Home > Off Topic > them next door
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
them next door
just putting it out there.

put yourself in their shoes for a moment......

if you lived on a typical residential estate where the vast majority of it is made up of detached houses built circa 1980's. the entire estate of say 200 houses is open plan ie no walls or fences in the front gardens. those with additional gardens to the front which are say shared between the houses opposite (when I say additional gardens some might call them 'greens' when the houses are set further back). any how say you own one of the larger houses ie 5 bed, twin garge , cul-de-sac position etc. nice green in front etc.
THEN. your neighbour sells up. new occupants move in and before consultation with planning decide the green should be turned into their own car park with new surrounding wall. a new wall then pops up in front of the house / garden too. Then a letter lands on the front mat notifying you of their plans to turn the house into a nursery for 51 children and obviously all of the coming and goings of cars that will be associated with that.

would you be pleased, not bothered or other. be interested to know you thoughts on this.
Post #764048 17th Mar 2019 8:15pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I’d be livid.
Post #764052 17th Mar 2019 8:24pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think it is natural to be selfish about these things. You bought your house at least in part due to its surroundings. Anything that is perceived to reduce what made it attractive in the first place is bound to get your back up. Doubly so if it could have detrimental effect on the value of your own property. I would not be happy. Not the same, but we had a similar situation in our area where a new neighbour has decided to turn a small paddock on green belt into some sort of storage compound for household detritus, complete with concrete fence, a track ploughed through an unspoiled embankment with a bulldozer and two alsation on chains as security. Whilst the council were quick to intervene to stop work and a retrospective planning application failed, there seems to be no movement in getting the land restored to its previous attractive state. The damage has been done. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #764053 17th Mar 2019 8:26pm
Caterham

/\ yep I'd be livid too.

thankfully it's not my next door neighbour but it's not that far away either.
35 objections have been submitted to the council and guess what in their correspondence it states that any loss in house is not their concern / issue!

it's times like this I start to that homicide is perhaps quite understandable Mr. Green ...almost acceptable Very Happy
Post #764059 17th Mar 2019 8:53pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
gutted for you,

I live near Birmingham Business park, they have just build a big ware house about 1/8th-1/4 of a mile from my house and I can see it lit up like a christmas tree from the rear of the garden just great! DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #764060 17th Mar 2019 8:56pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
That does sound terrible. They'll need planning consent to run a nursery, which should assess the impact of traffic etc. I'd take it up with the council. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #764062 17th Mar 2019 9:05pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
First thing is to have a close look at the deeds and see what covenants/conditions are attached. There may well be restrictions on what can and cannot be done with the front gardens i.e. no boundary walls/fences/hedges etc.

Start speaking to the planning department and local councillors about the proposed change of use.

Start looking at the requirements for nurseries. Now I am guessing under OFSTED (?) requirements there will be security conditions etc attached. i.e. fences/gates etc which may well not be in keeping with the residential estate. Then there is traffic management to look at. Parking for say 6-10 staff plus drop off and pick up by 30/40/50 cars?

Good luck, start your research.

Brendan
Post #764064 17th Mar 2019 9:07pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Illegal, Planning is required under use class order 1987 from Class C residential to Class D1 public services, generally requires consent of neighbours and council.

Is the Grass Area a "common area" lawn or private property?

LR i have a driving range 1.5Km and another larger one 3.0KM away, but we back out onto farmland. I can see plumes of light in the sky all the time as they're 24/7. As a child i could see the stars and the smokey cities skyscrapers from where i live, no longer.

I got lost one night and found my way back home by orientating myself with the beacons.

Funnily enough the farmer owns the land and has attempted to repossess the closer one by terminating the lease, but the golf club stooges has successfully sued him for loss of earnings should they close.

Its a shame because we do serious night shoots out back with hi tech tubular NV gear, and because of the plumes generated by the ranges it messes with them and they shut off to prevent exposure. There have been some night the light Has bee so obtrusive to my sleep that i have genuinely considered going down there and shooting out the spotlights falling down style...

