Home > Technical > TD5 constant blue smoke and header tank over pressurising
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Burgerboy78

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
TD5 constant blue smoke and header tank over pressurising
Good Afternoon all,

I hope i have submitted this in the correct section! I think i know the answer to my problem, but being my first land rover its nice to get some reassurance before i tear it to bits!

On start up it emits blue smoke, and continues to emit blue smoke when driving. Will smoke more on start up than when its warmed up however it still smokes. It still pulls as it should, however when you stop and turn the engine off you can hear a hissing sound.

The hissing is coming from the header tank. If you carefully release the cap there is excess pressure, and as soon as you put the cap back on it will start to hiss relatively quickly.

I believe the head gasket has failed. I removed the inter cooler pipe and there wasn't excess oil in there for me to be concerned about. There is no "gunge" or creamyness in the oil cap or on the dipstick.

It does use a little water, but due to the smoke being blue its definitely burning more oil than smoke.

It is a W reg TD5 so i believe this will have the plastic head dowels. Engine has just clicked over 99k miles. ECU plug was filled with oil but i have cleaned this out. I will replace the loom when the head comes off.

Anything else i am missing?
Post #766871 4th Apr 2019 4:35pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Hi, where in Essex are you from?

It’s not uncommon for header tanks to pressurise from expansion of the coolant, and possibly loose some from evaporation.

Have you checked the turbo? How about air intake? EGR? Injector loom?

Are you using water as coolant or are you using OAT red coolant? If you’re using pure water then the oil won’t cloud.[/i] I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #766896 4th Apr 2019 6:32pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
When you release the pressure from the reservoir, is there an exhaust smell in the released gas?

Here's my failed head gasket. I wasn't having the blue smoke issue, however I did have exhaust into the cooling system.

The compression gasses were also stopping the coolant from circulating properly, so the radiator would not get a proper flow of
coolant. (cold raditor, hot engine)

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #766923 4th Apr 2019 8:20pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
If unsure I would pull the head and go from there. Possibly fitting the uprated head that Turners offer.
Post #766926 4th Apr 2019 8:44pm
Burgerboy78

I'm in the Southend area.

I've checked the turbo and that all seems ok. There wasn't any oil in the intercooler pipes and I pulled the pipe off at the turbo and the manifold.

It's definitely overpressurising as it will sit there hissing away.

I haven't checked the EGR, but I'm not sure how the EGR would produce the blue smoke issue that I have.

Not to sure what coolant is in it, the water in the header tank doesn't seem to have much colour.

It's definitely burning oil. I will check the smell of the oil and the header tank tomorrow to see what I see. But yes I think I'm just going to have the head off and see what I can. It looks like a fairly straight forward job.
Post #766938 4th Apr 2019 10:15pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Mileage wise, you are right at the sweet spot for head issues with a 10P.

With my head gasket issue, I actually replaced the head with the new updated Turner version. I figured with the head off, and right around that same mileage, why put the old head back on if it may be an issue again in the near future. I called it "expensive preventative maintenance". it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #767063 5th Apr 2019 6:28pm
Burgerboy78

I've been looking at getting all the parts from Turner so I will speak to them about the head.

I took the breather pipe off today and it was full off the sludge you would expect from a head gasket issue. The engine was also breathing extremely heavily even with the breather disconnected from the decompression valve.

Ordering the head gasket parts Monday so will keep you updated!
Post #767278 6th Apr 2019 9:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1