↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Finding LHD 130s for sale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
Finding LHD 130s for sale
I'm looking to buy a 130, ideally with a Tdi engine. What's the best place to find these for sale?

I've got a budget in the £10-12k range. I'm not really familiar with what 130 pricing is like, but looking on mobile.de shows 6 for sale in that range so I don't feel like I'm too far off. As well as mobile.de I've been looking on autoscout24, autotrader, ebay, lro and car&classic every day for months but still haven't seemed to make any progress. I'm wondering if there's a better place to be looking that someone may know.

Distance to go and see it isn't really an issue, although I'd prefer within the EU to make the import/export process easier. I have actually tried to contact 2 of the 6 on mobile.de already but I haven't got a reply. I'm not sure if that's to do with my awful German translation or they didn't want to get the extra pictures I asked for (I want to make sure the chassis and bulkhead aren't fubar before I travel out to see one).

The plan is to buy one and build it out into a camper. We will mostly take it into Europe and the first plan is to head to Norway in it next year, but also in a couple of years there is a potential opportunity for us to ship it to South America and spend a year with it over there. This is why I'm restricted to lhd - aside from it just making life easier, some countries in SA flat out refuse entry for rhd vehicles. But.. those plans all depend on managing to buy one.
Post #770388 27th Apr 2019 3:11pm
AdrianCR

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Hard to find, many have been sent to the United States. luck.
Post #770396 27th Apr 2019 5:50pm
deep down

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Post #770456 27th Apr 2019 10:32pm
lozza

we are planning similar ...i am thinking of LHD conversion to mine at some stage,would that be easier than trying to buy in germany?

loz
Post #770473 28th Apr 2019 8:19am
Teario

Thanks guys. It does seem like USA exports are putting the price up. I've seen loads that state "USA export arranged" and then list a crazy price.

I didn't know about leboncoin so I'll keep an eye on that. Maybe I do just need to wait and increase my budget some more. The ones you've linked look decent, the first might just fit in the budget if they'll negotiate a little so I'll probably try and get in touch with them. The second one definitely sounds like they aren't going to budge, but it's only just over budget so I might be able to stretch a bit.

I hadn't really considered LHD conversion but it definitely seems like a solid option. I'm not really sure what the full extent of that is likely to be - from a quick search online it seems like older models are considered easier, with less bulkhead modification. I'll have to look into this some more I think. If I can do this it'd be great as I can see more vehicles than having to fly out somewhere. For example there's this which fits in the budget very comfortably so I should imagine would leave enough over to cover the parts for a conversion. There's 9 others across ebay, lro, autotrader and car&classic under budget right now too. To be honest the more I think about this now, the more I'm talking myself into it.

I came by this site today that's really got me feeling motivated again. Their build is really nice and somehow they've managed it with a 110.

Also looking forward to lots of additional inspiration from yours now too, Loz!
Post #770604 28th Apr 2019 11:49pm
lozza

haha,dunno about inspiration more like what not to do

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post770744.html#770744
Post #770745 29th Apr 2019 6:37pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
If you are buying in that price range and from the Tdi "era", a RHD to LHD conversion makes sense as you'll probably have to sort out the bulkhead anyway, so you might as well do both in one go... Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #770966 30th Apr 2019 7:57pm
Mcmuffin

Belgium 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I have a 130 for sale, LHD, Belgium.
email for info : kris.willemen@icloud.com
gr,
Kris
Post #773801 19th May 2019 6:41am
Teario

Well just an update on this I guess. I did contact some companies to try and get an idea of whether they could do the LHD conversion for me and at what price. This is so I can concentrate on getting the 90 back on the road for now, as that's been sat in the garage for almost 2 years. I got in touch with about 6 places, of which only 2 were interested. After a bit of discussion, both eventually just directed me to their sales page which had some lhd vehicles, but all were out of my budget.

I really thought hard about what I could compromise on in order to find something. I realised I didn't really want to go for anything other than a 300Tdi, purely because that's what I'm familiar with. So I've changed plan a little bit. I'm just going to spend the next couple of months working on the 90 and getting it back on the road, so I've got space to work in again. By then I should also have a bigger budget and I'll look at 110s as well as 130s. In all honesty I think a 110 is what I'll end up with. If I find a decent rhd I'll do the conversion myself, otherwise hopefully I'll strike it lucky with a left hander.

Mcmuffin thanks for letting me know about your 130 for sale. It's a real nice looking vehicle, but as I said further up, I think I'm going to stick with the tdis.
Post #774500 22nd May 2019 11:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1