Home > Expedition & Overland > Galicia 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Galicia 2018
GALICIA 2018
In response to those interested in Spanish trips here’s an account of a great trip we made to Galicia with #offroadadventuretravel in September last year

We only had a week so kicked off with overnight ferry from Portsmouth and landing in Santander the following evening stayed locally At Santillana de la Mer. Day 1 was a long drive initially south then west to get us over to the general area we wished to explore but largely we found ourselves following the Camino de Compostela- a long distance pilgrims path culminating initially at the impressive Santiago de Compostela and then for the hardy the headland at Finnistere - all worthy of a few hours exploration.

Plenty of tracks in the hills and round the coast offered a huge variety of terrain and vistas, and with the luxury of having them pretty much to ourselves. With time of the essence we opted for hotels to save time on camping/cooking/packing which was a genius of an idea. Hotels were generally very good and the local food was outstanding and incredibly reasonably priced . Reckon our most expensive meal was £30 a head for 3 courses including wine!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately the 110 let us down at quite possibly the furthest point from the Uk but here is where you really appreciate the benefit of a guided trip. Adam @ offroadadventuretravel really stepped up to the plate here. He knew exactly how to deal with the situation and the likely sequence of events that would ensue so his decision to get us to civilisation to wait for the AA was inspired- because at least we had access to food, toilets and WiFi! Despite the loss of the vehicle we were able to transfer our gear to his car and continue our trip. Although a few hours of off-roading were lost he took it all in his stride and was quick to quell any embarrassment we felt about the vehicle letting us down. The vehicle was returned 48 hours later with Adam dropping us at the garage and then he stayed with us as we embarked on the 350 mile return trip to the ferry with a clock very much ticking. Although the repair failed half way - even at 2am in the morning Adams professionalism shone through, staying with us till the AA recovery reappeared, hotel accommodation had been sorted and ferry travel rearranged. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable week despite vehicle challenges because of a 5 star service. We will definitely be returning to Galicia and we will definitely be customers of #offroadadventuretravel again - having just secured our place for the Pyrenees this June!
Post #754765 29th Jan 2019 2:14pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Glad you had a good time Smile

Most of the 4x4 treks follow a similar route in Galicia, all around a week and all folowing the Vibraction road book. I did it in 2017 and it was good. I can see why a lot of people do it as a hotel trip, the hotels are cheap and the camping isn't that great, we went towards the end of September and a lot of the few campsite that were there were closed.

What you say about going with a group is one of a few very good reasons to go with a group. It's also a lot more entertaining in camp than by yourself. I have been on a lot of trips abroad, solo, leading groups and following groups. All are good and have their own merits. Sometimes it's really nice to be a lone vehicle, you don't have to wait for people at supermarkets, you're much more flexible and can move much more quickly. Equally it's nice to be able to share the experience, have a bit of a security blanket and have a chat in camp in the evenings.
Post #754792 29th Jan 2019 4:05pm
markalpha

The Hotels were great and meant more time on the trails and less time setting up camp. We also did a lot of trails from The Vibraction Road book.

Were looking at Corsica to do a solo trip, more time exploring the coast and beaches by ourselves rather than in a group. It will be interesting to see how the two forms of travel compare. You’re definitely right pros and cons to both Thumbs Up
Post #755005 30th Jan 2019 5:02pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Nice write up and with so many going the camping route it made a change to here about hotels which is how my wife and I would want to experience Galicia and the plus and minus of a group ,when we had a classic TVR we always did group events and found them to our likening ,so next year holiday could be sorted .Thanks markalpha.
Post #756928 7th Feb 2019 12:32am
markalpha

No problem Thumbs Up
Post #756940 7th Feb 2019 6:46am
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
Looks like an amazing adventure and i'm absolutely not envious at all ! Lucky burger !
Post #756991 7th Feb 2019 11:19am
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Sounds and looks amazing.

What was the problem with the Defender?
Post #757062 7th Feb 2019 4:00pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi Markalpha,

Looking at doing this area next year with a like minded group of friends. We did the Alps last year, self guided using a road book I bought from Raid 4x4. Could you tell me which guide you followed if any, or have you got a route plan you wouldn’t mind sharing,

Thanks

Ashbyandy Very Happy Very Happy
Post #766203 31st Mar 2019 9:58am
markalpha

The problem was a split intercooler hose, unfortunately the temporary fix only lasted for 200 miles and we didn’t have time to wait for the parts to be delivered as that would of meant missing our ferry and son’s birthday.
Post #766221 31st Mar 2019 11:30am
markalpha

As it was a Tag along Tour I didn’t get too involved with route planning but I think Vibraction road books were consulted and information from them was used.

https://www.vibraction.org/

Hope this helps Ashbyandy
Post #766222 31st Mar 2019 11:43am
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Markalpha,

Thanks for the reply and info. I’ve had a look at the Vibraction book 24 for Galicia, and it sounds just right. I’ll have to get it translated again, like I did with the Raid 4x4 guide to the Alps,

Thanks again,
Andy
Post #766247 31st Mar 2019 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1