't want to be rushed with setting up camp and packing away etc my job is stressful and fast paced enough, I’m one of those types who wants to pack away neatly and not thrown in because we have to leave in 10 mins!

So how do you manage with the camping, at sites every night? With showers? If wild camping do you shower?
Breakfast, dinner and lunch is it down to you to sort or the guide and group cook a meal for all? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #773191 14th May 2019 9:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The thing is that people going on these journeys, me included expect to be driving off road, that inevitably slows the pace over what are some pretty big distances, hence the long days. The routes could take in more Highway, but you’d lose that sense of adventure in my view. The scenery is spectacular and the perceived remoteness just makes it better. Evenings are not rushed as even with Late-ish arrival there’s not much more to do than throw the tent up, eat and swig a few beers before bed. There were no wild camps on our last trip as the weather was blowing and sand storms were kicking up a bit, we will hopefully get a couple of nights next time. Either way a lot of the camping is very basic in most regards. Hot shower not guaranteed. At most sites there was a choice to sort your own food, or be hosted by the owner who would rustle up a basic Tagine for not much money.

The morning starts were often a bit of a race to get ready for us, but you soon get into a routine and learn to not get too much gear out. Usually want to be on the road between 7 and 9 depending on the day ahead. You’d struggle to lie in through call to prayer anyway! Brew and lunch breaks during the day tended to be fairly swift affairs too, but again some days were more rushed than others. A Jetboil would be handy.

All that driving is offset by all the amazing stuff you see though. You’ll have memories to last a lifetime and you’ll be boring your friends with tales for months afterwards Laughing 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #773201 14th May 2019 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1