↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Wife gone up the back of someone!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Wife gone up the back of someone!
Advice needed. I don,t have the details but my wife has just called to say she hit someone in front and the person behind her hit her!

I don,t like going through insurance but may have to. Everyone has driven off OK and my wife has got the number of the person in front, her reg and email as well as the person behind her. I wish she had got addresses. She said it wasn't her fault but it is of course if you go up the back of someone...

Any advice gratefully received. cannot remember the last time I have had to deal with insurance claims.
Post #771713 6th May 2019 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
If your car is ok I’d wait to hear from the other parties insurance companies. At that point do not accept any liability. Just tell them to contact your insurance company. They will probably try to get you to admit something. When your wife is home draw out on a piece of paper the road layout, where the cars are, time, road condition. Good luck.
Post #771714 6th May 2019 12:44pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Sadly the way insurance companies look at rear collisions/shunts is that the person who has driven into the back of a car is at fault, owing to the fact that the driver behind should always allow enough room from the vehicle in front to be able to stop in an emergency (there are no mitigating circumstances allowed, no matter what they might be as the insurers will always refer to the ‘give enough room rule’). So in your wife’s accident, your wife is at fault for driving into the car in front, likewise, the driver who collided with your wife is at fault for their part of the accident. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #771716 6th May 2019 12:56pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
take pictures ASAP on phone that has a date, time and location. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #771718 6th May 2019 12:59pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Re: Wife gone up the back of someone!
Zagato wrote:

I don,t like going through insurance but may have to.

Just a heads up do not under any circumstances pay for any repairs yourself as once you do you have admitted liability and your insurance company will not pursue the claim no matter what you may say to them in the future. This is dangerous as even if the repair is minor you may find that at a later date the person makes a fresh claim on you, say for whiplash or similar this could mean you get a hefty bill for compensation for physio and loss of earnings etc, this can run into thousands of pounds. Similar under RTR it is an offence not to report a traffic accident to the police, by reporting it to your insurers this clears you from that rule. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #771722 6th May 2019 1:12pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Wife now back, not her fault the car behind her hit her and shunted her into the car in front. SAys she has whiplash...

Insurance have been informed, car in front of us will claim on woman behind my wife, who shunted my wife into her.

Last edited by Zagato on 6th May 2019 1:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #771723 6th May 2019 1:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Any independent witness or dash cam footage?

If not there is a problem.

The third car which run into your wife could claim that your wife had already hit the first car.

This happen to me about 20 odd years ago when I was the middle car.

Hence importance of a independent witness.

Hope your wife get better soon.

Brendan
Post #771725 6th May 2019 1:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Spoken to the woman who hit us and she is accepting liability, no problem.
Post #771728 6th May 2019 1:47pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
20 odd years ago I was in a similar position as the driver of the middle car in a 3 car shunt.

Insurers took the view it was the driver at the back of the 3 who was liable.
Post #771729 6th May 2019 1:53pm
nitram17

Muddybigdog wrote:
take pictures ASAP on phone that has a date, time and location.

I second this ...in the days before mobile phones i used to carrry a disposible camera just in case as i was hit one in thre side by a sports car the women accepted lability at the time and we swapped insurance ..when she got home her husband had other ideas ........

Hence since then I always take a camera / phone with you and take as many pictures as you can ,provided its not your fault as you dont want to hang yourself!Thats why dash cams can protect you or hang you in equal measure!
Good luck zag and wife ...remember everybody is ok and you can replace metal
Post #771747 6th May 2019 3:39pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Looked underneath, subframe bent, mine will be written off Yahoo! Just coming up for mot, tax and service. I paid £800 for it five years ago from the insurance claim money I got from a SAAB 9000 I bought my wife for £350. We had it for a a week and a young girl reversed into it and the insurers paid out £1200 Very Happy we have put tyres, pads and an exhaust on it in five years. My wife commutes in it daily, BARGAIN cheap motoring.

I am lucky my wife doesn't,t care what she drives, something that doesn't,t matter if she bends it.... although it seems other woman are bending her cars...
Post #771748 6th May 2019 3:41pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Great to hear the driver behind accepted liability and fingers crossed your wife’s neck is ok from the whiplash.
Post #771769 6th May 2019 5:52pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
gilarion wrote:
Sadly the way insurance companies look at rear collisions/shunts is that the person who has driven into the back of a car is at fault, owing to the fact that the driver behind should always allow enough room from the vehicle in front to be able to stop in an emergency (there are no mitigating circumstances allowed, no matter what they might be as the insurers will always refer to the ‘give enough room rule’). So in your wife’s accident, your wife is at fault for driving into the car in front, likewise, the driver who collided with your wife is at fault for their part of the accident.

Not strictly speaking as break checkers exist
?list=LLW9WvWcSGduo-4vQ7sx2dYg I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #771796 6th May 2019 8:19pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
boxoftricks wrote:
Great to hear the driver behind accepted liability and fingers crossed your wife’s neck is ok from the whiplash.

Thumbs Up
Post #771797 6th May 2019 8:20pm
T140

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Zagato wrote:
Looked underneath, subframe bent, mine will be written off Yahoo! Just coming up for mot, tax and service. I paid £800 for it five years ago from the insurance claim money I got from a SAAB 9000 I bought my wife for £350. We had it for a a week and a young girl reversed into it and the insurers paid out £1200 Very Happy we have put tyres, pads and an exhaust on it in five years. My wife commutes in it daily, BARGAIN cheap motoring.

I am lucky my wife doesn't,t care what she drives, something that doesn't,t matter if she bends it.... although it seems other woman are bending her cars...

I wouldn't go posting YAHOO etc on an open forum as you don't know who is reading this, where they work or who they know, just my opinion nobody is perfect but being Scottish is a start
Post #771880 7th May 2019 12:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>