↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bbus help required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Bbus help required
Largely driven by panic when I saw a chap under m defender in a car park, he said he was retrieving a letter he dropped, I purchased a Bbus wiring loom extension kit from Deerfold on here last week.
It did take a while for the penny to drop and to realise that I did not have clue what to do with it. My car is a 2015 90 Puma TdCi. Any assistance in fitting it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
A somewhat confused, (not difficult these days) Big Cry
Swine
ps. Small was not much help either Rolling with laughter 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #764990 23rd Mar 2019 3:21pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Blimey, id of wanted to see the letter, and id of taken a pic of him!!, maybe of followed him to his vehical and got the details lol!!!! Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #765002 23rd Mar 2019 4:57pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'm thinking that being a 2015 it should already have the standard BBUS siren fitted.
Easy to tell (assuming it is working and hasn't failed like mine had Sad ).
Just trigger an alarm or disconnect the main battery. If you hear a siren as well as the vehicle horn, you have the BBUS fitted.

Let's assume it is fitted.

Firstly you need to remove the passenger side headlamp so you can access the BBUS unit. It is tucked away above and behind the headlamp unit.

Next you need to unbolt the BBUS unit and unplug the 4 pin connector that plugs into it.
To unplug the connector without triggering the siren you need to switch on the ignition, switch off the ignition and if I recall correctly disconnect the main battery within 10 seconds. Then you can unplug the harness from the BBUS unit.

Now plug the BBUS extension wiring into the loom and feed the extension back along the inner wing inside the engine bay area and plug the end of the extension into the relocated BBUS. The trick is to relocate the BBUS unit somewhere within the engine bay so that to reach it, the bonnet has to be opened which triggers the alarm.

I mounted mine on the passenger footwell right next to the heater box. There is a captive bolt holding the heater box in place that you can use to do this. From memory, the bolt is very close to where the lever/cable controlling the fresh or recirculating heater air selector goes into the heater box. The existing u shaped bracket on the BBUS unit has a hole which the captive bolt will slot through. Just make sure the bracket doesn't foul the air circulation cable/lever.
You can plug the harness in first before positioning the unit as this makes it easier.

Reconnect the battery and job done. For peace of mind, trigger another alarm just to be sure it still works.
Hope this helps.
Post #765004 23rd Mar 2019 5:09pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
That is brilliant and so appreciated. My alarm works as I set it off by mistake the other day and Small almost had a heart attack. I will set to with this tomorrow. Hope that it is another layer of security covered.
Regards Swine 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #765008 23rd Mar 2019 5:37pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Swine, it is a while since I moved mine and I no longer have the Defender to check, but before you remove the headlamp unit, just check to see if you can reach the BBUS siren from inside the bonnet area. I can't remember if there is access to reach up into the front inner wing area, or if the radiator and/or other bodywork panels won't allow you to get to the BBUS.

I do remember removing my headlight and reaching up to locate/undo the BBUS, but can't remember if that was actually the way I extracted it !!!!
Post #765013 23rd Mar 2019 6:01pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Ok. LOHR,
Thanks for the advice ,I will check and be careful Thumbs Up
Regards 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #765015 23rd Mar 2019 6:05pm
Rkcorry

Not something you would like to see on returning to your Defender.
Possibly a plausible excuse, though I would have a route around underneath for any sign of anything attached, ie a tracker of sorts.
This type of incident is getting more common with high end bicycles where a small tracker is attached in a public place, though the bike is not taken until later at a time and location much less conspicuous.

Again I would hope for an innocent excuse....
Post #765060 23rd Mar 2019 9:06pm
nitram17

lohr500 wrote:
I'm thinking that being a 2015 it should already have the standard BBUS siren fitted.
Easy to tell (assuming it is working and hasn't failed like mine had Sad ).
Just trigger an alarm or disconnect the main battery. If you hear a siren as well as the vehicle horn, you have the BBUS fitted.

Let's assume it is fitted.

Firstly you need to remove the passenger side headlamp so you can access the BBUS unit. It is tucked away above and behind the headlamp unit.

Next you need to unbolt the BBUS unit and unplug the 4 pin connector that plugs into it.
To unplug the connector without triggering the siren you need to switch on the ignition, switch off the ignition and if I recall correctly disconnect the main battery within 10 seconds. Then you can unplug the harness from the BBUS unit.

Now plug the BBUS extension wiring into the loom and feed the extension back along the inner wing inside the engine bay area and plug the end of the extension into the relocated BBUS. The trick is to relocate the BBUS unit somewhere within the engine bay so that to reach it, the bonnet has to be opened which triggers the alarm.

I mounted mine on the passenger footwell right next to the heater box. There is a captive bolt holding the heater box in place that you can use to do this. From memory, the bolt is very close to where the lever/cable controlling the fresh or recirculating heater air selector goes into the heater box. The existing u shaped bracket on the BBUS unit has a hole which the captive bolt will slot through. Just make sure the bracket doesn't foul the air circulation cable/lever.
You can plug the harness in first before positioning the unit as this makes it easier.

Reconnect the battery and job done. For peace of mind, trigger another alarm just to be sure it still works.
Hope this helps.

As an extra security step i would extend the feed from the bonnet alarm trigger to the headlight panel (with a switch)and when they unscrew the panel the alarm will go off ......you might scare them off before they do anymore damage.
Post #765066 23rd Mar 2019 9:25pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that tip
Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #765085 23rd Mar 2019 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1