↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > 1989 v8 fuel pump, fuse loom issue...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Al_Brown

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Rutland Red
1989 v8 fuel pump, fuse loom issue...
Hi all, helping a friend out, and replaced the ignition dizzy coil leads etc to sort a misfire, fixed the spark issue but now won’t start as no fuel at the carbs. It also has an old school LPG conversion which means there is a lot of additional wiring.

I broke apart the 2 pin plug to the fuel pump (black and white with purple) and no power, traced the loom up to the bulkhead and through a connector to another white with purple, before it disappears behind the dash. No power here either.

I’ve checked every fuse behind the panel, all good, the three relays don’t appear to be fuel pump (no white and purple either),

So:

1. Where is the fuel pump relay?
2. Where is the fuel pump fuse?
3. The only white and purple I can see is behind the clocks and near there is the LPG changeover switch!

Any help much appreciated!!!!
Post #762343 7th Mar 2019 3:04pm
Al_Brown

A bit more on this...

I removed the clocks to find half of an old immobiliser loom and one box. I also traced a small white and purple wire to a relay behind the clocks and am guessing this is the fuel pump relay.

There is an intermittent fault with the fuel pump supply, either from the LPG controller or one of its associated relays..

Clearly more digging needed to get this going!

After charging the batteries I got the pump whirring into life (it’s new and so is the tank) then it stopped. Engine runs well when there is fuel LOL.

Very frustrating, tempted to run a switch to feed the fuel pump and be done with it...!
Post #762890 11th Mar 2019 2:14pm
dorsetsmith

IF you have a v8i

fuel pump white/ purple wire goto switch inertia from the switch to RH side of engine compartment fuel relay and main relay in

relay module

fuel pump relay switch contacts feed from fuse 6 15 amp fuse box engine compartment

fuel pump relay coil feed from ignition switch vier fuse 20 20 amp passenger compartment

black wire to chassis

Click image to enlarge

IF you have a CARB V8

Click image to enlarge
Post #762903 11th Mar 2019 3:48pm
Al_Brown

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Wow, that's really useful and helpful of you dorsetsmith! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I have a few questions as the set up on this one is a little different.

It has an electronic points kit fitted, and I replaced the coil with a Lucas sport one. The old coil had a condenser but the earth to it and the wiring had rotten to the point it fell apart on removal. When I fitted the new condenser and the new coil (keeping all the wiring the same to the coil but re-crimped with new conntectors) but adding a decent earth to the condeser, when I turned on the ignition the condenser got really really hot to I snipped the earth wire to it and that seemed to solve the issue. It started and ran beautifully until the fuel pump started playing up. Q - should the condenser be fitted and earthed?

There are also two yellows, and two white wires fitted to the coil, unlike the diagram in the post above, I suspect that these are something to do with the LPG conversion? One of the white wires to the positive side of the coil has an inline fuse fitted too....? Any ideas anyone?

oh and the pictures are from when I was replacing the ht/dizzy and coil so it looks a lot better now!
Post #762988 12th Mar 2019 7:54am
Al_Brown

Also,

Here is a pic inside the dizzy, there is one wire to the dizzy from the coil, and the other wire goes to one (of 2) connections that run up on the drivers side of the engine. One of these wires is a white and purple (disconnected) and the other is white (connected)...

Im hoping that the white and purple is the fuel pump latch ? But.. inside the connector it looks like it hasn't been connected for years...should this go somewhere!!!???

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #762991 12th Mar 2019 8:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1