↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Morocco and back video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Great vid, thanks for sharing. How long did the trip take?
Post #772179 8th May 2019 7:12pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks for posting. Whetted my appetite for our return later in the year. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #772189 8th May 2019 7:55pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Great Vid - thanks for sharing

I'm thinking of something similar in 2021, maybe by motorbike. Been watching the footage of "Teapotone" on his Morocco trip by BMW GS.

Here if you are interested:  Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #772223 9th May 2019 6:42am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Cheshire110 wrote:
Well I had to go rather quickly to fit in so much into a 10-minute trip!

good point Thumbs Up

looks like you had a great time. most envious.
what sort of miles did you cover in total?
did you feel safe out there?
is the vid a good representation of the extent / extreme of off roading you participated in?

on the on road / M'ways it looks like you were crusing at about 180mph however I'm it was less - what sort of speed did you do and how long were you away for and was it a bit of a rush?
Post #772227 9th May 2019 7:00am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
MartinK wrote:
Great Vid - thanks for sharing

I'm thinking of something similar in 2021, maybe by motorbike. Been watching the footage of "Teapotone" on his Morocco trip by BMW GS.

Here if you are interested:

Have you seen Harry Metcalfe's video of riding his Dakar replica bikes in Morocco. He cheated a bit and had them taken down there in a van, but it is still a good watch. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #772264 9th May 2019 11:45am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Nice vid! I went in March/April this year and loved it. Driving in Marrakech was scarier than coming down some of the narrow tracks up in the Atlas mountains. We did lots of off road driving and some of it was pretty extreme - I managed to lose both rear mud flaps and my rear step which all got pulled off driving into washed out river beds - and being a 90 I was too short. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #772343 9th May 2019 6:21pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for sharing the video, it sure is a trip to remember Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #772365 9th May 2019 7:52pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Great video Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #772366 9th May 2019 7:58pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Hey all - thanks for the compliments!

The whole trip took just over 2 weeks - 2 days for ferries, 2 days in Spain at each end and 8 days in Morocco in the middle. Didn’t feel too rushed at all, which I was glad about. Maybe average 3hr driving per day (more in Spain) but a couple days in the dunes with no driving.

You can make pretty good progress in Morocco, “A-roads” and dual carriageways are well surfaced, often straight and limited traffic, so you can do 90-120km/h fairly consistently. On the windier roads (such as crossing the Atlas) you quickly end up stuck behind coaches and trucks, with mad taxis overtaking you on blind bends.

As this was a ‘whistle-stop’ tour of Morocco and solo vehicle we did less off-roading and off-piste driving than some may take on, but did do a bit of driving around the dunes and desert.

One thing i’d say is that Morocco has LOADS of petrol stations which was helpful, even in the south. Unless you have a long off-road section planned you certainly don’t need to carry spare fuel. They only take cash though, even the big ones in towns, as do tolls/shops etc so get cash whenever you can.

Other than that, roads felt fairly safe other than expect the unexpected around blind corners (donkeys, tractors, taxis overtaking etc) and in towns it is a whole other story, it’s more like driving through a market.

Lots of police checkpoints and speed traps, so don’t bother speeding seems good advice. Checkpoints wave you through with a smile when they see the foreign plates.

Aside from driving we felt very safe in Morocco, and arriving in Tangier Med port & customs was easier and smoother than i’d Expected. Could see how things could get a little more dodgy if you say had an accident or somehow fell foul of someone but I didn’t at any point worry or get put off. People are generally extremely friendly and the extent of begging/harassment was less than i’d Expected (although we spent less time in cities).

My take home message would be just give it a go! There is lots of information online and good books too, but this was my first travel living in the car and first trip outside EU in car too, glad to have no mech. issues which helps! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #772864 12th May 2019 9:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12