↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Expedition advice on set up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Expedition advice on set up
Viewing a recent video which was put up by a fellow user šŸ‘ itā€™s fired up my longing to go on a Morocco expedition šŸ˜

So lots of questions to follow! Iā€™m lucky enough not to be on a tight budget but also need to be realistic.
Iā€™ve got the defender 110 utility and is in great condition mechanically, obviously it will be fully serviced and have a good go thorough with all new fluids and bearings etc.

Looking at the set up, what have you got and how does it all work? Iā€™m looking into how best to have everything set out for hassle free camping for around a month. I only need the two front seats (me and my son) I have an MT45 fridge and a dog guard to keep the heavy stuff back in case of a mishap!

I have an RV4 which I love but would a roof tent be a better option? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #772321 9th May 2019 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
My view is keep it simple, and donā€™t take unnecessary crap. You donā€™t want to be loading and unloading the contents of the car every night. Iā€™ve been there, done that! Im making a conscious effort to go back to basics for this yearā€™s trips. A fridge would be a good thing if you are camping, but everything else is personal preference really. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #772330 9th May 2019 5:24pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Planning & preparation is key.

We live in a world where we feel we need everything to survive, itā€™s simply not true.

Cover your basics, where youā€™ll sleep, water storage for warmer climates and food. The rest is simple clothing covering both eventualities ( hot countries get cold at night )

Carry a few spares for the truck, but you will find somewhere thatā€™ll be able to cover repairs wherever you go.

Extra fuel is not needed in this day and age unless you want to cross Mongolia or northern areas of Russia.

I honestly think a fridge is a waste of space and power and a luxury and not a necessity but if it floats your boat, then take one.

You can be either a VW T5 / defender kitted out adventurer and require everything to make your life comfortable kind of traveller, or the sort that goes travelling for the thrill of it.

The amount of gear you take depends on you being comfortable Very Happy
Post #772333 9th May 2019 5:41pm
Peregrine_White

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
One thing I would recommend looking into is the 110 sleep shelf system Paranoid Industries do. Essentially it will allow you to set up a mattress and sleep in the back of your utility. Firstly its more inconspicuous than a roof tent and secondly takes less time to set up. It will be less spacious and luxurious than a roof top tent.

Also if you are running a fridge I would look into getting a full double battery set up so you don't worry about running the battery flat.

Invest in a good set or tires if you don't already have any as well.
Post #772359 9th May 2019 7:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
To be honest there is no one simple answer to your question Dawes.

Now Morocco has many different terrains and it depends if your trip will be done as a solo vehicle, as a small group of friends or as part of an organised led group. Stay in hotels or disappear into the desert for a couple of weeks being self reliant

In any of the travel situations then a well maintained vehicle with good quality/condition tyres is essential.

Going solo into the more remote area than you will need to be more self reliant for possible recovery situations. In that case you may well need to be winch equipped. Travelling in a guided group only good recovery points a decent recovery strap and shackles are required.

Fuel, how much do you need? Again depends on your actual planned itinerary. Golden rule is that you have enough fuel on board to get not to the next fuel stop but the one after that. Just in case first fuel stop is closed/out of fuel. Soft sand can really decrease the mpg figures. That would decide how much fuel is carried on board. Can get up to 330 litres of fuel in tanks in a 110.

Protection and load securing. Cargo barrier is important and only soft items in the passenger side. When things go wrong they go wrong fast and there is no time to fasten that heavy item down before it becomes a lethal missile

Remember any idiot can be uncomfortable!

Consider carefully the items you take. If you lose/damage an item what are the potential possible lethal consequences? Lose the wheel brace and can not change a wheel you are possibly in big trouble.

How to prep a vehicle and its occupants is an extremely large area and depends where and how you plan to travel.

Brendan
Post #772373 9th May 2019 8:09pm
bear100

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up lots of food for thought.

The 110 will be gone over with a fine toothbrush for sure

I'm looking into an organised trip to start with, safety in numbers and all that, then when I'm confident with Morocco solo trips will be on the horizon. Ive got it in my head that travelling from the UK through France and Spain to Gibraltar will be safer but once in Tangier and onwards the unknown is a little unsettling not for me but the safety of my son.
So yes an organised first step but will soon be solo trips.

90% of the time will be camping, wild and sites, certainly through France and Spain. pros and cons of roof tent and ground tent? as mentioned i have an RV4 but it is big and bulky to handle I've got an ozpod to keep it in but are roof tents preferred? I've thought about the sleep shelf but being 19st and 6ft with big shoulders i wouldn't feel comfortable.

i agree with fuel no need for gerry cans and added weight, leave the crap at home (award for me I'm one of those i must have it types!!!) the fridge yes its going to be a pain with power, room accessibility etc but i think its worth the effort for a cold beer and some treats for lunch and dinner.

Essentially I'm after advice on what has worked for you in terms of ease of use, camp kitchen, sleeping, travelling, storage, lighting, shelter etc.

Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #772495 10th May 2019 4:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
With a well organised trip to Morocco the guide should insist you fuel up in the evening. 10 litre jerry can? Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on potential daily max mileage in Morocco.

Recovery? No need for winch etc. Good recovery points and basic recovery gear.

Underbody protection? Steering guard and diff protection for the dry river bed runs.

Camping? Just be careful wild camping in France/Spain in dry/hot seasons as restrictions can be in place.

A decent ground tent maybe better in adverse conditions, can be position to get more useful space in conjunction with an awning.

