↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > ADVICE - Do I sell up and go Vogue / Sports or keep and mod?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
K.M

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
ADVICE - Do I sell up and go Vogue / Sports or keep and mod?
Probably the wrong place to ask - given it's a Defender forum ( Shocked ) but given that there many MANY people have chosen to modify their Defenders, and equally many people also have - or have had - Vogues / RR Sports, I thought I may get some informed answers.

Currently I have a 2016 (25 May 16) Defender 110 SW called Dolly and she is very much loved BUT she rarely gets used... she did less than 1000 miles between Mar 18 and Mar 19!!!

The household currently has 3 cars... Dolly, a company BMW (which changes every three months) and the other halfs little Fiat 500. I have purposefully chosen company cars which aren't compatible with the dog (5 series saloon, X4s and convertibles) so that it forces us to use the Defender for the dog... But living in an area surrounding by fields, we often just use what we have locally rather than traveling distances to walk him.

My thinking is:

Sell - I sell Dolly and we just go to a two car household. We can drive each others cars and I could go for an 5 series estate which is ideal for the dog etc and generally a lovely car!

Sell & Buy - I've looked at the 'USED' section of the LR website and found there is a good selection of 64/15/65 Vogues or Sports available in Autobiography. HSE etc spec ranging from £32k - £40k... this would give use a vehicle we can throw the dog in, use to collect big things for the house (restoring an old house) and generally a big car for when we need it. I can't even fit plasterboard in the 110! It's also an easy car to drive for when we need to go on long distances with the dog.

Keep and modify - We currently live at the bottom of a valley in Salisbury / Amesbury and the family live in Leeds... the times we've had to make the 5.5 hour trip for family occasions (with the dog in tow) are tedious and I dread them in the Defender. But when I think why it comes down to the lack of luxuries and conveniences I have in the BM. So do I go down the route of double din, sat-nav, cruise control and a Stage 1? Or am I throwing good money after bad in terms of increased insurance premiums (if any), added risk of theft and the same impracticality as I'm currently finding...? The mods would quickly add up to a few thousand....!

Whilst the value of the Defenders have reached a more sensible limit now, even with obvious depreciation in the future, it will continue to hold it's worth a lot LOT longer than the Vogue or Sports alternatives! I have looked at things like XC90 but the reviews seem to be in favour of the RR!

Any input or advice would be appreciated!
Post #770817 30th Apr 2019 9:32am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I've had my Defender for over 3 years the longest car I have ever had... Swapped an auto everything Mercedes E class estate for it. Love driving it and the waves from others... no other car will give you that smile.

We use it though, camping, carry stuff, towing, etc etc. I have no issues driving it to France and back. 550 miles in a day over to Annecy a few time now.

I do look at other cars on my travels and The only car I would consider is probably a RR Sport, however I would not sell the Defender, just have the RR Sport for comfort, However that seems a bit silly, as like you we have the wife's car (and my Series 3).

I would be very surprised if you would fit more building stuff in a Sport rather than a Defender? It's a box at the back, I've had all manor of things in mine.

Let's be honest you're going to lose on a RR sport, a £38K one now will be probably under £30K in another year. It's just how it is with cars. The Defender seems to be the exception. I doubt the value of mine has changed much in 3 years.

Does your wife Drive / like the Defender? I'm, lucky mine loves it, but if it's just for 'you' and she does not get it then another option is get the RR sport and buy a Series for you / Dog. If your only driving round the local lanes near you a series is fantastic.

Difficult one but if your not using it, why not? not comfortable enough? you can fit softer springs, cruise, smaller steering wheel, double din radio to make it more 'car' like.

My dad has a Full fat RR and its lovely, I see that when I'm older yes I will probably have something like that, but the Defender for now with Kids and our lifestyle its Awesome Smile If I want to go quick and sit in comfort I can take the wife's car out Smile
Post #770821 30th Apr 2019 9:47am
K.M

Morning Stacey, thanks for the reply!

