↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > Help - V8 with Hotwire Efi "flooding"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Help - V8 with Hotwire Efi "flooding"
Please can anyone help - My 4 litre V8 started to not run "clean" a few weeks ago, misfiring. The engine is in a hybrid lightweight on coils. No Lambda sensors - green resistor. It had been running fine. New Dizzy cap & rotor arm (Genuine) fitted when it started playing up - no difference.
It was producing noticeably black smoke from the exhaust and had a CO reading of around 10% from my cheap analyser.
Then it wouldn`t start, A timing light on the HT leads showed sparks but when I tried a spark plug test against the block, there was no spark at the tip. I then took all the (new) plugs out and cleaned them with a wire brush - they were wet and black-ish but not caked in carbon - then used a blowtorch to dry them off (they actually burned off, what I assume was excess fuel!) and then it would run (rough for a short time), then die.

Tried a known good ECU - just the same. Tried a good AFM - no change.

I checked fuel pressure - 36/38psi which checks out OK with recommendations, but it decayed down to around 15psi in a minute - manuals say it should loose no more than 10psi in a minute, but it is a non standard pump so I wonder if it is bleeding back through the pump. So I checked the injectors for leakage and there was not one drip under pressure! Then checked the flow from all injectors and they all came back with just under 200 ml per minute - as spec!
Now starting to run out of things to check - anyone got any ideas before I put it all back together and hope it is better, even though I haven`t actually found anything amiss.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Nicam Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!
Post #769882 24th Apr 2019 2:30pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
That is more or less a carbon copy of my issues (have a look at my build thread in signature)! I also run an aftermarket (sytec) fuel pump with a swirl pot and original EFI feed pump in the tank.

Ours was running faultlessly, turned off for a couple of hrs then would not restart. The hotwire system is really bad for dumping loads of fuel in on cold start and flooding the plugs. I put new plugs in eventually as even when dry and cleaned the spark was occurring up inside the body of the plug rather than at the electrode which i think was caused by poisoning and overheating.

A new set of NGKs from ECP was only £17ish so worth doing.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #769885 24th Apr 2019 2:51pm
dorsetsmith

Post #769889 24th Apr 2019 3:41pm
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
RallySteve - Thanks for the link to your build, and it sounds like the plug problem is the same as mine. I`ve never known that plug problem before. I have an adjustable pressure regulator, so can adjust that down to help. Glad it isn`t just me!
DorsetSmith - Thanks for that link and I have got a lot of help from that site - some of the figures I quoted originally came from that source.
Cheers All
Nicam Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!
Post #769986 25th Apr 2019 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1