Also they Built an ALDI, just off the motorway, but the entrance is a left off a motorway at a crossroad junction, then left at a T junction less than 5m from motorway, then left nto my road via another T junction 15 ms from the last junction making the traffic a nightmare, its taken me 30 mins to get out the end of my road, add to the fact theres no parking people park outside my place, and they come racing down a 30MPH residential street at 60mph has resulted in many wing mirrors smashed and static crashes...

For that sole reason i hate golf & aldi, as i'm sure you're going to hate nurseries... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html

Last edited by OsloBlue on 17th Mar 2019 9:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #764067 17th Mar 2019 9:21pm
Caterham

/\ agreed.

the immediate neighbours are on the case. call me cynical but even in light of all the various things noted above ie lease, etc etc I suspect it'll be successful.

it's located on the corner of a cul-de-sac less than 50 mtrs from another junction of a reasonably main road (40mph).
the submitted plans although close in appearance to what they're doing are clearly a little miss leading as is the planning proposal which at best has little white lies in there to make it all sound rather good. deception in my book.

parking opposite the cul-de-sac is already an issue (very minor) due to people parking up to take their dogs for a walk. now opposite these cars there's going to be mum's dropping kids off - minor problem will become big problem and a dangerous one at that.

BUT I suspect they'll still get away with it.
and if they do get away with it I would certainly have no sympathy for them should homicide fall upon them via their neighbours..... it get to the point where people think there is no other option. I could imagine the neighbours thinking we've been screwed over and the only option left is to dispose of the neighbours Very Happy

If I were the neighbour I'd be spitting feathers and printing off blue prints on how to build an artillery gun Razz
Post #764068 17th Mar 2019 9:22pm
OsloBlue

Also if i were you i would bally up, go for a walk one night, smash the wall down, then go for another walk and stay out or something.

Not compelling you to actually do it, but if you don't it might become mired in beurocracy.

Also do you have a map image i have a friend who works as an planning applications guy who might be able to give some advice, if you want to PM me I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #764070 17th Mar 2019 9:26pm
Caterham

[quote="OsloBlue"]Illegal, Planning is required under use class order 1987 from Class C residential to Class D1 public services, generally requires consent of neighbours and council.

Is the Grass Area a "common area" lawn or private property?

yep they've applied for change of use. /\ 'generally requires consent of neighbours and council....... or you simply need the same surname as head of planning Question

The grass area appears to be common but in fact is demised / split up and is associated with the house in front of it.
Post #764071 17th Mar 2019 9:27pm
Caterham

sorry forgot to ask.
does anyone have a mortar tube and ammo for sale please?
Post #764072 17th Mar 2019 9:28pm
OsloBlue

bit off a scaffold i think...

Please note its properly decommissioned before anyone calls the police I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #764074 17th Mar 2019 9:35pm
Caterham

decommissioned?

I think you misunderstood my intentions Mr. Green

and besides it's much smaller than I was thinking Laughing
Post #764079 17th Mar 2019 10:05pm
OsloBlue

Yeah no i just didn't want to be "swatted" by someone who perhaps might not understand.

Back when i was in the army, we would have regular talks about Domestic terror groups and how we had to report any suspicious behaviour up the chain, Couple months after that, some blokes from the local infantry regiment were caught as members of National action, i knew one professionally, and another was a friends cousin.

Funny story time, we had a young officer cadet attached straight out of uni, he left his workstation unlocked so someone decided to teach him a lesson on PERSEC & OPSEC by typing in "how to make bombs in the name of communism" (he was idealistic and leaning of the left, not abnormally so for a regular citizen, but far too left for us to be comfortable with)

No one pressed enter on his keyboard but someone (GCHQ?) picked up on it at least being put in before it was erased, and within minutes MPs were dispatched to thoroughly question him, he came back to the desk moments later none the wiser, and the door flung open, and was subjected to a puzzling interview about radicalism which was unintentionally fuelled by our comments.

Anyway he learnt his lesson on locking the computer after hours of interview. Anyway nice chap, doing well these days... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #764082 17th Mar 2019 10:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>