When I first bought the Defender I was always planning on keeping it forever... it was built a week before the production ended and I had to fight tooth and nail to get it (not sure if I posted the entire story on here or not..) and for nearly 18 months I used it daily on my commute from the centre of Birmingham to Gaydon (Aston Martin or JLR) and never had an issue with it! When I then moved to where we are now, it became a lawn ornament due to the BMW.

The car is mine and to date the Mrs hasn't driven her (shes only just turned 25 so I intend on getting a quote to add her at renewal time in August). That said, she absolutely loves Dolly! So much so that if I do end up making the decision to sell, I'll still have to get it approved by her! That'll be more difficult than May and Brexit!

I've thought about taking the 2 rear seats out of the back of Dolly which then gives me a bigger load space. In reference to plasterboard... I could get it through the door uprights but then the load space can't accommodate the 1.8m in that orientation. It needs to be laid horizontal and that can't be done due to the door width. In comparison, the 5 series saloon swallows the full sheets with no problem!

I don't find the Defender uncomfortable to drive... I'm lucky and have the premium seats which are surprisingly comfortable and even after long journeys, I don't have a numb bum! I really do like driving her as despite it been the worst 'car' in the world, it's packed full of character and personality and for that reason I love it!

My commute to work now is 130 mile round trip so although I have started bringing the Defender to work 'for a run' it's simply uneconomical to do this regularly and again it's become something of a task rather than a desire... The other concern is the damage been caused by her just sitting there. When in Birmingham she was covered constantly so didn't get wet when it rained etc... now she's out in the open to all the elements! With her 'end of warranty' period coming in May, I've started walking around and making my list. So far - and from a quick inspection - I'm looking at corrosion to the alloys, rear sliding window blocks, underfloor in the middle row seating, leak from the bulkhead in to the footwell, window regulator in passenger door etc... the windscreen blocks have already been done as has corrosion around the roofline on the front window and a few other bits and bobs...

If she isn't getting used... how much further damage is going to be caused and subsequently cost to fix.... It's a difficult one!
Post #770824 30th Apr 2019 10:07am
jonny

If you can get a BMW estate as a company car, I'd go that route and keep the Defender...

My logic:

The defender is likely to go up in value. If you only use it at weekends it's not really going to be affected much, and it will remain low mileage for if you do decide to sell it. Put a trickle charger on it and it should be fine being left for a while.

RRs do seem to get affected by not being used much - the ones that seem to cause problems are the ones that are used irregularly, popping down the shops at weekends, short trips.

RR running costs are fairly steep, and when something does go wrong (and it will!) the repair bills can be HUGE.

If you have to put a mucky bit of plasterboard in the back of a car - would you rather put it in a company estate car or your luxury RR barge? Wink

Part of the fun of the defender is that it's different (ie. noisy / cramped / uncomfortable) but it's got character. If you swap if for a RR then you are going to lose that - you get a comfy car, but it's not that different to a big BMW estate.

I'm in a similar-ish situation to you - Have a Defender as a weekend / fun vehicle, missus has an impractical car, and need a 'normal' vehicle for every day use, but have no option of a company car.

Previously we had a RR as the 'normal' vehicle but the running costs were pretty high (both fuel and maintenance), and we had some major issues with it.. Now we've got a normal-ish estate car for daily usage, and the 110 gets used for pootling about and occasionally when I want to take something different to work...
Post #770827 30th Apr 2019 10:32am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
I have had a L322 Vogue for 5 years or so, Defender and until recently a Merc c350 estate.

9/10 Vogue is the choice; it has a dog cage in which is enormous and yet we still have loads of room for other stuff. It's comfy, has a parking heater for winter, you can park it literally anywhere without worrying if it will be there when you get back.. sit on the rear tailgate with a flask of coffee or towel the dogs down before getting in. We have some AT3's and its towed a horse box across fields, taken the caravan to CL's and been used as a wedding car it's so versatile.

