↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Loom and connector questions -300tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

Loom and connector questions -300tdi
Hi all,

....and today's question is about wiring looms!

I got my new loom delivered from autosparks, and having them both side by side on the bench helps me to identify what goes where.... Lots of wiring:

Click image to enlarge

I believe a significant part of how they work is to copy looms they've been sent; and of course even on my car that's only 25 years old, some of the connectors become obsolete. It's about 98% right, and the differences I can fix easily enough. It has all I need... but some 'extras' too.

One big plus is that it has an ISO power supply for a radio - so that's a bonus.

On the basis that the radio connector is a useful thing, it's got me wondering what the other things might be.

There's this plug. (Excuse the grubby fingers - next time I'll scrub up for the camera) The colours are hard to pick out, but there's a white/orange, two brown, and one brown/blue.

Click image to enlarge

This one is 1x black; white; white/red; 2 x white/yellow (one with a small red band around it)

Click image to enlarge

Then there are these 'terminations' - I'm guessing maybe region-specific provisions?

Click image to enlarge

Staying in the passenger compartment (no photos yet) there's a multi plug with black; Red/orange; and Blue/red. There's also another termination with a small rectangular ceramic thing (diode? resistor?) 1 x Yellow/brown and 1 white wire.

In the engine compartment there are a couple of isolated wires, single female bullet connectors - again no photos at this stage, but I might get some more just to make this easier.

As I say, the loom has all I need + a radio socket, so this just opportunistic curiosity in case there's something else there I could use.

Finally - I had started wondering about why I was doing this - so much of the loom looked OK, but then I spotted this. Two spots where the cable sleeve has just chafed or worn away. This is the sort of thing that has been worrying me about short circuits/fire risk.

Click image to enlarge

Ta Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #765868 28th Mar 2019 9:56pm
dorsetsmith

Post #765873 28th Mar 2019 10:07pm
donmacn

Thanks for that. I meant to say that I have a copy of the WSM - with these diagrams in black and white. I have also spent some time looking at colour versions online, and I'm afraid I'm none the wiser.

I find it hard to follow 'modern' diagrams, where the circuits are split between power supply and earth, not like the older ones where things were done more pictorially.

I just hoped someone more familiar with the wiring colour scheme might find the questions easier to answer. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #765877 28th Mar 2019 10:25pm
under_rover

2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Hi Donald,

I know your pain Laughing it not known as the devils knitting for no reason

I think I can clear a couple up for you, you'll just need to double check colours on 1st one you showed

Brown/grey, white/orange, brown, brown/orange - female connector - number C786 on diagram - aircon - sits behind passenger compartment fuse cover

White, black, white/yellow x2, white/red - number C910 on diagram - bulb check (Saudi) - sits behind instrument panel

hope that helps a little Thumbs Up Cheers
Laurie

90 rebuild thread - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62909.html
Post #766495 2nd Apr 2019 9:42am
donmacn

Thanks Under-Rover, certainly does help.

I'm pretty sure I won't need a 'Saudi bulb check', but if the aircon one delivers power, then I might just tap into that for my CB radio. My car is so basic that it doesn't have aircon.

I'm away from home the next couple of days, but I'll check this when I get back. Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #766590 2nd Apr 2019 8:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1