↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Want to build a truck at home? A few pointers.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I know a guy who has done quite a few restorations by working an hour and a half three to four nights a week. Even if he is really into the job he will down tools after an hour and a half... I have tried it and it does work on the longer boring jobs like paint\underseal removal. Don,t exhaust yourself physically or mentally is the idea of course, it keeps you fresh and motivated.

Another tip is to coat your new galvanised chassis in something prior to the build. Sounds obvious but many paint there chassis after they completed the build Confused Galvanising doesn't make it rot proof, it is only a sacrificial layer of zinc where wet mud for instance inside the box sections can rot through surprisingly quickly. Put on a permanent black layer of "paint" when new and it will last decades. E.g. Dinitrol, Chassis black, like POR-15 etc etc, don,t forget to etch prime if necessary. I used a commercial black paint used for galvanised farm structures on my Series II restoration, worked a treat Thumbs Up and it was free Wink
Post #763291 13th Mar 2019 10:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kizmax

Ireland 1993 Defender 130 200 Tdi HCPU Corris Grey
Well greeni that’s some great advice and nice to see you put in some about the work life balance , happy wife happy life is so true ,. I’m about to tackle a 1993 130 double cab hi cap
I’m Also trying to arrange the building of a 40x30 shed as my garage won’t take my hobbies
I’m also working on a rhd suburban
2 vintage Mitsubishi pajero s
A 1990 Ford transit ambulance
Now that I’ve written this down
I think I must be crackers
Happy Christmas all
Post #873893 20th Dec 2020 7:36pm
LiftedDisco

So… just to bring this thread back to life, and without wishing to flout the generally accepted rule about ‘no IVA posts’, I thought I would offer my thoughts…

Many, many years ago, I decided I was ‘bored’ with a standard Discovery and had my mind swayed but the thought of building a Tornado. A what??? Basically, it’s a Defender style body, dropped onto a 100” wheelbase, in this instance a very sad looking (£400) Range Rover Classic chassis.

Suffice it to say, I stripped the donor vehicle to its’ very basics, sold panels and various components that recovered the original purchase price and then set off on an orgy of new bushes, bearings and components - I am now well acquainted with our postman…

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Due to the fact that I have taken 18” out of the back of the chassis, this has triggered a requirement to put the vehicle through an IVA test - a four-hour appointment with the man from the Ministry, armed with a clipboard and a slightly disconcerting frown…

A few silly issues and it’s due for retest in early May..

Best skill learned - Welding
Best tool bought - pillar drill, fabulous for fabricating brackets etc
What should I have done — stripped the engine etc out and then painted the whole chassis / frame
How long did it take - far longer than I wanted, but ‘normal’ life got in the way and, as a result, I’m still married and have seen the kids grow up
Why? Because I wanted a challenge!

Our daughter gets married in June and (subject to the retest and registration) wants it at the wedding - they are a mix of equestrian and off-road 4x4 race car fabrication (hence the photo on the future son-in-law’s ramp), so think it will be in good company!

Good luck to anyone doing a build or refurbishment…
Post #990106 23rd Apr 2023 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12