Mind you if I had to sell one the L322 would go and the defender would stay Rolling with laughter

Oh and you can get a 3 seater sofa in the back of a L322 try that with a 110 Mr. Green

Last edited by TJH1985 on 30th Apr 2019 12:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #770847 30th Apr 2019 11:52am
K.M

You haven't helped TJH1985 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

...but your comments represent my mind vs heart at the moment!
Post #770849 30th Apr 2019 11:54am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
Laughing Sorry!

In summary don't buy a Sport, do buy a Vogue and don't sell the defender.

My other half drives the Vogue day to day, I got rid of the new c350 and just have a Octavia VRS as my work car Thumbs Up
Post #770852 30th Apr 2019 12:10pm
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
We run both a 54 Plate L322 3.0 td6 its a must when buying look for low owners and excellent service history, low mileage less important as they like to be used.

Prices of the Full fat RR are falling dramatically across the range with exception of the supercharged, so they seem good value now.

But I would part with the L322 before that defender, the family love it and it just makes every journey feel like an adventure, even long journeys the misses says she is comfortable.

I say get both! or get an estate company car next time round and keep the defender, whilst nice, the L322 wont give you the same feeling a defender does, plus people let you out at junctions in a defender and stop and chat, no one does in the L322! or not in Surrey anyways.

Be strong and keep it, oh and i assume u dont keep it on the lawn! keep it garaged nice and safe and dry!
Post #770856 30th Apr 2019 12:26pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
Agreed on prices, mines a 3.6TDV8 fantastic car and compared to what I paid 5 years ago it’s a absolute bargain, allot of car for the money. Takes a fair bit of work to keep it tip top mind.

I’ve been looking at a L405 but it’s quite a jump in price, and the L322 is at a point where you are not scared of using it properly. Today I would look at a end of model L322 4.4TDV8 Westy I think, I’ve never used the rear screens etc that come with the Vogue SE.
Post #770862 30th Apr 2019 12:57pm
K.M

Dolly isn't currently on the lawn (mainly because I've recently hired a digger and dug all the front lawn away to make some parking) but she is currently parked on mud and clay: the most off-roading she has ever done!

Sadly a Defender and RR isn't an option... unless the other half has starting defecating gold and hasn't told me Rolling with laughter Your point (Snowy90) is a good one... get an estate CC for those long journeys with the dog etc and the Defender for fun... but the infrequent use and continued weather damage still reminds...

The house restoration / renovation doesn't allow for a garage... we're actually removing a garage / carport as it just doesn't work with the house :/

I'm not sure on the RR model codes but (as a quick browse) these are the sort of things I've found... What I should add is the money to fund something like this would only come from selling the Defender... she would castrate me if I bought another car when the house is still a building site haha!

https://used.landrover.co.uk/search?t=1556...ls/2893284
https://used.landrover.co.uk/search?t=1556...ls/2935870
Post #770869 30th Apr 2019 1:26pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I'd get the 5 series estate for long motorway journeys and keep the Defender for fun unless you need to sell from a financial perspective. Keep it, grab a roof rack or trailer for the plasterboard or get it delivered to the house Laughing

If you sell it you'll regret it.
Post #770872 30th Apr 2019 1:35pm
Snowy90

KM those are what is knows as the L405 newest version bar a few small updates in 2018, still very pricey but falling all the time, the L322 is the shape before, still a great car but run untill 2012 the last of those can be had anything from £14k to 23k ish, and like all RR falling all the time.
Post #770885 30th Apr 2019 3:21pm
Snowy90

for what its worth, i would keep the defender which is probably holding its value at the moment, get the building work finished and by that time RR prices would have dropped so much that you will save 5-£10k on a 40K RR.
Post #770886 30th Apr 2019 3:23pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Sell now, while defender prices are still ridiculously high. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #770922 30th Apr 2019 6:01pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Am I right in thinking Dolly is that beautifully waxed wet look one I’m thinking about? Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #770965 30th Apr 2019 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>