↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Modifying the power lead from the battery to the fuse box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tegner

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Done mine yesterday using the LRD security kit and Nitram 17 route i.e. using the hole nearer the front for the heated seat wiring as my seats are recaro fixed it took a little longer, also installed a jump start point using an Anderson connector
Post #768249 12th Apr 2019 9:21am
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
A tip for those struggling to remove the plastic cover on the fuse box end.

Disconnect the lead at the battery
    Undo the 3x 10mm bolts holding the section of the fuse box that has the offending plastic cover attached.
    Lift the fuse box you just removed slightly to improve access to the cover
    Get a zip tie and use the thin end to poke into the cover's clip while gently pulling the cover outwards towards the door. You'll feel the cover loosen, hold it gently in place and then do the same for the other clip.
    Slide off the cover

If you find the end of the zip tie isn't rigid enough to move the plastic 'lock' in the cover; cut it in half - the end of zip ties tends to be tapered and hence more flexible. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #768288 12th Apr 2019 4:28pm
nitram17

A week to late fella Big Cry Big Cry ..great advice Thumbs Up ...i just thought even landrover would not have another clip on the underside of the cover where you needed to be a borrower to get access to it.......stupid me!

I have tried nearly everywhere to find a replacement cover but i think they only come with the loom at 130 notes and even my OCD is quashed at that price......even dan on here let me down!I think i will use a battery terminal cover to protect the live feed .and never look at it again Laughing Laughing
Post #768317 12th Apr 2019 7:22pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
So I finally got around to doing this !!! Smile

Thanks for the tips, I had heated seat cables to move out the way & I also had that fiddly 2.2 cover to remove, so the advice here made my job so much easier.

I had a self inflicted issue which I thought I'd mention for anyone else doing this.

When I was reconnecting the negative cable to the battery I managed to set the bbus off. I wasn't too worried about that & I was actually pleased to know that it worked. However after everything was back together I realised that my console display wasn't working - the fuel gauge, revs, speedo, etc were all blank!!! OMG what had I done ?!! Big Cry

It took me a while to figure out that I needed to turn the key to position II then turn the key back & remove it & disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal within 17 seconds again! After that when I reconnected the cable to the negative battery terminal again (carefully without setting off the bbus) everything was all fine & working again. Phew! Very Happy

I used the kit from LRD Security which I'd definitely highly recommend.
Post #907572 12th Jun 2021 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12