Home > Events > Moab 4x4 Expo. 18/19 April 2019
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Moab 4x4 Expo. 18/19 April 2019
Anyone else planning to go to this one?
A bit different, hope the format catches on in the UK.

https://www.rr4w.com/moab_jeep_expo.cfm

Free parking
Free entry for public, 2 days, come and go as you please.
Free stall space for traders and exhibitors.
$500,000+ prize draw and give aways.

Only off-road and overland related stalls.
Loads of top quality custom made gear to browse and buy.
NO "Joe's Jeep Breakers" selling rusty, worn out, secondhand rubbish.

Off-road course.
500+ Miles of dirt roads, back country trails and rock crawling.
Free to use, or £40 a day to be guided round the best places, according to your ability, by some great, like minded people.
** - This is not a half hour in a muddy sand pit - **

On site catering: fundraiser for local charity, £5 includes burger, baked potato, salad, grilled 'corn, desert and soft drink.
Off site catering, over 100 restaurants, cafe's, diners and bars near by.

Sun screen recommend. Very Happy
Post #767189 6th Apr 2019 1:14pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
I guess the scene in the states is a little different, more affluent plus so many trails and so much ‘wilderness’ on offer means there are a lot more people into overlanding and such.

I think it’s a great format and would love to go to Easter Jeep safari!!, but I wonder if anyone would ‘get it’ on this side of the pond. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #767197 6th Apr 2019 3:32pm
DSC-off

Loads of people would 'get it', anyone that goes greenlaning, has joined a 4x4 club or wants to drive off-road.
Even the pimped and polished would find a lot to aspire to.

The sad thing is it would never happen over here. If there was a suitable venue, there would be an outcry as soon as the plan was hatched, "you can't do that" from Ecomentalists. Our Local Authorities, Environment Agency and National Parks would shut it down, rather than actually work with the event to make it happen. Individuals would jump at the chance to screw as much money as possible out of it.
They are the ones that wouldn't get it.

The good news is it's only one flight and a vehicle rental to get there, or you can take a 2nd flight to Moab airport.
Many make the trip from this side of the pond and around the world. French, Swiss, Belgians and Germans making the trip year after year too.
Nothing is difficult to sort out. Plan well in advance, book hotels 9 to 12 months early, many book the same hotel for next year as they check out!
Book Jeep rental 4 months early, just to be sure. Book guided trails the minute they're released, because there'll be none left the next day.
For more than 20 years I thought "one day I'll go to Moab", this year is my third trip and I kick myself for waiting so long.
Post #767386 7th Apr 2019 12:27pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I would love to go to an event like this, I guess the nearest we have is Abentauer Allrad in Germany, but that doesn't have the trails to drive.

The problem we have, certainly in the UK and immediately surrounding areas, is almost a complete lack of open wildernes. Because we are so crowded, every square inch of land is controlled and regulated. Offroaders are inevitably squeezed into the same place as hikers, cyclists and families out for a stroll, which generates conflict and more regulation. Inevitably, the big noisy 4x4s loose out.

In the US there is enough room for all outdoor pursuits without getting under each others feet which encourages big events like the above. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #767407 7th Apr 2019 2:46pm
DSC-off

Bluest, you've summed it up perfectly with the last sentence. Thumbs Up
Post #767428 7th Apr 2019 4:20pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
DSC-off wrote:
Loads of people would 'get it', anyone that goes greenlaning, has joined a 4x4 club or wants to drive off-road.
Even the pimped and polished would find a lot to aspire to.

The sad thing is it would never happen over here. If there was a suitable venue, there would be an outcry as soon as the plan was hatched, "you can't do that" from Ecomentalists. Our Local Authorities, Environment Agency and National Parks would shut it down, rather than actually work with the event to make it happen. Individuals would jump at the chance to screw as much money as possible out of it.
They are the ones that wouldn't get it.

The good news is it's only one flight and a vehicle rental to get there, or you can take a 2nd flight to Moab airport.
Many make the trip from this side of the pond and around the world. French, Swiss, Belgians and Germans making the trip year after year too.
Nothing is difficult to sort out. Plan well in advance, book hotels 9 to 12 months early, many book the same hotel for next year as they check out!
Book Jeep rental 4 months early, just to be sure. Book guided trails the minute they're released, because there'll be none left the next day.
For more than 20 years I thought "one day I'll go to Moab", this year is my third trip and I kick myself for waiting so long.

I was paraphrasing when I said no one would get it, obviously us enthusiasts would be all over it- but I doubt there are enough to really get a big event off the ground? Still, wouldn’t it be fantastic if we had access to something like that. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #767429 7th Apr 2019 4:25pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
There's a big one over here in France every year,so not as far as the US of A.
It realy is a good event.The web site is poor as is usual for French web sites. Sad
Some good footage of it on Youtube.
Marc.
https://jeepaoc.assoconnect.com/billetteri...1?iframe=1
Post #767430 7th Apr 2019 4:36pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I do think it would be nice if we weren’t so tribal about our vehicles in this country A show combining Land Rover, Jeep, Toyota etc. could add some variety and male it more viable for vendors, but they never seem to work. The two we have here, 4x4 show and Adventure Overland both seem to struggle. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #767431 7th Apr 2019 4:42pm
zippo87

Scotland 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I’ve been in Moab at roughly the same time, however can’t recall if it was just before or just after (went to get some MTB done). The atmosphere was absolutely electric, the Americans really ‘get’ 4x4, and the way it integrates into family adventure - big rigs hauling MX machines, boats, ATV’s, from the youngest of families to the eldest. They do have the space to not irritate those who are opposed, but I think it’s just a cultural shift in what’s accepted as their choice pursuit of outdoor past times. In the UK it’s considered either too noisy, too aggressive, too damaging to our ecosystems, and combine that with noise pollution, and our ideals of a quiet countryside that create so much friction. If we could unwind our expectations as a society and embrace what we have and how to encourage active outdoor pursuits, I think we’d be a lot closer to other continents that appreciate how the environment and recreation (motorsports) can be combined beneficially.
Post #769761 23rd Apr 2019 8:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1