↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Rust and the anti corrosion warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Softail

Scotland 
Rust and the anti corrosion warranty
Hello, posting to see if anyone can provide words of advice (or even assurance!). I'm worried about whether my anti corrosion warranty will cover certain corrosion to my vehicle (as I've been reading on here that the metal might need to be fully perforated for the warranty to be valid!).

I have a Dec 2014 Station Wagon. My third Defender, and I was planning for it to be a keeper, so its had a very gentle life and has been well looked after!

During the last 6 months, rust has appeared in a number of areas. The running foot-boards used when stepping into the vehicle, the two door mirrors, and at the base of the windscreen where the paint is bubbling very badly (I don't want to even touch this areas as the silver paint will fall off quite easily).

There's the usual surface rust visible on parts of the chassis and rear cross member. Given my previous Defender experience, I can accept surface rust in these areas no problem, and have treated it with ACF50 to keep it very superficial.

The rust in the other areas mentioned above is very different than anything I've had on previous vehicles, and is deteriorating very quickly indeed.

So, I guess my question is do you think I have any chance of Landrover repairing this corrosion? My local dealership is in Edinburgh, and on occasions I've had tremendous service from them, and on other occasions I've had some unfortunate customer experience. Guess I'm feeling vulnerable that related posts suggest it's down to the attitude of my dealership on whether or these areas will be repaired under warranty.

Do you think it's worth me taking the vehicle to the dealership, and if so, any advice on how I should "approach" them to increase the probability of success? Love the vehicle, as it's the best Defender I've had, but feeling gutted at this heavy metal blistering and paint corrosion.

Many thanks in advance, Mervyn
Post #765635 27th Mar 2019 12:30pm
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I've just had warranty work done on MY14 Puma. I was told by my local dealership that the 6 year corrosion warranty only covers the bodywork and not bolt on items, so in my case they resolved the corrosion around the window frame but not the window blocks.

If they apply the letter of the law to your case then side steps would not be covered or your wing mirrors as they are also bolt on items.

That being said those items are relatively cheap and the work on the window frame runs into the thousands, in my case it is now also covered under a new 3 year warranty with the body-shop who performed the work on behalf of JLR.

I was ok with the above... it is what is stated on the LR website.

I know when this has been discussed previously others have had different experiences and it is down to the individual dealership with what they will cover, even though they do have to send their report off to LR for review and approval.

https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/warr...ranty.html
Post #765640 27th Mar 2019 12:55pm
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hopefully these photos also help... the window frame only showed a tiny bubble on the side, and this was approved... it was far worse once the window was out...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #765643 27th Mar 2019 1:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
X4CAC wrote:
... I was told by my local dealership that the 6 year corrosion warranty only covers the bodywork and not bolt on items ...l

Whatever you do in that case don't point out to them that the entire body (in fact the entire vehicle) is bolted together!

My experience with LR's anti-corrosion warranty suggests that it only applies to parts which are not actually corroded, and that the presence of corrosion invalidates it (I appreciate that this is a cynical view however and others have had reasonable results from their dealers).
Post #765646 27th Mar 2019 1:24pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I recently got a window block, grille surround and rear crossmember re-sprayed under warranty on our MY16 90. They replaced the side steps as these were originally fixed to the vehicle but not the rear NAS step because it was bolted on after it left the factory and therefore only subject to 1 year warranty.

Previous MY13 110 had the window blocks, hinges and windscreen frame re-sprayed.

The 6 year corrosion warranty should cover your corrosion, especially at the base of the windscreen which will be worse than it looks when the screen is removed. Maybe not the side steps.
Post #765664 27th Mar 2019 2:45pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Totally agree with milesr3, you should be fine getting this done. I've had several bits of paint work done under warranty - windscreen surround (all the way around) and wheels. If your dealership doesn't play ball, go down the road to the next one, or engage CRC. Some folk laugh at the mention but they (eventually) get a result if you are persistent.

Good luck!! Thumbs Up
Post #765670 27th Mar 2019 3:34pm
nitram17

CRC? Embarassed Im a product of th 60's so i forget some of the obvious stuff!.
Post #765674 27th Mar 2019 3:46pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
The customer relations bods, now known as the UK Customer Experience Centre. I think they are on 01926 691661.

Thanks,

Huttopia
Post #765685 27th Mar 2019 4:37pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My 2015 90 is going to be inspected next month by my local dealer for corrosion on the bulkhead, the corner seams just above the rain channel at the bottom of the windscreen. They have said they will take photographs and send through to JLR for approval, so fingers crossed.

Last year (the vehicle was 3 years old) had both rock sliders and the folding rear step replaced under warranty due to corrosion.

