↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Mobile Wi-fi/MiFi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mobile Wi-fi/MiFi
Hi, Does anybody have experience of installing a mobile Wi-fi/MiFi Router in their Defender or other Car?

I am wanting to have onboard Wi-fi that the family can link to on journeys for internet, etc, But more importantly that a Dashcam(BlackVue) can be linked to so it can automatically upload to the cloud and enable me to dial in to see what is going on in case some scum are trying to nick it. This way hopefully I will be able to get some evidence rather than the dashcam going with the defender and the evidence with it.

Many thanks
Post #769929 24th Apr 2019 9:27pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Hey Steve, if no luck on here, give the disvo3 site a try, they've been doing that for years.
Post #769932 24th Apr 2019 9:42pm
Minch90

United Kingdom 
I used to have a MiFi unit connected to a usb power supply in the glove box of my work truck, was on an EE mobile data plan. The unit had a battery which lasted about 4h (was fine for me), so the usb power would need to be always on if you want the network to be live all the time. Unit worked really well creating a network throughout the inside (and for me outside!) of the truck, and would handle multiple simultaneous connections and repeated connections of the same users. There is an app to allow you to configure network name, password, time out settings etc. Data speed is obvs dependent on network speed, but in a 4G area was great, monthly cost is dependent upon how much data you want. Hope that helps! 2.4TDCI 90 - everyday brilliance
S3 V8 Lightweight - in the garage being ignored #newchassistime
S3 lightweight - 2nd car 24V fire risk with a full tilt and the windscreen down
S1 80" - first car fun - 75mph in neutral downhill once #wobblesallround
Post #769935 24th Apr 2019 9:58pm
Mies

Netherlands 
I use an old iphone (replaced it because the battery was done for) on a permanent charger. Put in a data only sim card and switched on the personal hotspot option. Works perfectly.
Post #769936 24th Apr 2019 10:02pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I went a bit overkill for various reasons....

I have an industrial 4G router, with a pair of external antenna, mounted in mine. Gives fairly solid 4G connections even when my phone is convinced there's not a sniff of it about. Works great, and I've watched several films over it when in weak signal areas. As a less extreme option, various Huawei mifi type devices have an option for external anntenas, as even getting outside of the big metal box of the vehicle body makes a big difference!
Post #769954 25th Apr 2019 12:47am
leonvh

Belgium 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Barolo Black
I bought the Huawei E5885 and combine it with the BlackVue DR900S-2CH cloud dashcam together with the Blackvue B-124 PM Ultra battery (In my 'other' car, not the Defender).

The Huawei has a rather large built-in battery (lasts for more than 48hours!) and can easily be used in- and outside the car. It is attached with some velcro below the drivers seat and is powered by a separate USB connection (the same 12V feed also charges the BV battery when driving). This way I can really use the Blackvue's cloud functionality.

No complaints about the Huawei and I can really recommend it as it is a very versatile unit. You can even use it a s a USB power source to charge your Phone or any other USB device.
Post #769963 25th Apr 2019 7:32am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I’ve bought and installed this kit. It fantastic. Loads of signal everywhere, and now have 100Gb per month for £20, no roaming limit, and 4g in Europe.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-r...i-save-25/
Post #769966 25th Apr 2019 8:10am
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You are going to have the Chinese spying on all your internet activity with that Huawei kit Twisted Evil
Post #769971 25th Apr 2019 8:18am
drakes

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Belize Green
landy andy

What network are you getting 100gb for £20 on?
Post #769983 25th Apr 2019 11:24am
LR Sam

England 
For cheapness I like the old phone idea just connected to a usb charger we have hardwired. Obviously would need the engine on to charge but there will be some battery length if the Defender was parked up.
Post #770018 25th Apr 2019 2:31pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Vodafone was doing a deal last month, so jumped in.

I’ve installed the system on my motorhome, so hardly use it to be honest, but it just works out so cheap when compared to pay as you go SIMs that we were using. I bought via mobiles.com or something like that who then refunded some money so it works out at £16 or £18 per month, 12month contract.

I have been offered similar deal via EE but at £25 per month, and I don’t know what their roaming limits are.
Post #770062 25th Apr 2019 7:13pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Wow, lots of very useful information/advice. Thanks Leonvh, that sounds exactly what I’m after so just ordered one and hopefully will be spot on. Will report back on my findings as I think it has the potential of being very useful if the Defender gets stolen and I can access the cloud to see if the front, rear/internal cameras catch the scum.
Many thanks everyone for taking the time to respond Bow down
Post #770079 25th Apr 2019 7:56pm
RRS2

United Kingdom 
I have a Wi2U Car Hotspot – In Car Wifi, I bought it back in 2013 to connect a laptop to in my Touareg, works really well in my Defender.
Post #770119 25th Apr 2019 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1