↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Momentary power loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Momentary power loss
On the way into work this morning coming off the A12 after a 70MPh cruise into chelmsford i had a bit of a power loss.

So after the cruise i took the Sliproad and came to a complete stop, Engine still running, however when i go to pull away there was normal revving, but very little oomph, almost like i was out of gear, however as i progressively revved once i got to 2500 RPM the revs cascaded to 3500RPM, and proceeded to jolt and act normally, then when i changed gear i got to 2500, then cascade to 3500 all the way until i got to 30MPh in 3rd and stabilised revs.

Acted fine since.

The engine still ran and revs were normal at stop, only when revving was there no power transfer, then a cascade.

This has happened once before 5 months ago in may, but i put it down to not being in the right gear ect

What do we think?

My thoughts:
Wastegate Sticking?
EGR locking open?
Boost pressure? (running straight centre box)
Air feed? (running RAI)

no remap, standard intercooler, original Boost hoses, Currently Bleeding redex in run up to MOT

or is this something else? Or standard?

Cheers OB I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #737536 30th Oct 2018 10:26am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I would be tempted to try a MAF sensor, or even drive with yours unplugged and see how it feels.

Andy.
Post #737699 30th Oct 2018 9:42pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ah could be a driver demand error. I am having trouble with this at the moment. As i am driving, especially on hills or accelerating i get to a point and the engine seems to lose power suddenly. very bizarre...

Anyway, nano com says it is a driver demand 1 error, which is either the pedal or more than likely the wiring between the pedal and the ECU... I mean to splice in a new loom ASAP.

Do you have a Nanocom handy OsloBlue?
Post #737710 30th Oct 2018 10:14pm
OsloBlue

Cheers chaps, happened again but to a lesser extent, as i managed to go through in 2nd gear rather than stop at the same place, my gut feeling is turbo spool down... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #738966 6th Nov 2018 9:36am
landy andy

When I had Acc pedal loom problems it always brought up warning lamp. It’s not going into overboost is it?
Post #739002 6th Nov 2018 12:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My Disco2 (which I know has an entirely different ECU) did something very similar when one of the throttle potentiometer tracks began to fail. If would lose power (like a huge flat spot) but wouldn't light the MIL unless you jiggled the pedal and caused a burst of faults in a short time, then the MIL would light and it would drop into limp mode, which would reset with an ignition off/on cycle.

It would log DTCs for the faulty track, but only ever activated the MIL and limp mode if a number of faults occurred in a limited time.

Replacing the accelerator, a horrible job on a D2, solved the problem completely.
Post #739032 6th Nov 2018 6:16pm
landy andy

Swapping pedal on Defender is easy if required Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #739043 6th Nov 2018 7:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
My Disco2 (which I know has an entirely different ECU) did something very similar when one of the throttle potentiometer tracks began to fail. If would lose power (like a huge flat spot) but wouldn't light the MIL unless you jiggled the pedal and caused a burst of faults in a short time, then the MIL would light and it would drop into limp mode, which would reset with an ignition off/on cycle.

It would log DTCs for the faulty track, but only ever activated the MIL and limp mode if a number of faults occurred in a limited time.

Replacing the accelerator, a horrible job on a D2, solved the problem completely.

This is precisely Miffy's problem and no MIL lamp at all, just Driver Demand codes; step 1 will be the wiring and if that does not work then step 2 will be the pedal itself.
Post #739349 8th Nov 2018 4:48pm
OsloBlue

i think... and i say i think because its just a hunch... I may have found it.

Stop start traffic for 30 mins from home, never touched the accelerator once. Clutched it most of the way...

I managed to get the same results... under powered, but this time no over revving.

Possibly clutch slip or failure for clutch pump to fully engage...

Under powered then slowly catches up, Change gear, under powered change gear. under powered catches up and feels Ok. Fully remove foot off clutch... seems ok now... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #766149 30th Mar 2019 10:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1