I think a lot depends on your relationship with your dealer and their relationship with JLR warranty dept. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #765702 27th Mar 2019 6:04pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My 2015 90 had exactly the same corrosion issues with the side steps and rear step. Replaced without any quibble by the dealer under warranty. Luckily, I have no other body corrosion.....visible yet! Shocked 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #765812 28th Mar 2019 4:20pm
Softail

Scotland 
Thank-you very much all. So you’ve garnered me to tackle this with the dealership and try and get their cooperation. Will phone them tomorrow and hope for the best! Here’s hoping 🤓
Post #765876 28th Mar 2019 10:19pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Re: Rust and the anti corrosion warranty
Softail wrote:
Hello, posting to see if anyone can provide words of advice (or even assurance!). I'm worried about whether my anti corrosion warranty will cover certain corrosion to my vehicle (as I've been reading on here that the metal might need to be fully perforated for the warranty to be valid!).

I have a Dec 2014 Station Wagon. My third Defender, and I was planning for it to be a keeper, so its had a very gentle life and has been well looked after!

During the last 6 months, rust has appeared in a number of areas. The running foot-boards used when stepping into the vehicle, the two door mirrors, and at the base of the windscreen where the paint is bubbling very badly (I don't want to even touch this areas as the silver paint will fall off quite easily).

There's the usual surface rust visible on parts of the chassis and rear cross member. Given my previous Defender experience, I can accept surface rust in these areas no problem, and have treated it with ACF50 to keep it very superficial.

The rust in the other areas mentioned above is very different than anything I've had on previous vehicles, and is deteriorating very quickly indeed.

So, I guess my question is do you think I have any chance of Landrover repairing this corrosion? My local dealership is in Edinburgh, and on occasions I've had tremendous service from them, and on other occasions I've had some unfortunate customer experience. Guess I'm feeling vulnerable that related posts suggest it's down to the attitude of my dealership on whether or these areas will be repaired under warranty.

Do you think it's worth me taking the vehicle to the dealership, and if so, any advice on how I should "approach" them to increase the probability of success? Love the vehicle, as it's the best Defender I've had, but feeling gutted at this heavy metal blistering and paint corrosion.

Many thanks in advance, Mervyn

Good Morning Mervyn

Thank you for your post.

The JLR Corrosion Warranty covers the below:

Jaguar Land Rover provide a 6 year corrosion warranty. Should any part of the bodywork of the vehicle be perforated by corrosion, the panel(s) affected by the perforation will be repaired or replaced by a Jaguar Land Rover dealer completely free of charge, regardless of any change in vehicle ownership.

NOTE: The term 'perforated' means a hole that penetrates through the bodywork caused by corrosion from the inside or underside as a result of faulty manufacture or materials. The term 'bodywork' does not include road wheels and attachments such as bright trim, bumpers, mouldings and hinges.

Should you require any assistance with your concerns when visiting your retailer, please do not hesitate to contact me and I would be more than happy to help.

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK
Post #765920 29th Mar 2019 10:37am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
CRC@LandRover wrote:

The JLR Corrosion Warranty covers the below:
Jaguar Land Rover provide a 6 year corrosion warranty. Should any part of the bodywork of the vehicle be perforated by corrosion, the panel(s) affected by the perforation will be repaired or replaced by a Jaguar Land Rover dealer completely free of charge, regardless of any change in vehicle ownership.

NOTE: The term 'perforated' means a hole that penetrates through the bodywork caused by corrosion from the inside or underside as a result of faulty manufacture or materials.
Dan - Land Rover UK

Dan, a company like JLR should be ashamed of hiding behind those terms “perforated” and “a hole”. The type of rust which will start from underneath and which eventually will perforate a panel and become a hole, may be visibly developing for years before it actually becomes a perforation or a hole. A company respecting itself and their customers would repair such rust from the outset, as soon as it becomes visible.
So in JLR case, people can see such new body panel rust developing from underneath at say year 4 or 5, but by the time the Defender turns 6 years of age there is no perforation or real hole yet, and the JLR retailer and Solihull may say sorry, no perforation or hole, so you’re on your own. Scandal really.
Get real guys, if you ever want me to buy another JLR product, you’ll have to get better than that ridiculous @rse covering.
Luckily in reality things work better, guess all depends on dealer and country involved.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #765961 29th Mar 2019 2:51pm
newton-tony

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

My MY14 110 also has rust around the windscreen and window block issues so appreciate the guidance in this thread. I will be talking with my local dealer very soon...

I also have a lacquer issue on one of the wings - will this be covered under warranty?
Post #766465 1st Apr 2019 9:20pm
Softail

Scotland 
Those pics are an exact match for the corrosion on mine. Even the same side of th windscreen!
Post #766468 1st Apr 2019 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>