↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Disco transfer box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Disco transfer box
I picked up my 300tdi pick up at the weekend after having an exchange transfer box with Disco ratios fitted. I’d had one on my previous Defender years ago and really liked the way it drove so when this one played up it was time for change. Initial impressions are good, it is more civilised to drive. I haven’t towed anything yet so that will a good test. It is funny how you get so accustomed to making gear changes at the same points on regular journeys- I’m now relearning all of that! GPS speedo readings indicate the speedo isn’t far off at all, even with 7.50s on.
Post #772951 13th May 2019 3:01pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
There is no reason why the Speedo reading should be out.
What I found with a disco transfer ratio was that the truck sometimes struggled with steeper hills and ran out of puff much above 75 oh and it used even more petrol. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #772963 13th May 2019 5:24pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
The speedo will be out. Unless you took the landy speedo drive out of your last one and fitted it in this, as the disco speedo is calibrated for their smaller wheel and tyres 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #772967 13th May 2019 6:08pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
It goes quite well. Not sure about running out of puff at 75, never been that speed in the pick up. My hearing is bad enough already!
Post #772969 13th May 2019 6:14pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Re: Disco transfer box
Huttopia wrote:
I picked up my 300tdi pick up at the weekend after having an exchange transfer box with Disco ratios fitted. I’d had one on my previous Defender years ago and really liked the way it drove so when this one played up it was time for change. Initial impressions are good, it is more civilised to drive. I haven’t towed anything yet so that will a good test. It is funny how you get so accustomed to making gear changes at the same points on regular journeys- I’m now relearning all of that! GPS speedo readings indicate the speedo isn’t far off at all, even with 7.50s on.

interesting was thinking of doing the same , let me know if you can how the next few days go .
is it a good idea or not?
Post #772970 13th May 2019 6:16pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
gazman wrote:
The speedo will be out. Unless you took the landy speedo drive out of your last one and fitted it in this, as the disco speedo is calibrated for their smaller wheel and tyres

Given that disco transfer box has an electronic sender unit, there is no real option other than to fit the Defender. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #772983 13th May 2019 6:50pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
To be honest I don’t know if the box is a Disco box or a Defender box made up with Disco ratios. I think it is the latter as it took the supplier a week or two to make one up, they don’t have them on the shelf as there isn’t the demand.
Post #772997 13th May 2019 7:20pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
oneten110 wrote:
gazman wrote:
The speedo will be out. Unless you took the landy speedo drive out of your last one and fitted it in this, as the disco speedo is calibrated for their smaller wheel and tyres

Given that disco transfer box has an electronic sender unit, there is no real option other than to fit the Defender.

Disco 2 takes speed from OSF wheel hub not the transfer box so it is very probably a rebuilt Defender box.
Post #772998 13th May 2019 7:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
No reason why speedo drives and electronic transducers can't be swapped onto a disco transfer box.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #773016 13th May 2019 8:25pm
tolley

more the ratios and how it works along side the 300tdi .
Post #773037 13th May 2019 8:51pm
tolley

Post #773038 13th May 2019 8:51pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Huttopia wrote:
It goes quite well. Not sure about running out of puff at 75, never been that speed in the pick up. My hearing is bad enough already!

My TD5 has the disco box in and that just pulls for fun, but its had a mild tune too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #773064 14th May 2019 5:00am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Tolley was keen to know how the transfer box swap went.......well a few months and about 1k miles after swapping it out and I'm very pleased with it. It sits more happily at 65-70 than before, which is no great surprise. I've used low range once or twice and no difference. You notice the difference on familiar hills, when once third would have done you need to drop to second, or give it more beans on the run in. So all in all very happy with the change. It will be pressed into service in a few weeks to go to Devon with the SeaSearch in the back, which reminds me......I must sort out the stereo Laughing
Post #786506 12th Aug 2019 7:26pm
Litch

England 
I ran my 300TDi 90 on 265/75x16,s and a Disco Xfer-box and it suited the vehicle perfectly, in over 12-years I never came across a situation where the vehicle felt overgeared.
When I converted to auto I retained the Disco Xfer-box but with the higher final drive ratio of the auto it was just too high so I went back to standard. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #786523 12th Aug 2019 8:53pm
tolley

Huttopia wrote:
Tolley was keen to know how the transfer box swap went.......well a few months and about 1k miles after swapping it out and I'm very pleased with it. It sits more happily at 65-70 than before, which is no great surprise. I've used low range once or twice and no difference. You notice the difference on familiar hills, when once third would have done you need to drop to second, or give it more beans on the run in. So all in all very happy with the change. It will be pressed into service in a few weeks to go to Devon with the SeaSearch in the back, which reminds me......I must sort out the stereo Laughing

many thanks I think I will do the same Thumbs Up
Post #792889 13th Sep 2019 7:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1