Fridge? Avoid the peltier type fridges, get a decent compressor fridge. Now just overnight stops a good compressor fridge and a decent battery in good condition will be fine so with care no need for a two battery setup. However backup is good jump leads and Anderson connector.

Decent LED torches and rear lights for evening time.

Spares, make good friends with your local parts manager. Check your guide is familiar with local garages. Also check what other vehicles are going as might be able to share spares.

Cooking? Coleman stoves are good running on petrol. Be careful of gas stoves as getting hold of specific gas canisters may not always be easy.

Storage? All boxes/bags clearly labelled with contents. Any spares can be buried under other gear. The brewing/snack kit needs to be readily available.

HTH

Brendan
Post #772542 10th May 2019 8:02pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
When we out there camping on rocks wasnt always great. Rv4 would prob go on the roof to travel? So may as well add a rack and roof tent it? Means layby unplanned stops have better sleeping options.

Fuel wise, I always work on having greater range than majority of the group I am in, then you know you won t be worrying first. I have a side tank on my 110 and it works a treat. No cans.

Split charge if your not driving everyday to keep fridge going but reality is if your on the road each day or three you won t need a split charge.

Take a compressor, shovel, tow rope and soft shackles. Spares I wouldn't bother with. Halfords tool kit with shadow board is no bad idea. 150ish piece.

Contact people you are travelling with to avoid kit replication in close group.

Sleeping bag.even if you have a do it tent. You never know.

Pack in see through boxes , really useful boxes are good and work well for me. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #772549 10th May 2019 9:23pm
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Have done Morocco twice now & loved it, we mainly travel solo but did Morocco with friends as we were well off the beaten track & if something went wrong solo itā€™s a safer bet. Fuel is everywhere just keep an eye on mileage & what you expect to do. Fridege freezer is our luxury item, load up at Aldi before you cross on the ferry & jobs a good one ( take enough alcohol for your stay!) A well maintained truck will be fine but depending how hard your going is it might need some tlc over there ( we destroyed the trailing arm bushes) Ā£60.00 to replace there. I carry a Halfords 170pc socket set / Arb recovery pack ( Warn 9500 up front) / Arb compressor / tyre strings / service kit & a few spares ( 2 air filters as they donā€™t last long with the dust) We run a rtt & Ostrich wing with primus tupike stove 907 canister which lasts weeks ( have a Coleman petrol but my wife hates it after nearly cremating the 110) good led head torch & normal torch.
If you do run solo & want local garages just incase drop me a pm ( have all thier stickers on one of the boxes)
Post #772596 11th May 2019 8:30am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
Clever storage to make life as comfortable as possible.
I remember my first big trip. I thought I had everything sussed out. I had got these plastic crates and organised everything to a T.
First stop to make a cuppa and a sandwich I realised I had to pull out 3 big crates to get to all I needed! Yikes!

So figure out how to get to the stuff you need on a regular basis. If you are stopping for a bite to eat you shouldn't have to rummage around boxes and stuff, everything you need should be readily accessible.

Next thing, along the same, is a water pump. You don't need to fit a "proper" water tank or anything, I use nato water jerry cans myself. But having an onboard water pump is great. Leave the jerry can out in the sun for a while and you have a hot shower for instance.

Lights in the back of the load space and over the tailgate. You don't want to have to faff about with flashlights. Install LED lights so you can see what you're doing with the press of a button. Down in morocco it will get very dark very quickly in the evening.

Don't bother with camping or hiking pans and utensils. They are just expensive and a bit Censored . But regular household ones from a pound shop. Way better.
I swear by Coleman Dual-fuel stoves. I have the 'standard' 2 ring burner and also a fetherlite for the quick stops. After starting to use these I will never go back to gas again. I run them on Aspen 4 which is a cleaner type of artificial petrol. It's a nicer fuel to work with, no smell or sticky residue.
Post #772609 11th May 2019 10:46am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
One of the best things we did was to have a separate brew kit in it own bag with everything you need make two cups if tea for two people. Two mugs, small kettle and burner, milk, sugar and tea bags.

Whether it's a impromptu roadside stop, arguing over which way the awning should face, bandits, fire or you roll the car swerving to avoid a camel train, as long as you can grab the brew kit and crawl out of the wreckage all will be well. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #772615 11th May 2019 12:41pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have just come back from a trip to Morocco - I went with Kudo Overland (who were very good - max 6 vehicles) www.kuduoverland.co.uk

Anyway, we had a Wizz 24 tent (similar to Oztent) and a cheapo (Ā£20 quid) 'festival tent' from Go Outdoors (which although I have too many tents is always a favourit). Everyone else in the group had roof tents, and we were always on the move, so tent packing time was at a premium, so we used the cheapo festival tent all the time - not what it was designed for by any means, but its was quick to put up and down.

I also had a Colman petrol stove, and a cast iron gas ring and bottle - too heavy I know, but I like 'old school'. Anyway (as an avid tea drinker) I really missed out at brew stops, as everyone else had Jet Boil or similar devices, and by the time my water had boiled, they were packing up!

Click image to enlarge
 Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #772820 12th May 2019 6:24pm
bear100

Lots of advice, thanks Thumbs Up

Most of the questions just need a common sense approach i know...... but if we didn't ask question and engage in conversations this site would soon be like a library book!

I am getting really excited by the whole thing, from working on the defender to get it ready to planning, packing listening to stories and watching videos.....im hooked Very Happy 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #772982 13th May 2019 6:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1